Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Fall plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall plans

Hi!

We are cruising along with SC4, SC2 (with AAR) and MPK. I am pleased with everyone’s progress. However, my youngest is only just finishing book B of FSR. I feel no remorse, or concern. We started in October and she is moving at a steady rate. I purposely waited on her so I could invest more time at the start of the year with the older two. I do not regret this one bit! This will mean phonics in the summer for her, but after two FSR “failures” (the failure really resting on the instructor). I have no issue doing this. I guess 3rdx is the charm, because I think I finally figured how to make the most of the program. I am kind bummed I have no more kiddos to reap this knowledge! Though, after nearly 5 years in perpetual K, it will be bittersweet to move on! I do not know exactly what the future holds for her as we have not reached book D, but my inclination is that she will be fine. I have a feeling “1st” grade will probably not start until late October and again I feel at peace with this. Four years ago when people suggested staggered starts, I could not acceot that! .

My my son is moving along. I opted for AAR for him as I was comfortable with this. He did not seem ready at all for MP1. He is doing the SC2 Bible + writing + copybook + recitations, cursive, and SC3 spelling and math. He also finished SC Storytime treasures. I expect he will be done with More Storytime by June. His reading really took off at Christmas. His writing is better than mine, he can craft well constructed sentences, and he rarely protests his work these days. I am leaning towards MP2 for him next school year, with SC4 “math”. (Trying to slow down R&S 2). Our mini co-op will be doing a “boy” MP2 literature and Latin, and I think it will be a welcome challenge.

I am still on the fence about the oldest. I have been really “studying” the 3A manual and 5/6 and I even purchased the R&S science teacher book to look it over. My heart is in SC, but I am feeling like my daughter might be ready for 3A? We plan to do literature and Latin as a mini group again, and the plan is to try the 1 year pace. However, we are willing to move to half pace if we see the girls struggling. My friend is leading the Latin portion (Prima) and said she is noticing that the retention of the early words is diminishing and they are all struggling with pronouns, so we are still discussing. (My gut is telling me it is likely going to end up half pace rather quickly). My daughter is only on lesson 80 of R&S3, but I have never been more at peace. She did several problems on the board today (3 digit carry and borrow) and she was pretty excited she completed them so quickly! (She was beaming when she finished!). Slooooow and steady! It really works! She is doing almost all the work (lesson, fact forms, etc). She is finishing the fact forms now in under 5 minutes! We will continue working through R&S 3 until we are done. The Christian Studies/Greek Myths will probably go at the SC pace only because I like how it is scheduled, and I know she will need this. I am leaning towards Astronomy though and saving the R&S book for my son and younger daughter the following year.

All this sounds good, but when I schedule it out, I am freaking out a bit. There seems to be no time for margin! If I only do “phonics (Latin for the oldest)”, math, and spelling, that is 3 hours alone (and only 20 min per subject with each kid). I know this year I was anxious and things do not take as long as I thought, but each new year gives me pause!
    Last edited by howiecram; 03-07-2019, 06:35 AM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

This looks like a good plan with some flexibility built in. Your children are all doing well!

Comment

Working...
    X