Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

2019 Speaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Speaking

Just fyi …

Upcoming
    March 2019 - Missouri, Great Homeschool Convention
    April 2019 - Cincinnati, Great Homeschool Convention
    May 2019 - live Schole podcast, Classical Homeschool
    June 2019 - California, Great Homeschool Convention
    June 2019 - Pennsylvania, Templeton Honors College
    July 2019 - Louisville, Sodalitas, Classical Latin School Association, Memoria Press
    July 2019 - Chicago, classical education conference
    October 2019 - Cleveland area, classical schools gathering

Previous
    February 2019 - Houston area, classical schools conference
    March 2019 - Fort Worth, Great Homeschool Convention
    March 2019 - South Carolina, Great Homeschool Convention

ARGG! You were here in Houston, and I missed you! Rats! Hopefully, I can make it this summer.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

I would have come to see you in Houston too!
      Catherine

2019-20
      DS16, 10th
      DS13, 7th
      DS11, 6th
      DD11, 6th
      DS7, 1st
      DD4, JrK
      DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
      2 in classical school

Comment

My apologies! I would have loved to have you there. If it helps, although I stayed in Houston the conference was in Brenham.

We will try to give more notice here for such things in the future. I do keep an Events page at cherylswope.com, so you can pop in over there.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          My apologies! I would have loved to have you there. If it helps, although I stayed in Houston the conference was in Brenham.

We will try to give more notice here for such things in the future. I do keep an Events page at cherylswope.com, so you can pop in over there.
          I probably wouldn’t have been able to get to Brenham. But I do hope to see you in person someday!
          Catherine

2019-20
          DS16, 10th
          DS13, 7th
          DS11, 6th
          DD11, 6th
          DS7, 1st
          DD4, JrK
          DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
          2 in classical school

Comment

What is the Simply Classical training that is happening on the pre-conference day? Is this anything more than what will be covered at regular Sodalitas?
            Susan

2018-2019
            A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
            C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
            G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Cheryl,
              Templeton Honors in June? Please fill me in. This is a program we are giving serious consideration to for my teen. We will be connecting with some of their folks this next week in PA at thenSt. Emmelia Confernce, especially since there is the St. Basil Center for Orthodox Thought and Culture.
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
                What is the Simply Classical training that is happening on the pre-conference day? Is this anything more than what will be covered at regular Sodalitas?
                Good morning Susan (sfhargett),

For the pre-conference day, Cheryl will be giving two sessions, a morning one tentatively titled "Struggling Learners in the Homeschool and Tutorial Setting" and an afternoon one tentatively titled "Struggling Learners in the Classroom and School." Cheryl may chime in with more details; she was at a conference this past weekend, so it may be a bit before she can return to the forum.

HTH!
                Last edited by Michael; 04-04-2019, 07:16 AM. Reason: updated this post to reflect Cheryl Swope's below
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you, Michael.

I'm now home and, refreshed from March conventions in Texas, South Carolina, and Missouri, I am happy to be back!

Susan (sfhargett):
                  No matter what the title becomes for pre-conference, we will try to include all new material for those pre-conference sessions. This year at Sodalitas the SC special-needs sessions will be content-based, just like the regular sessions. When the regular track explores studying math, so will the SC track but for special needs. When the regular track discusses Latin, so will we but for children with special needs. This will leave plenty of room for extra information, tips, and Q&A for each of the pre-conference half days.

Susan (SPearson):
                  I have been contacted by both Dr. Amy Richards and by the Dean of Templeton Honors College, where a Master of Arts in Teaching in Classical Education is now available as a 30-hour program. Such classical pedagogy programs at universities across the country are exciting enough for me to see, but this is especially encouraging because new course, Classical Education and Special Needs, is offered. Scheduled as guest instructor of this course on June 25, I will then give a public lecture on campus that evening. I will know more after visiting but already appreciate the program's vision and mission.

Comment

Houstonian here too. I'm going to keep an eye out for this also!
                    Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                    DS (MP1) - 7
                    DS (K) - 5
                    DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                      Thank you,

Susan (sfhargett):
                      No matter what the title becomes for pre-conference, we will try to include all new material for those pre-conference sessions. This year at Sodalitas the SC special-needs sessions will be content-based, just like the regular sessions. When the regular track explores studying math, so will the SC track but for special needs. When the regular track discusses Latin, so will we but for children with special needs. This will leave plenty of room for extra information, tips, and Q&A for each of the pre-conference half
                      Thanks Cheryl. So it sounds like the pre-conference will be additional information. Awesome!
                      Susan

2018-2019
                      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
                      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
                      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Cheryl,

A delayed response to your response. Yes, this new Master's in Classical Education Teaching that Templeton Honors is offering is really quite amazing. I just arrived home Sunday after being at the Antiochian Village with a bunch of other Orthodox homeschoolers. Andrew Kern is always there and, this year, Templeton had a booth in the vendor hall (which is small at a conference this size.) In the past, schools like Grove City were represented there. This time, Templeton. Dr. Cyril Jenkins (History Professor) was there working with the teens and had admissions people and current Templeton students there to interact and answer questions. Plus, 2 feet away was Andrew Kern (who immediately asked me, just as he does every time I talk to him, if I have read your book! LOL!) He is encouraged by Dr. Brian Williams as the new Dean at Templeton. It's definitely on our 'list' for Blake. We'll see. But so are a few other places. We're locked into college degrees for this kid who wants nothing more than to be a classical educator.

SusanP

Comment

Working...
                        X