Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Core Skills 3, p.80

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core Skills 3, p.80

How have you guys approached this “scrambled words” page? I’m not sure how to present it to C in a way that won’t overwhelm him. His spelling is not at this level so I don’t know that he’ll be able to “see” the hidden words.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

We omitted scrambled words or taught these on the board.

If you opt for board work, you can write the scrambled letters spaced more widely, underline the letter that will start the new word OR bring it down to start a hangman-type set of lines on which the newly ordered letters will go.

After the word is unscrambled by working together, the student may then write the correct word in his book.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      We omitted scrambled words or taught these on the board.

If you opt for board work, you can write the scrambled letters spaced more widely, underline the letter that will start the new word OR bring it down to start a hangman-type set of lines on which the newly ordered letters will go.

After the word is unscrambled by working together, the student may then write the correct word in his book.
      I'd like him to try if he's having an otherwise cooperative day...I like the hangman idea. Thanks!
      Jennifer

2018-2019
      DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
      DS-12 (6M)
      DS-10 (SC3)
      DD-8 (MP2)
      DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

The main idea for the scrambled letters activity is to enhance seeing words as built up of phonetic "chunks" . This is why the blends and teams are never separated though they are out of order. This activity should be worked together and as Cheryl said use that white board to give the scrambled version more space to help! You might consider working every other one as your student watches. Use a lot of modeling in which you are voicing your thought process as you work out the descrambling.

Comment

Ugh. I never even noticed that the blends and such were still together. Guess we all know where my kids get their challenges...
          Jennifer

2018-2019
          DS-12 (6M)
          DS-10 (SC3)
          DD-8 (MP2)
          DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

Jen,

Oh my! I didn't even look at the subject line of this post! I assumed you were referring to the exercises used in association with TS lessons. Which DO keep the blends together. For the page you are discussing in Core Skills - my advice changes a bit. Those are hard and both Michael and I were stumped on some and had to look in the answers. So- definitely work on these together. As I said before the exercise is worthwhile because it is training students to look at all aspects of a word. However I would list these on a board putting the blends and teams together and follow my previous advice of modelling every other one while voicing your thought process. Again, the exercise is a worthwhile one but one that needs to be at the elbow!

Comment

Working...
            X