Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Anyone use Introduction to Classical Studies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Introduction to Classical Studies?

Has anyone used "Introduction to Classical Studies" with a special-needs student?

I am considering it for my to-be 14 year old as independent work. She has read most of "D'Aulaires Greek Myths" already, but I think she would benefit from the review as we did not complete the MP student guide. Although she is considered 8th grade, her reading comprehension is probably more around 6th grade. (She just successfully completed the MP "What's that Bird?" course fairly independently, but answering the workbook questions was a challenge for her.) My intention is to prepare her for Coolidge's "The Trojan War" study and try to begin the study of Homer by her 10th grade year.

The Teacher's guide to "Introduction" has a four-day reading plan with other activities that would be fairly easy to implement. Since we're going to be "officially" teaching our 6-year-old twins this Fall, anything that is open and go is really attractive to me.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Laura
    Laura H.

DD: 14, special-needs (modified 7M Core)
    DD: 11
    DD: 6

This could work very well! I love this set.

When my twins were your daughter's age, we would have been thrilled to have everything laid out so nicely. We taught from these same books but not in such an organized way. You can see via the sample how everything fits together nicely. I think your idea is a very good one.

Tips:
    - Because she is an older student, plan to include the "Honors" components whenever time permits.
    - If you need to answer some of the Roman history questions orally, feel free to modify in this way.
    - If you need to read the Golden Bible stories aloud, consider having your twins listen, possibly drawing, coloring, or otherwise occupying hands as they do.

Comment

Is that book part of a grade level package? I fond the individual item on the website, but don’t see what age/grade it’s recommended for. It looks interesting!

Comment

Hello.

Intro to Classical Studies is one of the first books published by MP. It came before we had individual study guides for Christian Studies, Famous Men of Rome, and D'Aulaires' Greek Myths. Today, we would recommend that you do the individual guides, and that is what we have scheduled in the packages. Intro to Classical Studies was Cheryl Lowe's first attempt at classical curriculum to use in her one-room school. It still works for older students who just want to catch up quickly, but it requires you to read Famous Men of Rome, the entire Golden Children's Bible, and D'Aulaires' Greek Myths in a year so it's a lot to bite off.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks, Tanya.

Laura, Tanya raises a good point. Your daughter is 8th-grade age and has already read Greek Myths, so this might work well for her; however, the overall reading load would be hefty. With her somewhat lower reading level, keep that in mind when deciding. An alternative could be the SC 5&6 One-Year pacing of Christian Studies I & Greek Myths with Christian Studies II & FMOR the following year.

For anyone else reading, as Tanya aptly points out, for most students we recommend the MP 3-6 or SC pacing with accompanying flash cards, memory work, and guides to keep reading amounts reasonable and mastery optimal.

Comment

Thank you for the responses; I appreciate the insights as planning for next year continues. My daughter is showing signs of wanting to accomplish "hard things" and while I certainly do not want to overwhelm her, I want to honor her initiative to rise to challenges and work more independently of me. Either set of plans would accomplish that as we try to create a bridge to high school; it's just a matter of discerning the correct pacing.

Thank you again!

Laura
            Laura H.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimfrey View Post
              Is that book part of a grade level package? I fond the individual item on the website, but don’t see what age/grade it’s recommended for. It looks interesting!
              Kimfrey,

Here is the link to the "Introduction to Classical Studies Set":
              https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...sical-studies/

The website says that it's for grades 3-8. We already own the core texts, so I can tell you that they are excellent. The Teacher Guide has a four-day reading plan that looks very doable. (I am tempted to order it for myself as a bit of what Karen Andreola calls "Mother Culture.")

Laura
              Laura H.

Comment

Originally posted by MarmeeLaura View Post
                (I am tempted to order it for myself as a bit of what Karen Andreola calls "Mother Culture.")

Laura
                I was thinking the exact same thing! 😍

Comment

Working...
                X