Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Wondering about Grammar and Latin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wondering about Grammar and Latin

    How far will a student that only goes through Simply Classical make it through each series? If a student will be transitioning to SFL after SC 12 (if I'm reading the pdf correctly), I'm assuming SC will only take a child through FFL, right? Does that also mean that they will only make it through EGR2?
    Cheryl, mom to:

    ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

    #2
    The later levels are still under construction, but this is the tentative plan:

    Latin
    SC Students will finish SC 12 having completed all of Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, and First Form Latin.

    Grammar
    SC Students will finish SC 12 having completed all of the grammar within Latin and SC Writing as well as these minimally: English Grammar Practice, Core Skills: Language Arts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and EGR I, II, III, IV & V.

    Last edited by cherylswope; 05-31-2019, 12:25 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      The later levels are still under construction, but this is the tentative plan:

      Latin
      SC Students will finish SC 12 having completed all of Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, and First Form Latin.

      Grammar
      SC Students will finish SC 12 having completed all of the grammar within Latin and SC Writing as well as English Grammar Practice, Core Skills: Language Arts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and EGR I, II, III.

      Thanks, I know it's just the tentative plan :-) So, since they will only go through EGR 3, will they get exposure to the material covered in EGR 4 & 5 in some other way?
      Cheryl, mom to:

      ds 24, graduated
      ds 23, graduated
      dd 15, 9th Grade
      dd 12, 6th Grade
      ds 10, 4nd Grade

      Comment


        #4
        Students who complete through 12, who would continue with studies would "integrate" into MP 7, subbing SFL for Third Form. I don't remember where it puts Classical Comp.
        Christine

        (2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          Students who complete through 12, who would continue with studies would "integrate" into MP 7, subbing SFL for Third Form. I don't remember where it puts Classical Comp.
          Right, I'm thinking about a student who use SC 12 in 12th grade...one who never integrates.
          Cheryl, mom to:

          ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

          Comment


            #6
            Then, that would just be where they end.
            Christine

            (2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

            Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by howiecram View Post
              Then, that would just be where they end.
              Yeah, I'm just wondering if there is any kind of touching on any of the things they didn't get to in EGR 4 or 5. That would be a fair amount to never touch on at all.
              Cheryl, mom to:

              ds 24, graduated
              ds 23, graduated
              dd 15, 9th Grade
              dd 12, 6th Grade
              ds 10, 4nd Grade

              Comment


                #8
                Ah, the hazards of responding with tentative plans.

                Please see the edited answer above.

                I just doublechecked. My current overview chart actually shows something other than my first response (now edited).



                We are currently planning to cover EGR I in SC 5&6, EGR II in SC 7&8 and EGR III in SC 9&10.

                We will see how our SC students manage this. So long as our SC students are able, we will plan to complete both EGR IV and V in SC 11 &12.

                I'm working on the overview of the remaining levels this week, so this question provided good clarity. Thanks --

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  Ah, the hazards of responding with tentative plans.

                  Please see the edited answer above.

                  I just doublechecked. My current overview chart actually shows something other than my first response (now edited).



                  We are currently planning to cover EGR I in SC 5&6, EGR II in SC 7&8 and EGR III in SC 9&10.

                  We will see how our SC students manage this. So long as our SC students are able, we will plan to complete both EGR IV and V in SC 11 &12.

                  I'm working on the overview of the remaining levels this week, so this question provided good clarity. Thanks --
                  Thanks :-)
                  Cheryl, mom to:

                  ds 24, graduated
                  ds 23, graduated
                  dd 15, 9th Grade
                  dd 12, 6th Grade
                  ds 10, 4nd Grade

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Btw, this may be a good time to remind ourselves that the SC "train" not only moves at a slower pace, but also arrives at a destination not quite so far up the mountain.

                    It is possible that SC 11&12 students will accomplish only EGR IV and in other ways stop short of your student's desired destination. I want to clarify this up front.
                    If our SC Two-Year students can manage EGR IV in one year and EGR V in the next year, we may attempt this. However, we would not typically recommend tackling EGR IV in one semester and EGR V in another, which would be the result in our SC One-Year Accelerated pacing.



                    Our original -- and continued -- intent is for the Simply Classical Curriculum to give students with significant special needs the ability to study and master content they would not normally be allowed to study and master through other programs designed for students with special needs. With my own children, for example, completing Latina Christiana was one of the greatest accomplishments of their academic lives. Today my daughter and I are working through First Form Latin. She loves the lessons, but we must study and review in small increments. When we complete FFL, this will become one of the greatest academic accomplishments of her young adult life.


                    If a student is capable of conquering Second Form Latin prior to high school graduation, the traditional MP "Latin train" will be the preferable mode of classical transportation, even if you must modify somewhat. This will be true for other subjects, especially mathematics.

                    Your planning ahead is to be commended! We suggest that everyone do this. Whenever it appears that a student can handle the traditional, tried-and-true, tested MP coursework, even with modifications, we suggest hopping aboard the MP train to take that student as far as he is capable of traveling.

                    Our new pdf helps by providing suggestions for good transition points to MP.

                    This is just a reminder overall.

                    In musical terms, Simply Classical is adagio.
                    .
                    Last edited by cherylswope; 05-31-2019, 03:08 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                      Btw, this may be a good time to remind ourselves that the SC "train" not only moves at a slower pace, but also arrives at a destination not quite so far up the mountain.

                      It is possible that SC 11&12 students will accomplish only EGR IV and in other ways stop short of your student's desired destination. I want to clarify this up front.
                      If our SC Two-Year students can manage EGR IV in one year and EGR V in the next year, we may attempt this. However, we would not typically recommend tackling EGR IV in one semester and EGR V in another, which would be the result in our SC One-Year Accelerated pacing.



                      Our original -- and continued -- intent is for the Simply Classical Curriculum to give students with significant special needs the ability to study and master content they would not normally be allowed to study and master through other programs designed for students with special needs. With my own children, for example, completing Latina Christiana was one of the greatest accomplishments of their academic lives. Today my daughter and I are working through First Form Latin. She loves the lessons, but we must study and review in small increments. When we complete FFL, this will become one of the greatest academic accomplishments of her young adult life.


                      If a student is capable of conquering Second Form Latin prior to high school graduation, the traditional MP "Latin train" will be the preferable mode of classical transportation, even if you must modify somewhat. This will be true for other subjects, especially mathematics.

                      Your planning ahead is to be commended! We suggest that everyone do this. Whenever it appears that a student can handle the traditional, tried-and-true, tested MP coursework, even with modifications, we suggest hopping aboard the MP train to take that student as far as he is capable of traveling.

                      Our new pdf helps by providing suggestions for good transition points to MP.

                      This is just a reminder overall.

                      In musical terms, Simply Classical is adagio.
                      .
                      Thank you Cheryl :-) I love the train analogy. I suspect that most students will likely end up on different trains due to widely varying abilities, especially as they enter Jr./Sr. High.

                      I have a couple of concerns/questions regarding EGR. First, the fact that it was created to go along with Latin. Even if the SC student is able to make it through all levels of EGR, they will not make it through all the levels of Latin that are necessary to make EGR complete since the lag in Latin is more considerable. While finishing First Form Latin is commendable, only making it that far in Latin will leave EGR wanting. Second, there is the distinct possibility that students won't make it through the entire EGR series, which would leave some things completely uncovered if they aren't covered elsewhere. Also, if a student is that far behind in EGR, he/she will likely be even further behind in Latin. This makes me wonder, should there be a different grammar train available even within SC? Perhaps the option of Rod and Staff that is complete on it's own without the addition of Latin and has a wider scope in each level than EGR so the student looses out on less if they only make it through part of the series.
                      Cheryl, mom to:

                      ds 24, graduated
                      ds 23, graduated
                      dd 15, 9th Grade
                      dd 12, 6th Grade
                      ds 10, 4nd Grade

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Interesting idea! We're also looking at the streamlined R&S "remedial" booklets. All remains in the planning stages, so the input is helpful. Thank you!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          Interesting idea! We're also looking at the streamlined R&S "remedial" booklets. All remains in the planning stages, so the input is helpful. Thank you!
                          You're welcome, and thanks so much for listening :-) I'm working on our paperwork for next year and looking at the future, and I realized that I may not want to use EGR with him for the above reasons. So, it gave me something to think about this afternoon as I pondered what would be the best for him.
                          Cheryl, mom to:

                          ds 24, graduated
                          ds 23, graduated
                          dd 15, 9th Grade
                          dd 12, 6th Grade
                          ds 10, 4nd Grade

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I, essentially, had the very same question. I did actually look at those grammar worksheets we talked about in another thread (also mentioned by you here) and it was definitely too much for a summer! I could not believe it says "remedial for grades 3-5". I could see it being remedial for 5th, but it seems a stretch for 3rd!

                            Christine

                            (2019/2020)
                            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                            Previous Years
                            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X