Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Thinking of Plans for Next Year - Combine SC 3 & 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Plans for Next Year - Combine SC 3 & 4?

Good afternoon,

I am trying to organize my initial plans for next year before Sodalitas begins next week. I am so looking forward to it!

I've done readiness assessments for everybody to help make plans.

My youngest is pretty straightforward -- we will continue SC C, adding Foundation in Sounds and then Barton level 1. I'm leaning toward giving FSR a shot by using some Barton techniques and tiles along with the lessons, which should be pretty easy since I own Barton levels 1-4. He needs to focus on auditory discrimination of sounds, phonemic awareness, and fine motor skills, along with lots of sensory input and exercise. He has loved what we've done of SC 3 so far, especially the animals, Aesop, and poetry.

My older two are a bit more complex. Math is no problem -- C is beginning R&S 3 and A is beginning R&S 4. We're still working our way through NAC 1. I plan to work through it at an accelerated pace and then move on to NAC 2.

I did the readiness assessments for both of them for levels 3, 4, and 5/6. Neither one is ready for 5/6 -- A got 83% on reading, 13% on writing and spelling, 90% on language, and 45% on social. C got 67% on reading, 25% on writing and spelling, 100% on language, and 64% on social. In SC 3 they both scored 100% in everything except for writing and spelling -- both can use their own words to write simple sentences and copy sentences correctly (although A's tend to be messier than C's), but we're still working on the cursive. For SC 4, both got 100% in reading and language. A got 29% yes, 14% emerging, 57% no in writing and spelling. C got 43% yes, 43% emerging, and 14% no on writing and spelling. A got 60% yes and 40% emerging on social. C got 100% yes on social.

So it seems that SC 4 looks to be the best place for them? We've been doing SC 3 this year but have been very inconsistent since December -- I had major surgery, then we moved. We've been the most consistent with math and Barton. However, Barton is a major struggle for us. Again, the spelling seems to be holding us up. A has been working on the 1st 5 lessons of level 4 for a year and just cannot seem to master the spelling rules at the sentence level consistently. C has finished level 3 pretty easily. I'm considering giving SC a trial for phonics and spelling, perhaps using some Barton techniques, syllable division rules, etc, but switching away from it as the main program.

I'm considering skipping the rest of MST and Wagon Wheels, and starting out with Prairie School. While we are doing that, we could finish NAC 1. Maybe we could do some words to know from SC spelling 2? They have both learned to spell a number of sight words in Barton, so they may know most of them. Then perhaps we could move on to SC 4 reading and spelling? I'd like to stay the course with SC 3 Christian studies, so that they've gotten through the Bible completely one time before beginning CS 1. I definitely want them to do some grammar, it is desperately needed. Maybe we could do Prima and the grammar in SC 4. From what I understand Prima is five vocab words a lesson plus a grammar lesson? If we didn't do that, I'd want to add another grammar program. I'm unsure what the composition is in SC 4. I don't know if we should go with that, or stay with the SC 3 writing. We've been doing the read aloud edition, but would probably switch to the Bible edition so that we don't fall behind. I'm also unsure about enrichment, I was thinking we might continue the American history readers from level 3 but just team read them each day for a certain amount of time and move on. We'd just cover whatever we get done. I would wait on introducing myths and the Don't Know Much about the 50 States book until Greek Myths and States and Capitals. Both kids really want to do science, I'm thinking Mammals? I honestly never get to the science topics from SC 3 because it's not open and go.

Does this seem like a reasonable mesh of SC 3 and 4? Too much? Am I crazy to think we could accomplish that? They are getting older -- I'm calling this their 5th grade year. I'm okay with history and science taking longer than typical school year. I'd want to attempt to keep up with the planned pace for the other subjects.

Thanks so much!
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Hi, Susan.

For G - SC C with additional help in phonics & reading sounds perfect.

For A & C - I think you could combine SC 3 & 4 if you do this carefully and without too much zeal. Writing & spelling are the weakest areas for both, so you might consider taking time to teach only these:
    1. SC 3 Writing (Bible or American history)
    2. SC 3 Spelling (SC Spelling Two)
    3. American History Read-Aloud Set in order (Fwiw, the science really is open-and-go if you have the Science Read-Aloud Set. You can simply read those science books along with the American history read-alouds. Your little G could sit in all of them. Just a thought but not essential.)
    4. Prairie School with guide, as you suggested
    5. Finish NAC
    You might do all of this first along with your math. When you finish the above 5 items, you might all feel more satisfied. Then you could proceed to SC 4 as written. This includes Mammals. This also includes Prima with its inherent grammar.

However, I know you're a hard worker. If you wanted to combine the above 5 SC 3 items while teaching SC 4, … AND if you know you have time & good health to do so, you could do everything simultaneously. Then, as you mentioned, you would wait on much of the SC 4 Enrichment (except Mammals) until SC 5&6.

Comment

I'm with Cheryl! I think we do try to complicate things! I just wanted some clarification on where you are at with the SC3 Christian Studies. Were/Are you using the SC Writing Book 2 with it? How far into it are you? I think juggling 3 kids who need a lot of direct teaching means we just have to drop some things. I really, really like SC spelling book 2. I think even if some of the words are maybe easy, the routines set forth in the book are worth the purchase alone. Get your kids in a good routine with this. This is something they can do together (a portion while you work with your SC-C'er). You are to make all the words on index cards and then play games with them. The boys can play memory/go fish with them. There are other activities as well that you can set up independent "spelling stations". (I would spend a few weeks ensuring they know how to do them correctly before making it completely independent).

If you do the 5 things Cheryl suggests + SCC and your day seems like it could take on more, add Mammals. I actually divided mammals up over almost the whole week. Day 1 was simply read the material. Day 2 was answer 1/2 the questions, Day 3 was the other 1/2 and Day 4 was for the drawings. I did print the Mammals review cards and she did those independently while I worked with another child. Obviously it took her longer the more weeks we went into it.

Anyway, I am repeating, but do only the 5 things + SCC and see if you don't feel good about their progress!!! In another year, after their phonics and reading is better you can tackle more/different things. Good luck! Can't wait to see you next week!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Thanks for your response Cheryl.

I think my main struggle is that we have 4 years until they need to be doing high school level work. I feel so far behind. I've been trying to map out a way for them to begin SC 5/6 or 3M (in my dreams 3A) by next fall. I worry that if I wait to finish the SC 3 material, that will be impossible. Perhaps we could transition from SC 3 to 3M if we did the SC 4 literature? Maybe skip Prima entirely? Or I just need to stay the course (finish the SC 3 materials as you suggest above, then do SC 4). I'm quite conflicted.

We are generally healthy now -- no surgeries, etc on the horizon, but our time is limited. We will have therapy two afternoons a week and co-op one day since we're new to the area and need it to establish friendships. So two full and 3 part days at home per week if we don't do any other outside daytime activities.
        Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          I'm with Cheryl! I think we do try to complicate things! I just wanted some clarification on where you are at with the SC3 Christian Studies. Were/Are you using the SC Writing Book 2 with it? How far into it are you? I think juggling 3 kids who need a lot of direct teaching means we just have to drop some things. I really, really like SC spelling book 2. I think even if some of the words are maybe easy, the routines set forth in the book are worth the purchase alone. Get your kids in a good routine with this. This is something they can do together (a portion while you work with your SC-C'er). You are to make all the words on index cards and then play games with them. The boys can play memory/go fish with them. There are other activities as well that you can set up independent "spelling stations". (I would spend a few weeks ensuring they know how to do them correctly before making it completely independent).

If you do the 5 things Cheryl suggests + SCC and your day seems like it could take on more, add Mammals. I actually divided mammals up over almost the whole week. Day 1 was simply read the material. Day 2 was answer 1/2 the questions, Day 3 was the other 1/2 and Day 4 was for the drawings. I did print the Mammals review cards and she did those independently while I worked with another child. Obviously it took her longer the more weeks we went into it.

Anyway, I am repeating, but do only the 5 things + SCC and see if you don't feel good about their progress!!! In another year, after their phonics and reading is better you can tackle more/different things. Good luck! Can't wait to see you next week!
          We posted at the same time.

I certainly try to complicate things. We've been using the SC Writing Two Read Aloud edition -- we're only on week 6 or so. I was thinking of switching to the Bible edition so that our progress on that one wouldn't be dependent on the history reading.

I need to drum "meet them where they are" into my head over and over again. I'm not sure it will ever stick.

I look forward to seeing you too! And Cheryl!
          Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
            Thanks for your response Cheryl.

I think my main struggle is that we have 4 years until they need to be doing high school level work. I feel so far behind. I've been trying to map out a way for them to begin SC 5/6 or 3M (in my dreams 3A) by next fall. I worry that if I wait to finish the SC 3 material, that will be impossible. Perhaps we could transition from SC 3 to 3M if we did the SC 4 literature? Maybe skip Prima entirely? Or I just need to stay the course (finish the SC 3 materials as you suggest above, then do SC 4). I'm quite conflicted.

We are generally healthy now -- no surgeries, etc on the horizon, but our time is limited. We will have therapy two afternoons a week and co-op one day since we're new to the area and need it to establish friendships. So two full and 3 part days at home per week if we don't do any other outside daytime activities.
            I personally think you could skip Prima and the SC4 Literature, because you have been using Barton. The SC4/MP2 lit guides have a lot of phonics work. If your kids have been using Barton successfully, I think I would finish that and possibly do SC5/6 One year pace after you finish the above 5 things (I would even not do Prairie School). I think you are wise to switch to the Bible Writing, if you are doing the Christian Studies 3 anyway. I personally thought the history writing made things more complicated than they needed to be. I think it is better suited for an even older child who needed help with writing (which is awesome because Cheryl tried to think of everyone who might be using this program@)
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
              I was thinking of switching to the Bible edition so that our progress on that one wouldn't be dependent on the history reading.
              This could be a good idea. If I were you, I would create an accelerated finish to SC 3 so I could begin fresh in fall. This will help you feel less pressured while still covering what they need in writing and spelling.

You can read those AmHist read-alouds any time. Consider after lunch, in the car or late afternoon (e.g., strongest reader reads them aloud while you drive or make dinner), or in the evenings right after dinner before bedtime routines. They do not need to be tied to the writing if it is slowing you down. With the 4th of July coming soon, those books will be good timing!

You might want to create and bring a master plan next week. If you have everything mapped out through high school, you'll know you are covered. Even if things change along the way, it is nice to have the visual map in front of you. Any of us will be happy to look it over & help you tweak if needed.

Comment

Well, I certainly want to take your advice. It is usually spot on.

We are on vacation until mid-August, so I don't know that we can accomplish much until then. This week is me getting my brain together, next is Sodalitas, then the kids go to camp, then the beach, then home, but C is at another camp. Then a week to re-group. So the very earliest we could begin would be August 5, but I had August 12 in mind. Much to ponder for sure.

But it sounds like we need to finish SC 3, so I'll come up with a plan to do it as fast as possible. Maybe we'll take some of our history books with us on our travels. I get caught in the school must happen during scheduled school time mind-set.

Thanks to you and Christine!
                Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Definetly take those books! The year I did it, we read for 20 min, 6-7 days a week. It was hard at first, but then became second nature! I plan to do the same again this year. I have 3 copies of the book so we can all read together!
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Working...
                  X