Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Simply Classical 1 Reading compared to Kindgeraten plans and All about reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Classical 1 Reading compared to Kindgeraten plans and All about reading

I taught my daughter to read using just first start reading and primary phonics readers and she is a great reader! My almost 6 year old has been in speech therapy since he was two and I believe is dyslexic. I went ahead and started All About Reading 1 with him, because I thought that is what you should use with a dyslexic kid, but I really want to use First Start Reading. Has anyone had success with a a dyslexic child using the Simply Classical 1 phonics and reading lesson plans?
    Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

I do not have a dyslexic, that I know of, but my oldest struggled with reading beyond the cvc level, so we did use AAR with her. We tried 100 easy lessons, BOb books and other random internet programs. We did also try Little Angel Readers, but I did not understand you did not have to complete a lesson in a sitting and it was taking nearly an hour!

All this being said, by the time we found MP (we were doing MPK, not SC1) and FSR, my child could “read” cvc, so we did not follow the plans well, rushing through. We got to book D and things just really fell apart! I did it understand the mastery approach and just rolled along, it was painful! It was so painful, we ended up at All About Reading, before I looked into dyslexia. AAL has a fantastic return policy (return in any condition within a year), so I thought it was worth the try. That being said, AAR actually moves really fast the first 18 lessons, but there is not enough material to stretch those lessons out for mastery. I find First Start Reading, through at least book C, then AAR to be a great solution, if you get to book D and there is a struggle. It takes approximatetly 50 AAR lessons to cover what FSR D covers. An AAR lesson could take 2-3 days or even longer!

https://www.memoriapress.com/article...start-reading/. It was this article that finally made me understand FSR and what I initially did wrong. See #6, in particular.

I loved doing AAR with my daughter, but it is slow, so I did not plan to do it with my son. However, he got to book D and I notice a similar difficulty, so we moved over to AAR, only because I still owned it! I do not plan to use it with my youngest.

The other thing that was nice about First Start Reading, in SC1, compared to AAR is the kinestetic activities. I felt SC1 does a better job equipping you, the teacher with activities to extend a lesson, if needed. We actually “got stuck” in AAR and I had to pull the tools out of the toolbox from SC1 + SC2. I think I might have dropped AAR, had I not had that knowledge.

Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexandraMarie View Post
      I taught my daughter to read using just first start reading and primary phonics readers and she is a great reader! My almost 6 year old has been in speech therapy since he was two and I believe is dyslexic. I went ahead and started All About Reading 1 with him, because I thought that is what you should use with a dyslexic kid, but I really want to use First Start Reading. Has anyone had success with a a dyslexic child using the Simply Classical 1 phonics and reading lesson plans?

Regarding the details of SC 1 compared to MP K, you will find much information through this link.

From families whose children have dyslexia:

My daughter (dyslexia, depression, low intelligence) has actually learned to read with the Simply Classical Curriculum and is now progressing one year at a time. She now tests on grade level in reading. This is due to your curriculum. -- Jennifer

-
      FSR in SC 1 does the job without all the extra instruction that, in our experience, tended to “clutter” the brain of my dyslexic daughter. (I tried both LOE and AAR with her). -- Emily

-

FSR with SC 1 plans have been really working well for my dyslexia 8yo. It's the pace that she needs and there's no filler she hates (puppets, etc.). It is so, so good to see things slowly starting to click with First Start Reading in the Simply Classical Curriculum. Honestly, I can’t thank you enough. – Tamara

Benefits of a classical education for students with learning difficulties or special needs
      Last edited by cherylswope; 06-04-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X