Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

LC vs PL - Debating LC pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LC vs PL - Debating LC pace

Hi! I know in reality my daughter will just "her" pace, but I am trying to decide, since we are doing it with a few other families on the pace for next year. She personally does fine with the vocabulary. She has not trouble memorizing these, as scheduled in PL. We are now towards the end of PL and what is harder for her is the grammar. The pronouns, in particular are tricky. She just doesn't understand what she is memorizing, so it is harder to memorize. So, going forward, I anticipate the grammar to be the hard part. I do not have the LC books yet, so it's hard to tell from the sample. Does LC delve more into grammar? I am sure the two year pace will serve her better, but I am still hopeful maybe she could do the 1 year pace? Thoughts, suggestions, more info on how LC is laid out?

P.S> The other families said they do not have an opinion on the pace! One said "My opinion is start at the pace we think will be best and adjust if need be either way. I’m not set on a pace. My goal is for her to learn and not hate it. "

Last edited by howiecram; 04-03-2019, 11:51 AM.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

They’ll be learning the names of the “jobs” nouns have and the names themselves can be overwhelming and very abstract: nominative, genitive, accusative, etc. Plus when to use which ending based on the noun’s job and number (singular or plural).

They’ll also be learning the basic tenses of verbs and how to choose the right verb ending based on who is doing the actions and when they are doing it.

So working memory and step-by-step thinking are being stretched and worked on.

For a child who benefits from over-teaching and time to let things solidify, I would do the two year pace. Message me on FB if you’d like to see more pics from the books and TM.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

I have been leaning more towards the2 year pace, actually. However, I like to do a “check” because I also want to make sure my trepidation’s are not holding a child back.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I know the feeling! Although for me it’s because I’m always wanting to move things too quickly — *facepalm*
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
        DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
        DS11: SC 4
        DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
        DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
        DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

My opinion -- definitely two-year.

The two-year plan IS our accelerated SC pace.

Not only is the grammar challenging, but instead of 5 words per week as in Prima, you will have 10 words per week in LC.

Spare yourself, your students, and especially your daughter undue frustration. Stay clear of that high dive, Christine.

Comment

Ok, final thoughts on Ludere supplement? I am still a little unclear about the difficulty in them. I know the other mom will want it alll, but her daughter is very similar to my daughter in many ways! She is a whole year older though. The third child has a hard time writing, so I know this supplement will not serve her well. This is something that would be done outside of our time together, so I'm trying to help us all make a decision on this particular item? Thank you!
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

The other mom can do this as a "bonus" supplement on her own. Imo, you will not need to include this. Look for the upcoming SC Ludere for your second year!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                The other mom can do this as a "bonus" supplement on her own. Imo, you will not need to include this. Look for the upcoming SC Ludere for your second year!
                Ok! Thank you! You will get to meet her this year at Sodalitas!
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Working...
                X