Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

placing for an asynchronous learner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

placing for an asynchronous learner?

I am considering using some/most of Simply Classical with my son next year. He will be 9 in September, has a neurodevelopmental disorder and is easily overwhelmed and refuses to work when things look “too hard.” Using the readiness assessments he would place solidly into 3, except he is way behind in the physical act of writing. He is just this year getting a functional pencil grasp and does not know cursive. If you allow him to type he will write good sentence with decent grammar and punctuation. He knows all of his phonograms, can read the level 6 primers from Primary Phonics with good fluency, and his spelling makes phonetic sense. He needs to build confidence reading real books and has some difficulty answering questions about read alouds, especially if he has little background knowledge about the subject. Would it make sense to start with the first Storytime Treasures and Simply Classical Writing and potentially go through them quickly, or should we just jump in to More Storytime Treasures and Simply Classical Writing 2 like the readiness assessment indicates he is ready for? Also what is used for writing in level 4? Will there be a SC Writing 3?

I know Cheryl will have the best advice. However, I was thinking that maybe between now and say Septish you could complete SC2 Writing Book 1, with the Bible + NAC1. This would get him reading and writing without a lot of added stress. The program in the year long term has you read the same story 4x per week. I recommend following the plans for about 6 weeks and then making adjustments after you see how he is handling it all. You could probably read 2 stories a week (team reading in the beginning and maybe towards the end having him do a lot more of it).
    Last edited by howiecram; 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Welcome!

I like howiecram's suggestion. This plan could work well for you:

SC Writing One, Bible edition --
      This will help him write a good, meaningful sentence. Get "A Child's Garden of Bible Stories", as this matches perfectly and will soon become his reader.

New American Cursive 1 --
      For cursive, teach from this with Simply Classical 2 Individual Lesson Plans, Cursive.

Simply Classical Storytime Treasures --
      This will reinforce composition and comprehension with the same writing rubric that he will encounter in SC Writing One.

If you wanted to do more, consider the SC 2 Phonics & Reading lessons and resources for oral reading practice. You might use SC Spelling One or Two to teach common words for his own writing and phonetic words with word study.

I would do these before the SC 3 selections. As howiecram says, you can accelerate if you need to. Better to start slowly and build good habits along with good confidence. Success sometimes breeds willingness (or at least improves compliance).

To answer your other question --
      SC 4 revisits writing basics. We use New American Cursive 2, Core Skills: Language Arts, writing exercises through science and literature, and My Thankfulness Journal. We did not create an SC Writing Three because we felt it would be too much writing overall at this level.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
      X