Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Transitioning to MP with behavioral special needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transitioning to MP with behavioral special needs

My oldest son will be going into 8th grade in the fall. He is currently at a therapeutic boarding school for ODD and RAD (not sure how many peopleknow anything about those but they are more behavioral in effect than learning disability, but they definitely affect schooling). He will be returning home this summer and I would like to try MP with him. He is mostly on grade level (though probably not socially/emotionally) so technically this may not be a "simply classical" question. But any tips on easing him into this method - especially Latin - would be helpful. I feel like the rigor and such would actually be very good for him, but he pushes back Hard from anything remotely regimented (even though I think that's probably exactly what he needs)

When he returns home in the summer, you might begin with Myself & Others Book Three Set. This will ease you (and him) into a routine while working on the very things he will need, given his current diagnoses of ODD and RAD. Bonus -- All of these "subjects" will be included: Health, Literature, and Writing.

If you gradually add Latin consider First Form Latin but consider allowing two years for this by building in extra review and teaching with short, successful daily lessons.

For math, make sure arithmetic is solid. You can take the R&S Placement tests for 5 & 6 to check, https://www.milestonebooks.com/bin/P..._Test_Math.pdf. If all is well there, proceed to pre-algebra, https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/math/. If not, place him in 5 or 6 according to his ability.
    You are right: While ODD and RAD are not academic diagnoses, they unquestionably impact academic performance and learning! As I'm sure you know, you will want his less structured times of day to remain restful, not preoccupied with screen-based entertainment, and reasonably constructive. "High structure, low stress" is often recommended for such scenarios. Audio books and beautiful music can be helpful for this, especially if you give him an approved book or music list from which he can listen.

If he has any wholesome interests, allow him time for these each day. Music, nature, photography, art, or anything that has been working well for him at the boarding school can supplement his days.

Cheering you on as you embark on this likely daunting but very important welcome home --
    Myself & Others Book Three includes structured exercises and is used in conjunction with the Aesop Copybook. This is a wonderful course for all students age or ability 7-10.

Comment

Thank you, that helps. I had been looking at the myself and others sets wondering if they would be a good idea - I think they would also be beneficial for my younger son (8yo w/ADHD and some minor developmental delays), so I will definitely add that to my wish list. I will try spreading out the Latin as well, I do that with many things with my younger son - I think i am just getting nervous because my older son is so close to high school and I need to relax.
      also, it is super helpful to be able to just mention those diagnoses and have someone actually know what I'm talking about, so thanks for that

Comment

I just wanted to say “Hi”. I think there are several of us with children with ODD, RAD, Anxiety, etc. (behavioral vs learning). You will be in good company here!
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
        X