Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Historical fiction difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical fiction difficulty

I'm having issues with my son (9) with historical fiction such as "Ben and Me" and Others that have elements such as the mouse in this story. My son purely seems to pick up the fiction elements in these stories (like the mouse) and misses anything history related that I would hope for him to learn from them. We have also had this issue with natural history books recommended in other curriculums such as Burgess animal and bird books.

My question is whether it is worthwhile to read these books (at least as curriculum) with him or whether it would be better to make more concrete choices (still age appropriate) where he would be able to not be so distracted by the fantasy aspect for his history readings.

Just fyi, we are attempting a modified full mp4 rather than simply classical adjusted for pacing and other needs as they arise (And he seems to really like the MP program), so not technically simply classical, but he does have some special needs which is why I post here. He has adhd and a history of trauma/ developmental delay.
    2020-2021
    DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
    DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
    DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Hi, Julia.

It sounds as if you know the answer: If the primary intent is to learn about different genres, you can study such books with a view to helping him understand "point of view," "personification," "historical fiction," etc. However, if the primary intent is to learn history and science, he might be better served with more literal versions.

Consider the book lists from SC American History and SC 3 Science & Enrichment. Feel free to select any of these as substitutes whenever needed.

This is not to say that the books you already own will be of no value to you. You might read a book like "Ben and Me" as a bedtime story or at a later time after introducing literary devices. To stretch his mind you might first help him tell or write a brief story with such a literary device, e.g. telling about a day in the life of your family from the viewpoint of a neighbor or your family pet.

Thanks for the question --

Comment

Oh, I don't know why it hadn't even occurred to me to check on the simply classical history reading list - thank you!
      2020-2021
      DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
      DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
      DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

Working...
      X