Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Moving from R&S Math 3 to 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from R&S Math 3 to 4

My 11 year old is almost finished with R&S 3. With our lives (and schooling) being so chaotic lately, he hasn't quite mastered some of the multiplication & division facts -- mainly the higher 6, 7, 8, 9 facts. I'd let both kids do independent flash card practice and that turned out not to be the best. I'm now back to going through all the flash cards with them each day. I'm wondering whether I should wait and drill, drill, drill until all the facts are mastered or if the review at the beginning of R&S 4 plus consistent flash card drill will be enough.

I listed out all the fact families in the order they are taught and am having him practice the highest individual family he is struggling with every day and then all the fact families before that mixed together every day. Then I'm assigning corresponding fact forms for independent work. Right now he's working on mastering the x6 and /6 families. If we keep on going this way it could be 2 weeks or more before he is ready to move on. I'm chomping at the bit somewhat. According to the table of contents, the 6 families aren't taught until chapter 4, so that could potentially give him enough time to master them before then. Working memory is a struggle for him, so I don't want him to use up valuable brain space trying to think of the facts while doing the more complicated problems.

Any advice?
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
    I listed out all the fact families in the order they are taught and am having him practice the highest individual family he is struggling with every day and then all the fact families before that mixed together every day. Then I'm assigning corresponding fact forms for independent work. Right now he's working on mastering the x6 and /6 families. If we keep on going this way it could be 2 weeks or more before he is ready to move on. According to the table of contents, the 6 families aren't taught until chapter 4, so that could potentially give him enough time to master them before then. Working memory is a struggle for him, so I don't want him to use up valuable brain space trying to think of the facts while doing the more complicated problems.

Any advice?
    Your plan sounds good! As long as you continue working on those facts for automaticity as he moves forward, it seems he can move on.

I like your plan to review with flash cards all previously mastered facts while targeting new ones in a systematic way. Adding those Fact Forms gives him both visual written practice to "imprint" them on his memory. If you needed to pause and take a week to review mid-stream, perhaps around Chapter 4, you still have the flexibility to do so.

Very good!

Comment

Thanks, Cheryl!
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
      X