Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Letters/blends/team tiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters/blends/team tiles

Has anyone found tiles/cards that fully match the Traditional Spelling colors, including red for vowel teams and blue for consonant teams/blends? I can recreate a file I made a couple of years ago, but it will involve changing all the colors around so I thought I should check here first.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

All about reading! They also have an app! I like to use both, actually!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      All about reading! They also have an app! I like to use both, actually!
      They handle the blends differently. In TS, the r-controlled blends are still red since vowels are involved. I don't want the kids to get used to a different setup and then get thrown a curveball when they start TS.
      Jennifer

2018-2019
      DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
      DS-12 (6M)
      DS-10 (SC3)
      DD-8 (MP2)
      DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

They handle the blends differently. In TS, the r-controlled blends are still red since vowels are involved. I don't want the kids to get used to a different setup and then get thrown a curveball when they start TS.
        Oh yes, good point. I remember this being confusing when we did it, so I kept the AAL colors, since she was used to those. My son has not had that, so when he does it, we can use some of the tiles, but not all.
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

I love our Logic of English letter tiles, but the r-controlled vowels are purple to show that the sound changes and the vowels get closed off by it. It hasn't bothered my kids at all. They also don't have blend tiles because each consonant still says its own sound. They do have digraph tiles, though. They differ on ough and augh, too. They don't separate the gh as /f/. Because I taught my daughter 1.5 years of LoE, she thinks the TS/FSR approach is weird, so we do a blend. Now, after MP2 Lit guides and TS2, she is correctly labeling the endings like el, le, and al as red. Those would be red AND blue separate letter tiles in LoE as well.

I vote MP should make their own set because they're really helpful with our kiddos who don't do writing so well.

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

One thought is you could buy the AAR set of tiles and request some extra blank red and blue tiles. I think you would need to call to get them individually. Generally if you call in with a purchase they will send you up to 5 individual tiles. You could then write in sharpie (or a label maker as the tiles are slick) the r controlled on red and any missing consonant teams on blue. I have only used AAR/AAS so far, but I did notice TS divides the phonograms differently and adds some different combinations.
            Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
            DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
            DS 10 - 5M
            DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

We discussed the proposition of colored tiles for use with the Traditional Spelling program back when the program was in development but Cheryl did not think they were necessary for the regular program and felt a better use of time was to write the colorful words. Also, we endeavor not to add a bunch of extra items to our packages that would cost an arm and a leg to produce and therefore cost an arm and a leg to purchase. Our classrooms didn't feel they would be the best use of time. However, for a student who needs that visual or the manipulatives these would be useful. I agree that if your child needs this extra practice making your own tiles that follow the TS color coding would be best so as not to confuse your student.

Comment

Okay, will do. But if these could be made/sold for SC packages, it would be a HUGE help.
                Jennifer

2018-2019
                DS-12 (6M)
                DS-10 (SC3)
                DD-8 (MP2)
                DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

I had to edit my earlier post to say "Cheryl Lowe" and I talked about tiles. Additions to the SC line would be an entirely different discussion but one we will take into consideration. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Yes, for SC Tanya and I discussed tiles in the very beginning! We would love to provide these. However, for all of the reasons Michelle T offered tiles are not currently included.

Perhaps some day....

Comment

I am thinking Montessori moveable alphabet. These are even cursive, but not New American. I think if you google further, you might find the right color combination. I had these at one point, and there is a particular tackle box, with curved edges they fit in.
                      https://shopmontessoriprintshop.com/...ctions-cursive

free...and there are black, blue and red options

http://www.jmjpublishing.com/hope4melanguage.html
                      Last edited by howiecram; 03-15-2019, 05:14 PM.
                      Christine

(2018-2019)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                      X