Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC Pre-Conference Track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Pre-Conference Track

Hi Cheryl,

I was hoping you could give us a little insight into the SC Pre-conference sessions on Wednesday, July 10th. Basically, what I'm trying to understand is this: Will a SN mom who has read your book, attended SG in the past, along with some of the SC breakouts, plans to attend this year's SG, along with many of the SC breakouts glean new and different insight?

We have been part of a MP start-up cottage school/co-op this year. A group of us moms will be attending the Wednesday Pre-Conference and the following two days of teacher training. (I will also be at SG, so this will be my first year being there the whole week.) I was put in to attend the full day of SC pre-conference. I ended up giving some feedback that our cottage school needs someone other than me (one of the few SN moms) to understand and embrace special needs in a co-op/classroom setting. Everyone has been gracious and it appears there might be some representation from our cottage school in either the morning or afternoon session (especially the afternoon session geared toward struggling learners in the classroom and school.) I'm torn about what to do, what session to attend. Will the morning session give me additional tips/strategies I don't already have to help my son? Or should I attend FFL because that's what he's moving into. I have volunteered to teach FFL at the cottage school, but my son needs it at half pace (so we can get some of our other school work done!) Some of the kids could benefit from it at half pace and others need it completed in the year, because they can handle it.

Anyway, any insight/help would be greatly appreciated!

SusanP in VA

Oops! I'm noticing this thread is titled "Preference" instead of "Pre-Conference" .....sorry! Can't figure out how to change it.

Comment

Hi, Susan.

You should attend FFL in the morning. You will be teaching FFL at the cottage school, so this will be the best morning session for you. After you learn how to teach FFL exactly as intended, you can easily adapt for your son.

You and your cottage school moms should attend the afternoon SC session together. We will spend the entire afternoon on the benefits & blessings, obstacles & pitfalls, logistics & successes with special needs in the co-op/classroom setting.

Comment

I have the same conundrum except I’ll be teaching FFL at home and we won’t be in co-op next year. Susan has been at this far longer than I have and I won’t be able to be in the SC sessions during Sodalitas. What would you recommend, Cheryl?
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
        MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
        MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
        As above, plus:
        MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
        MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Susan & Jen,

If you could attend the one-hour Latin SC session during Sodalitas and then half-day FFL MP pre-conference training, this would be ideal. Consider this if possible.

Jen, if you never have taught FFL, I would attend FFL MP pre-conference training. On breaks, you & Susan can brainstorm how to adapt for special needs.

Comment

for newcomers …

SC = Simply Classical
            MP = Memoria Press
            FFL = First Form Latin
            LC = Latina Christiana
            SN = special needs
            SG = Sodalitas Gathering, our annual homeschool conference located in Louisville at Highlands Latin School. We offer a unique Simply Classical track where those of us whose children have special needs gather for sessions on teaching reading, Latin, math, spelling, writing, history, classical studies, and more specifically to children with special needs. Part support group, part information/inspiration, Sodalitas is our in-person forum!

Comment

Hi Ladies,

So new development on my end. Even though we had a meeting with the handful of us moms involved for next year, and I stated I'd teach FFL but at a slower pace (and they all liked that idea), I'm now being told they all want it at the full year pace. That would have been one of the only 'peer' opportunities for Owen at the co-op. Any other opportunities for him there puts him in classes with 2 young girls, around 9ish (he just turned 14). One of those girls has autism and the other is an average, fairly smart girl. So at this point, I guess I'm teaching him FFL on my own, at home, at an adapted pace.

I "think" I'll still follow this plan, however: FFL in the morning (missing the 2nd half in the afternoon) and SC in the afternoon.

Susan P in VA

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
                Oops! I'm noticing this thread is titled "Preference" instead of "Pre-Conference" .....sorry! Can't figure out how to change it.
                No problem! It's now fixed.
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
                  Hi Ladies,

So new development on my end. Even though we had a meeting with the handful of us moms involved for next year, and I stated I'd teach FFL but at a slower pace (and they all liked that idea), I'm now being told they all want it at the full year pace. That would have been one of the only 'peer' opportunities for Owen at the co-op. Any other opportunities for him there puts him in classes with 2 young girls, around 9ish (he just turned 14). One of those girls has autism and the other is an average, fairly smart girl. So at this point, I guess I'm teaching him FFL on my own, at home, at an adapted pace.

I "think" I'll still follow this plan, however: FFL in the morning (missing the 2nd half in the afternoon) and SC in the afternoon.

Susan P in VA

Ah, I failed to look at the full schedule and was thinking FFL was morning-only.

Use your discretion here. If your co-op does not intend to integrate or accommodate special needs, you may be better served to attend the full-day FFL. Your call there.

And thank you, Michael!

Comment

Yes, thanks Michael, for fixing that for me.

Cheryl, I think it will still be valuable for at least a few of us to be in that afternoon session as, yes, my son and this other girl will be involved next year. Sadly, it isn't working out for the Latin to be adapted for my son, but he'll be in a Greek Myths, Astronomy (differentiated instruction for wide range of students abilities) and Insects class. And I will be teaching the Christian Studies 1 class for him and another student or two. So in the end it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                    X