Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Thank you, Cheryl and MP Team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Cheryl and MP Team!

Hey All,

I wanted to say a BIG thank you to the Memoria Press team and Cheryl for coming out to Greenville for the Great Homeschool Convention.

I especially wanted to thank Cheryl for her last talk on finding the "sweet spot" with our special needs students. It really helped me dial back my expectations today when I thought my 17 year old should be able to do "the high dive", when really he was only ready for the "middle dive". Previously, I would have gotten frustrated with his overly emotional response to my request, but today I realized that if he was having such a strong emotional response, I needed to take him back to the "middle diving board" (the instructional level) and walk him through this one step at a time. It can be so hard for me to see, that even though something seems like "no big deal" to me, it IS a big deal to him, and although I am not going to allow him to avoid the difficult or uncomfortable, I do have to help him through in a much more compassionate and understanding manner. Understanding this better also really helped me to stay calm and unemotional, which is what he needs for me to be.

I also want to say that 2 other things really impacted me and have already impacted our homeschool:

1) "There is no excuse for abuse." Even if my emotional teen, who struggles with anxiety and self loathing, feels angry and frustrated, it's NOT ok for him to take it out on me or his siblings. Being able to clearly address this in such an unemotional, clear and emphatic way is a tremendous help.

2) "We don't allow name calling in our homeschool, and that includes not calling ourselves names." This is HUGE! My husband does this, and so do my boys! I am so thankful for the verbiage to be able to concisely say to them why there is no room for ridicule of anyone, even themselves, since we all are amazing creations made in the image of God.

I am slowly realizing that although my boys are capable of growing in self control and self government, I am going to have to be much more explicit and direct in my instruction in these areas. I have been expecting them to just "get it" eventually, but I am starting to see that there are some obstacles I need to clear from their paths, and there are some extra middle steps that I need to add in to help them get where they need to go. So thankful for the conference and for God using Cheryl and others to help me find my way.

May God strengthen and enable you, Cheryl and the MP team, as you continue on this rigorous convention tour, but please know that what you are doing is making a real difference in the lives of real people like me and my family. Thank you!

In His love,
    RuthAnn

Well said <3 Simply Classical is such a blessing!
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Thank you, RuthAnn. South Carolina was lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you!

We appreciate prayer for the many conventions. With Texas earlier in March, South Carolina last week, Missouri this week, Ohio in April, California in June, and then Chicago & Louisville in July, I am traveling far more than usual and love seeing all of the families. You all encourage us!

In addition to my own appearances, Memoria Press with Simply Classical resources will be present in all of these areas.

2019 Convention Calendar The Memoria Press staff feels it is important to get out and meet our customers. We are excited to hit the road this year! Check out our 2019 Conventions Calendar below to see where we will be exhibiting. Come visit the Memoria Press booth: DATE CONVENTION CITY March 7-9 Great Homeschool Conventions [...]

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Thank you, RuthAnn. South Carolina was lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you!

We appreciate prayer for the many conventions. With Texas earlier in March, South Carolina last week, Missouri this week, Ohio in April, California in June, and then Chicago & Louisville in July, I am traveling far more than usual and love seeing all of the families. You all encourage us!

In addition to my own appearances, Memoria Press with Simply Classical resources will be present in all of these areas.
        Instead of coming back to expand on my reply, I'm coming back to say, "You going to be speaking at the Ontario, CA convention?!" I haven't gone to a convention in quite a while, but now I have motivation! I so hope that I can make it!! Thank you so much for your service to children with special needs! The blessings we've received from your efforts are many, and we're so grateful <3 I really hope to be able to see you speak in person in June!!
        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
        ds 23, graduated
        dd 15, 9th Grade
        dd 12, 6th Grade
        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

This is such a good reminder! It makes me rethink putting Myself & Others on hold. So often I wish my youngest would just absorb upright living through osmosis, but I think I need the gentle curriculum to explicitly teach certain manners. Sometimes American life in its relative luxury lacks as many teachable moments as our forefathers had.
          Mama to 2

Summer:
          MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
          SY 20/21
          4A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            This is such a good reminder! It makes me rethink putting Myself & Others on hold. So often I wish my youngest would just absorb upright living through osmosis, but I think I need the gentle curriculum to explicitly teach certain manners. Sometimes American life in its relative luxury lacks as many teachable moments as our forefathers had.
            Yes! This is so true! We are ALWAYS in such a hurry. I have to force myself to slow down in order to teach the really important things. So crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
              "You going to be speaking at the Ontario, CA convention?!" I haven't gone to a convention in quite a while, but now I have motivation! I so hope that I can make it!!
              Yes. I'm looking forward to sunny California! If you attend, you MUST come by the SC/MP booth to introduce yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

Yes. I'm looking forward to sunny California! If you attend, you MUST come by the SC/MP booth to introduce yourself.
                If I'm able to make it, it will be for the sole purpose of stopping by the SC/MP booth!! Now I have to find a way to make it happen!
                Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                ds 23, graduated
                dd 15, 9th Grade
                dd 12, 6th Grade
                ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                  I've been pondering this the last few days too! We're going to have to pull it back out!
                  Susan

2019-2020
                  A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
                  C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
                  G (6) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
                  X