Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 3 Literature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC 3 Literature

Why aren't there any books scheduled for literature during the first 7 weeks of SC 3?

ETA: What if I did the Beatrix Potter stories during those 7 weeks? I've been wanting to add them back in somewhere because we love Beatrix Potter and were disappointed that they weren't in SC. I know they are from the end of 2nd grade, but they are so much easier than some of the other books in the 2nd grade series and we have read each of those books many (many, many, many, LOL) times. They are so familiar, and we could do the literature guide orally. What do you all (especially Cheryl) think?

Or, what about sneaking in Blaze and the Forrest Fire and Miss Rumphius from the regular More Storytime Treasures (I have it too)? Does it matter if Billy and Blaze is done before it's scheduled time in weeks 8-10, or does it line up with something?
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 03-20-2019, 07:29 PM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Good morning, Cheryl!

We focus on phonics the first seven weeks especially for students who are new to SC or students who have not yet covered vowel teams through FSR E. Between the little vowel-team stories in FSR E and the American history readers, we thought this would be plenty for most.

However, I like your idea of Beatrix Potter during those first seven weeks if your student is ready for this! We use Miss Rumphuis in Myself & Others, and I think it would be easier for you to keep Billy & Blaze where it is in the SC 3 lesson plans, so Beatrix wins my vote!

Comment

We were very happy with the workload those first 7 weeks. The writing book 2 was a challenge to adjust to, and we team read the history readers. I might suggest going with the plan initially and then seeing if you feel like you need to add more?
      Christine

(2018-2019)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Good morning, Cheryl!

We focus on phonics the first seven weeks especially for students who are new to SC or students who have not yet covered vowel teams through FSR E. Between the little vowel-team stories in FSR E and the American history readers, we thought this would be plenty for most.

However, I like your idea of Beatrix Potter during those first seven weeks if your student is ready for this! We use Miss Rumphuis in Myself & Others, and I think it would be easier for you to keep Billy & Blaze where it is in the SC 3 lesson plans, so Beatrix wins my vote!
        Thanks Cheryl :-) I wondered if maybe you did something different or extra in phonics and reading. We use a different phonics program (a synthetic phonics program we were using before SC and is better fit for him than a traditional phonics program) and with the reading scheduled with phonics instead of writing in the individual lesson plans for SC 3, I don't know what is scheduled for reading (my phonics also has it's own spelling, so I don't need the Phonics, Reading, and Spelling lesson plans). Leaving those weeks blank for Literature would be felt.

Thank you for your help! I'll do Beatrix Potter and probably Miss Rumphius during those 7 weeks. I'm pretty sure he is ahead of SC when it comes to his reading ability (he easily reads all the books in SC Storytime Treasures and does all the reading himself), so I don't think the Beatrix Potter will be challenging...plus he is so familiar with them that would help with any words that might not be as easy. He's still in SC 2 because of his writing challenges (his skill sets are all over the place, with physical act of writing being by far his most challenging). So, I don't think the reading will be difficult, and we can do the Student Guide orally so he can focus on the new writing book for those weeks. If we still have time (I doubt BP will take more than the scheduled 4 weeks), we'll do Miss Rumphius. It's familiar because of previous children, and we read it this year in Myself & Others. If we need more writing, we can do some of the activities from the regular More Storytime Treasures book (I have an extra one) to get back into the swing of things for SC More Storytime Treasures.
        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
        ds 23, graduated
        dd 15, 9th Grade
        dd 12, 6th Grade
        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          We were very happy with the workload those first 7 weeks. The writing book 2 was a challenge to adjust to, and we team read the history readers. I might suggest going with the plan initially and then seeing if you feel like you need to add more?
          Thanks Christine :-) I am going to do the above plan but will definitely keep that in mind as an alternative if my plan ends up being too much. Since we don't use SC for phonics, so we have more of a "hole" where there is no literature than someone using the entire program and likely need something there. But, it pays to be flexible and have all your bases covered!
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Cheryl:

I am curious what you use for Phonics? I am running into a similar situation. My eldest has cognitive delays and when I started homeschooling him, I started off with All About Reading which really seemed to work well. I did that for three years and we made it through two levels. Last year I decided to switch on over to SC. My issue is that my son can read all the words with few mistakes and usually that is him just going fast. I am going to post my specific challenges in a new post as I have other questions, but I was just curious if you cared to share what you were using. Hopefully the Beatrix books work out well for you!

Erika

DS13 - SC3
            DS11 - Barton Reading/Spelling & SC3
            DD8 - AAR/AAS & MP1
            ​​​​​​​DS5 - AAR & ready to being MPK

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
              Cheryl:

I am curious what you use for Phonics? I am running into a similar situation. My eldest has cognitive delays and when I started homeschooling him, I started off with All About Reading which really seemed to work well. I did that for three years and we made it through two levels. Last year I decided to switch on over to SC. My issue is that my son can read all the words with few mistakes and usually that is him just going fast. I am going to post my specific challenges in a new post as I have other questions, but I was just curious if you cared to share what you were using. Hopefully the Beatrix books work out well for you!

Erika

DS13 - SC3
              DD8 - AAR/AAS & MP1
              It's a British program called Dancing Bears. I love the program, but some are not fond of the British humor in it. There are also some British spellings. I used their spelling (Apples and Pears) with all of my children and their phonics (Dancing Bears) with my younger two. Some things are hysterical...one dictation sentence was, "My mother is getting older, but she is still attractive." Hahahahaha! Some things upset some people (usually if they are against drinking any kind of alcohol). But, it's a great program, and I haven't found anything like it elsewhere. My daughter did their regular A, B, and C Books. My younger son started with Bearing Away (basically a prequel to Dancing Bears for children with more extreme learning issues), Bear Necessities A1 & A2 (Dancing Bears expanded into two books for children with more serious learning issues), and is now in Book B. It has been hugely successful for us, especially for my son.
              https://www.soundfoundations.co.uk/e...reading-en_us/
              https://www.soundfoundations.co.uk/e...rning-to-read/

Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
              ds 23, graduated
              dd 15, 9th Grade
              dd 12, 6th Grade
              ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                My eldest has cognitive delays and when I started homeschooling him, I started off with All About Reading which really seemed to work well. I did that for three years and we made it through two levels. Last year I decided to switch on over to SC. My issue is that my son can read all the words with few mistakes and usually that is him just going fast. I am going to post my specific challenges in a new post as I have other questions, but I was just curious if you cared to share what you were using. Hopefully the Beatrix books work out well for you!

Erika

DS13 - SC3
                DD8 - AAR/AAS & MP1
                Good morning, Erika. Just to clarify, when you say your oldest can read all the words with few mistakes, is this in the literature selections only, or is this also the American history read-alouds and Bible story selections? If only the former, I would encourage you to apply the same phonics and fluency strategies for the more difficult reading in SC 3.

Also, just knowing the various challenges of your situation, I strongly suggest that you to use something you and he already know. You mentioned that your oldest learned well from AAR, so you might want to revisit this for supplemental phonics if you need something additional.

I hope all is well there. It is good to have you back!

Comment

Working...
                X