Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

How to apply SC methods in high school

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to apply SC methods in high school

As I was writing out our intervention history for A, I finally saw clearly that he needs over-teaching for concepts as well as consistent review. We’ve only been focused on the latter.

Can anyone share how they’ve done this with a high schooler? Does your year run longer? Do you take more time with each lesson? How does it work if you’re in MPOA? Do you re-watch the classes or watch them with your high schooler? How do you handle the inevitable “Mom, I can do this myself” protestation even when they really can’t?

Any and all feedback and insight is welcome. We really need to sort this out for him.

Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

One thing I do differently than MP is that I don't schedule subjects for once or twice/week. Even with my neurotypical children, learning is better and more complete when we do less work every day (or almost every day) than more work once or twice/week. I also do 4-day school weeks so we have a free day each and don't have long time periods off. I'm not sure about MPOA. My daughter had her first class (Fourth Form Latin) this year. It will be weird having so much time off this summer! I need to see if they have a review class during the summer. If they do, she will take it. If not, I'll have her continue to review over the summer to solidify. She doesn't have any learning issues (her grade mid-term was 99%), but it would still be to her benefit to review and solidify.
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 03-08-2019, 02:53 PM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Jen, with MPOA I have contacted the instructor ahead of time to alert for any learning differences. So far I have been very pleased with their responses. We discuss any modification or accommodations that might be needed. For Algebra, my daughter takes a class with a physical teacher in a classroom at cottage school, then watches the streaming videos. For science, we bought both the Novare text and ebooks in order to make accommodations. Her teachers modify expectations for written papers in Classics, Lit, and Composition. She has dyslexia and struggles with analyzing literature (which is what the upper level Classics courses tend to be - Literature). We switched from the Concise US History book to the one used on MPOA (The American Pageant) because it is available on Learning Ally; found quizlet already made for it, too. :-) . We do not have a longer school year because we all need a good break. Modify the courses/assignments to make them fit a regular year when you can (for courses that are not cumulative).
      Angel
      Mom to 5 Teens.

Comment

Hi Jen,

We do go through lessons more slowly than the lesson plans. Algebra 1 we are working through at half-pace with the streaming videos. It will take us a full two years to get through the course, but he gets an A on every assignment. I am hoping Geometry will move more quickly, but it may not. For Comp, (Ref/Con this year) we are working at about 1/4 pace. He will write quite a few less essays, but they are polished and well-written. For Lit, we are slowly reading two books this year.

We do a reduced load (5 classes), and we will designate a few weeks in the summer for school.

Latin and Science are the subjects he can complete at the LP pace, so we do that. We haven’t used MPOA yet, but I’m considering it for those strong areas next year.

We are planning on 5 years for high school, too.
        Catherine

2019-20
        DS16, 10th
        DS13, 7th
        DS11, 6th
        DD11, 6th
        DS7, 1st
        DD4, JrK
        DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
        2 in classical school

Comment

Thank you ALL for these insights! I'm mulling them over and will be sharing them with my husband and son as we discuss how to proceed.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
          MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
          MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
          As above, plus:
          MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
          MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Working...
          X