Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

It is “enough”. Yes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is “enough”. Yes?

I have been digging through the books I ordered and feeling slightly panicked about getting it all done, and have time for “down time” baking, socializing, physical activity, etc. I wrote out a schedule and there was zero white space! I know that is not feasible or sustainable. One of the biggest reasons we homeschool is to be able to actually spend my husband’s day off, with him, which is variable every week. We do routinely do school on a Saturday, but there are occasions where it is not possible. I prefer to stick to a guide, but it is literally not possible. We never school the same days a week consistently. There are weeks we school 6 days, and others only 4. (Even just “do the next thing”).

Anyway, upon further review of everything for 3 kids, who really need to be “taught” and not left for independent work, I am feeling overwhelmed!
    (I was considering MP1, MP 2 & MP3A) I am now leaning towards:

10 year old will do SC 5/6 one year plan with Math 4. She will not do the enrichment. we will do SC3 as a family) 6.5 year old will finish FSR D and E. I will probably delay Storytime + More Storytime Treasures until the following school year. I have plenty of material to teach another semester of phonics, + I plan to do SC writing book 1 and SC spelling. She will do MP1 math. She will do cursive 1

It is the 8 year old I am waffling on. He is doing fabulous with “regular” More Storytime Treasures. The writing is good, the phonics he is keeping up with well. He could do the second semester of SC3 phonics, orrr, I could not do anything but the SC3 Enrichment with everyone. He would do Core Skills 3 phonics, SC3 spelling, and read the history readers in SC3/5&6 with big sis and me (I have 3 sets of all the books). Additionally he would do the writing book (one week behind the read alouds). He would do SC4 math. This would also allow me to combine spelling with the youngest 2 the following year. I plan to have hm also participate in Greek Myths + Christian Studies. He will continue with cursive.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by howiecram; 05-14-2019, 07:13 PM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Yes, if you choose the latter combination, it will be enough! "Doable" is always better than "frenetic."

The advantage with your SC 2, 3, 4, 5&6 plan is that you have taught much of this before. In itself this will streamline your day, because you know the materials.

It seems that for your oldest you would omit from SC 5&6 only the Music Appreciation and Science. With SC 3 Enrichment your oldest will review those music and science selections. This review could be good for her. She will have her own new content through Greek Myths and Christian Studies this year, as will your son.

I agree that your family needs time to enjoy each other. You need to see that white space in the planner, especially with your husband's varying day off. Good foresight!

Comment

Can you combine your kids on LC and Christian Studies? Have they done PL? What about saving one subject for mid-year start and plan to carry it through the summer? I've got a similar load coming (MP3,2, K)

Our biggest time grabber is literature. I try to get Phonics, Spelling, Math, Copybook, Penmanship, Latin drill boxes all done before our first break (takes about 2 hours...ish) I had to move recitation to every other day because apparently I can't keep track of time when I get onto a new question...like temperatures, directions, and compasses. I get distracted/excited/chatty...it's a time killer and it's all my doing.
      Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
      DS (MP1) - 7
      DS (K) - 5
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

My oldest is currently doing PL and will do the two year LC plan. I do plan to have the oldest two do Christian Studies and Greek Myths together. I have teetered with having the middle child (age 8 at the beginning of the school year) do the two year LC, but I think I will be waiting on him. He will be apart of the Latin prayers + hymns, but that will be all.

We will see where the youngest is at in Jan. I may start her on Storytime Treasures, but I may just wait too. I am really good with seeing how that goes! I am also really good with waiting!

So, oldest will do Math 4, Lit 3, Intro to Comp, LC (two year plan), cursive, TS ll
        Middle will do SC3 spelling, Core Skills 3, Math from SC4 (basically R&s 2, units 4&5), cursive, SC Writing book 2
        Youngest, finish MPK, SC Writing Book 1, Math 1, Cursive 1

Combined SC3 Enrichment. This includes a shared read aloud between my oldest, middle and myself (We each have our own book). youngest listens. This is essentially the middle child’s “literature” for the year. SC3 art + music + states & caps.

Combine oldest two for Greek Myths + Christian Studies

Religion -our own family Catechesis. Youngest has 1st year of 2 year Communion prep.

Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

What you described for your middle is exactly where my middle is now.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 8th Homeschooling
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD · 4M -- DD · SC 3/4 -- DS · JrK -- DD · Pre -- EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
          [url]www.CreativeMadnessMama.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X