Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC C vs PreK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC C vs PreK

Looking at the Simply Classical level C vs the Pre-k, would level C be an acceptable alternative to the 2 day pre-k option?
    Traditional Catholic mom of 4
    DD 16 - Kolbe 10th grade, volleyball player, applying to Catholic universities
    DD 14 - MP 8A, ASL, speech club, skater, crochet lover
    DD 6 - MP 1ST, volleyball and church lover
    DS 5 - mommy's crazy maker

My understanding is that SC C is the last 2/3 of Jr. K, perhaps with a few K concepts introduced (like FSR A). I think it'd make a great preK for a 5yo boy. We're starting it with our 5yo late this summer.

Comment

Good morning!

The "Wahm" in your name is "work at home mom," correct? With 3 in MP Cores and working from home, 2 days of MP JrK may be plenty for your youngest. If he has no special learning needs, MP JrK will be perfect. Two days each week he will receive the preparation he needs with fabulous read-alouds to delight and nurture imagination so he can run about the remaining days in play, benefiting from his siblings and friends, and being outside.

Usually we advise that if a child has no specific learning needs, such as speech and language delays or disorders; no high risk factors for specific learning disabilities, such as a complicated birth, serious illness, hearing problems, or family history of learning disabilities; and no behavioral needs, such as neurobiological disorders including autism, proceed with the MP Classical Core. The "curricular cohesion" is stellar in the MP Classical Core, so we recommend teaching as written whenever possible.

If he has special learning needs, however, then SC C will be helpful because we structure more days per week, pre-teach FSR A by the end of the school year, and provide extensive explicit instruction in phonological awareness (pre-reading), fine-motor skills (pre-writing), and number sense (pre-arithmetic). In SC C we prepare for learning to read in SC 1 with more 3-D teaching techniques for students predisposed to intellectual, neurological, or specific learning disorders.

In some cases people may choose SC C over JrK, but the time commitment is greater. Your call there --

Does that help?
      Last edited by cherylswope; 04-19-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I absolutely adore SC-C. That being said, I ended up with Jr. K for my third child, for all the reasons Cheryl suggests above. My son, who did SC-C needed the consistency of the 4 days + he was a 5 year old Sep Birthday. My daughter was not 5 until Feb and that was a big difference. Even though SC- c is slightly more advanced than Jr. K (intentional since the curriculum may be used by older children) and my daughter is the most neurotypical (and probably more advanced) of my 3, Jr k was a much better fit. Also, with two others homeschooling, two days worked better for the schedule. She had no trouble “jumping” into 4 days this year with MPK (which is scheduled 5 days, but we are making it work in 4 days).
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
        X