Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Math Tutoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Tutoring

I have a 5th grade (neuro-typical) child who really struggles with math. We switched her from Math U See to Rod and Staff in 3rd grade when we found MP. Math has been a very difficult subject for her, and I feel we have gone at a slow pace, and reworked problems and concepts to try to ensure mastery. Alas, she continues to struggle. I would love to just write off math and put her on something like Teaching Textbooks (since the subject is basically taught and checked without my assistance) but my conscience won't let me do it. I feel at this point I need to find a tutor. Has anyone ever used a math tutor? What do you look for? Where do you look? Has anyone had any experience with Mathnasium or Kumon? Any insight would be helpful.
    DD-11 yr MP 5
    DD-9yr MP 4
    DS-7yr K/1st-speech therapy
    DD-5yr SC-B Down Syndrome, daily therapies, and specializing in her life's work of being adored

We were looking at Mathnasium and Kumon for my 5th grader who hated math. Like stare at the page for 4 hours and cry hated it.

I stumbled across ST Math (spatial temporal math), which is a math program designed for dyslexic students (my kiddo has never been tested/diagnosed, but does show some signs of dyslexia). It is completely on the computer, which I was VERY reluctant to do, but it has been a total game-changer for him. He now loves math and will ask to do it more in the evenings, and he jumped 3.5 grade levels in math on the ITBS since starting it in October. We still use Xtramath daily for drilling facts (and occasionally Reflex Math games for math "fun").

You pay for a year's membership, and you can progress through as much as you like. We went back to the 3rd grade level to build confidence, and he's already back to grade level. We initially gave it a shot on the premise that a year's subscription of ST Math was cheaper than a single month at Mathnasium, and it turned out to be such a huge blessing. It's been worth every penny!
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I have never used either one, but my niece and nephew used kumon many years ago. I have also seen kids at swim practice and Suzuki group class with the little packet of worksheets. None of them ever seemed happy about it and some have been very vocal about their distaste for the program. My niece and nephew hated kumon. My brother eventually dropped it because he wasn’t very impressed with it and it was rather expensive.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback. Nerdmom, did you use ST Math in place of R&S, or in addition to R&S (or his regular curriculum)?
        DD-11 yr MP 5
        DD-9yr MP 4
        DD-5yr SC-B Down Syndrome, daily therapies, and specializing in her life's work of being adored

Comment

Originally posted by Muddlingthrough View Post
          Thank you so much for your feedback. Nerdmom, did you use ST Math in place of R&S, or in addition to R&S (or his regular curriculum)?
          For now, in place of R&S. I have kept the R&S books for future use, though.
          Amanda
          Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by Muddlingthrough View Post
            I have a 5th grade (neuro-typical) child who really struggles with math. We switched her from Math U See to Rod and Staff in 3rd grade when we found MP. Math has been a very difficult subject for her, and I feel we have gone at a slow pace, and reworked problems and concepts to try to ensure mastery. Alas, she continues to struggle. I would love to just write off math and put her on something like Teaching Textbooks (since the subject is basically taught and checked without my assistance) but my conscience won't let me do it. I feel at this point I need to find a tutor. Has anyone ever used a math tutor? What do you look for? Where do you look? Has anyone had any experience with Mathnasium or Kumon? Any insight would be helpful.
            If you want to stay with R&S rather than hiring a tutor or switching math programs yet again, consider making the lessons more visual and making the review less paper-pencil. If you are not yet using the visual aids in the R&S Teacher Guide, make or purchase these and include them in your daily lessons. If you are not yet teaching from Simply Classical R&S Arithmetic plans, consider doing so. Currently we only offer SC plans through R&S 3, but more will be coming.

You might also consider SC Arithmetic Read-Alouds (unless they are beneath her), nightly math games with Dominos, dice, cards, or board games to boost number sense, and learning a musical instrument. All can boost math abilities without the feel of "doing math."

Comment

This is great information. Thank you, Cheryl. Im excited to see all of the SC lesson plans at Sodalitas!
              DD-11 yr MP 5
              DD-9yr MP 4

Comment

Working...
              X