Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Where to Start or Should We?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enigma
    started a topic Where to Start or Should We?

Where to Start or Should We?

M has expressive language delay. He is 2 yrs 7 mos. He is between 12-18 months for speech. He has 3x monthly ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) speech therapy and we work with him constantly as a family. He is decidedly left handed and has shown preference since he could grasp an object. He has no other delays or issues.
    If he has Emerging for a lot of the language tasks on the SC A checklist, but is otherwise ok in the others, is he still good for starting? We read lots of books, “write”, play, etc.. I want to have a guided plan, though. I would be looking into using the charter school version.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-23-2019, 12:28 AM.

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    Originally posted by Enigma View Post
    M had a little evaluation today. He is now at 22 months for expressive speech! Yea!
    How wonderful!!

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Very cute!

I'll let someone else answer the Cart question.

Regarding MP Preschool vs. SC A, here is a a fun fact: SC A was created first! We merely removed the special-ed terminology and space for therapy homework. Voila: MP Preschool!

That is so interesting! I LOVE the way SC teaches and would love to have been able to use SC at an accelerated rate instead of regular MP for my neurotypical and even accelerated children. To bad for my kids that it's my youngest that got us into SC and they are too old to benefit from it, LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Enigma
    replied
    M had a little evaluation today. He is now at 22 months for expressive speech! Yea!

Leave a comment:

• Enigma
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

To order a package on the charter website, you need to call or email. That website cannot build packages at this time.
    Thank you for answering that.

Leave a comment:

• Enigma
    replied
    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Very cute!

Regarding MP Preschool vs. SC A, here is a a fun fact: SC A was created first! We merely removed the special-ed terminology and space for therapy homework. Voila: MP Preschool!

That is good to know. I was afraid we might miss something by not doing MP Pre (Even though I think he needs SC) that I was considering ordering both CG’s. Now I don’t have to!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    A quick question: I noticed there is no easy way to add SC A as a package on the Charter site. Am I just missing a link or do I actually need to add items individually to my cart?
    To order a package on the charter website, you need to call or email. That website cannot build packages at this time.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Very cute!

Leave a comment:

• Enigma
    replied
    Yea! I win chocolate!

I am going to go for it! SC A Charter for the fall. A quick question: I noticed there is no easy way to add SC A as a package on the Charter site. Am I just missing a link or do I actually need to add items individually to my cart?

Also, I was really torn between SC A and MP PreSchool. How was SC A modified for neurotypical children? I am curious.

And a cute moment-- Our children's library has random letters and numbers imprinted in the flooring. Yesterday and today, M has been going round to these and saying (or trying to say) the letter sounds and number names while he traces them with his finger! I think it is time I procure some sandpaper letters and numbers for him.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-27-2019, 10:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Hi, Enigma -- you are one of our originals! You might win the "prize" for being on this SC forum the longest. Good to hear from you on this.

Yes, you can most definitely begin. As you said, having a guide with something structured will only enhance what you are already doing. Know that you can repeat A if you need to. Several families have done this successfully. Teach the 34 weeks of A. If the child is not ready for B, repeat A, perhaps by teaching in an accelerated 17 weeks.

Charter SC A
    Readiness, Rhythm, & Rhyme Ages 2-3 (Chronological Age or Skill Level) Book List Sample Lesson Plan Readiness Assessment Supply List Skills to Develop Level A provides an introduction to wonder, books, and language. Intended for children ages 2-3 or special-needs children at an introductory level, this program offers daily lessons designed to teach beginning readiness abilities in the rich context of beauty and stories. Level A emphasizes oral language through such enjoyable readiness concepts as animals sounds, counting books, and nursery rhymes.  

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    The prevailing advice is to make sure the child scores 75% of more in the yes column, so as long as he's close, that's where I'd start. I wasn't aware there was a Charter School version of A. It's pretty much a beautiful, methodical, incremental walk through picture books with concept/idea/language awareness, some memory work, recitation, and calendar time.

My little guy also came up the EI track. I miss that so much. He aged out at 3, and the fall he was 4 we rolled into SC B. I wish I had known about SC A! My little guy has far more going on, but in spite of that, he's now 5, saying all of his sounds, reciting 5 memory verses, answering 15 Recitation questions, coloring inside the lines, cutting like a champ, reading many CVC words, and writing numbers 1-5...and the year's not over.

FWIW, my LG is a lefty. He has hypotonia, but so far it hasn't handicapped him the way we thought. He's turned out to be a bit ambidextrous, and he has one heckuva throwing arm.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    M has expressive language delay. He is 2 yrs 7 mos. He is between 12-18 months for speech. He has 3x monthly ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) speech therapy and we work with him constantly as a family. He is decidedly left handed and has shown preference since he could grasp an object. He has no other delays or issues.
    If he has Emerging for a lot of the language tasks on the SC A checklist, but is otherwise ok in the others, is he still good for starting? We read lots of books, “write”, play, etc.. I want to have a guided plan, though. I would be looking into using the charter school version.
    I cant speak to SC-A, but your comment on him being “decidedly left-handed” ever “since he could grasp an object” raised a flag. I would ask for an evaluation on his hand, shoulder, and core strength if he hasn’t had one already. If he’s already that preferential to one hand, I would be concerned that it might actually stem from strength issues in the other hand/side of his body. Strength issues can be hidden/subtle (as we learned the hard way with my then-9yo).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X