Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help for dysgraphia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for dysgraphia

Hello! My name is Kelly Jo and I am new to this forum. I am currently homeschooling my 7 year old son using level 1 of the Simply Classical curriculum. He has not been formerly tested, but I am pretty sure he has dysgraphia and was wondering if any of you have any advice for helping someone who struggles with this. His cooperation goes down when presented with material he has to copy or write. Combined with his attention difficulties, my patience runs thin by the end of our school day. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Good morning, Kelly Jo, and welcome!

Yes, many of us face this challenge. A few tips:

- Vary the writing by giving him choices in his writing tools when possible: mechanical pencil, Ticonderoga pencils, fine-tip dry erase markers on a vertical or mini white board, and even sidewalk chalk.

- Reduce the writing by telling him, "I need to see only five good 2s written on this math page. If they are your first five, you will be finished. Take your time. Write neatly. I will place a star by each nicely-written 2. You may begin." This single technique saved us much angst and avoided having the child's writing deteriorate across the page. If he needs to practice more, vary as described above.

- Alternate subjects requiring writing with subjects that do not require writing.

- Consider a formal evaluation for OT if you suspect physical fine-motor challenges that are not being addressed.

Comment

Cheryl's advice about varying the writing tools has been tremendously helpful for us. Our writing issues are largely due to physical challenges, but using dry-erase markers or a special pen often helps shift their perspective from the challenge to the chance to do something a bit different!
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

We did all of these things with my eldest, whom I also thought had dysgraphia. As her fine motor skills grew, she largely grew out of her frustration and difficulty. Seven is still young for some children. My son got too caught up in the compunction to erase (or frustration that it did erase as a leftie), so we stick with pencil and a good, colorful grip. For my eldest, I got Montessori wooden number cards so she never had to write them her math problems (just answers). She developed in her own good time around 8, and she now has pretty excellent handwriting if she wants.
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

Thank you for these tips. I have noticed that switching utensils can be helpful (or even just a freshly sharpened utensil). We will add this strategy for sure! I have been hesitant to reduce the amount of writing required since the curriculum is already adapted. I think I might need to adjust my expectation as I realize how challenging writing is. He has particular difficulty copying a word when he needs to "jump" his eyes from one area to another (for example, the word problems in the Rod & Staff curriculum). We are doing eye exercises to try and help with this, but it is a very real challenge! Thank you for your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Jo View Post
            Thank you for these tips. I have noticed that switching utensils can be helpful (or even just a freshly sharpened utensil). We will add this strategy for sure! I have been hesitant to reduce the amount of writing required since the curriculum is already adapted. I think I might need to adjust my expectation as I realize how challenging writing is. He has particular difficulty copying a word when he needs to "jump" his eyes from one area to another (for example, the word problems in the Rod & Staff curriculum). We are doing eye exercises to try and help with this, but it is a very real challenge! Thank you for your insight.
            Just a heads-up that switching can help because of novelty OR it can be a sign of a sensory issue. My son didn't like the sound of pencil on paper so he used pens for school. Some kids also have a hard time detecting pressure feedback from various writing instruments so writing is easier for them with one type of instrument rather than another. Since you're investigating other issues (eyes, etc) I wanted to mention this.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
            MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
            MPOA: High School Comp. II
            HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
            MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
            MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
            HSC: Modern European History

DS12
            7M with:
            Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
            SC Level 4

DD9
            3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
            Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
            SC Level C

Comment

Another variable might be the difference between near-point and far-point copying.

Near-point copying, as with SC Copybook's exercises of writing directly below the words, is easier than far-point copying, as in transferring information from the book or board to the paper.

Far-point copying not only requires eye movement but attention and working memory, as the student is required to read, note, and hold information in his mind while looking down at the paper to locate his place to write and then taking the information from his memory to transcribe it to the page.

If it helps, you can change some far-point exercises to near-point for several months or longer if needed.

Comment

Yes, wonderful suggestion, Cheryl! Working memory & attention are also difficult for him, and he does do much better using the SC Copybook. Great idea.

Jen - good point to remember sensory issues. Sometimes he prefers to put his paper on top of a 3-ring binder with a slightly bumpy texture. I notice that he doesn't press as hard with his pencil then. We tried a mechanical pencil today & that was a nice change for him.

Comment

Hello! My name is Kelly Jo and I am new to this forum. I am currently homeschooling my 7 year old son using level 1 of the Simply Classical curriculum. He has not been formerly tested, but I am pretty sure he has dysgraphia and was wondering if any of you have any advice for helping someone who struggles with this. His cooperation goes down when presented with material he has to copy or write. Combined with his attention difficulties, my patience runs thin by the end of our school day. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
                  Kelly,

Are you contemplating formal testing? It sounds as if you've got a few different issues at play. I know there's a chapter in Simply Classical about testing --- how to find a provider, questions to ask, etc.

Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                  DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                  DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hi Diana!

He was formerly tested last fall and received a diagnosis of autism, ADHD & SPD. He had some cognitive testing done then, but was too young for more extensive testing (ie: to determine if he has a learning disability). Would you recommend further testing? We're kind of on the fence about it.

Comment

Yes, wonderful suggestion, Cheryl! Working memory & attention are also difficult for him, and he does do much better using the SC Copybook. Great idea.

Jen - good point to remember sensory issues. Sometimes he prefers to put his paper on top of a 3-ring binder with a slightly bumpy texture. I notice that he doesn't press as hard with his pencil then. We tried a mechanical pencil today & that was a nice change for him.
                      Speaking of sharpened pencils, I recently discovered that there are some sharpeners designed for colored pencils because they are filled with a waxy substance rather than graphite. This tends to break more easily so you don't want to lose too much of the wood support around it. Here is one such sharpener for that purpose. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using an electric vs this specific mechanical sharpener, here are the two results you get. These pencils are the Ticonderoga "Tri-Write" pencils (they have only 3 sides for easier hand grip). I feel like it makes the tips sharper, and the graphite doesn't break as often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8733.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	114132
                      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                      DS (MP2) - 7/8
                      DS (K) - 6
                      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...