Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Enrichment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enrichment?

With all the inconsistency and now back-tracking we've had with E (almost 7), she won't be finished with Level 2 until January. She can finish by November if everything goes perfectly, but we all know how that goes. My question now is, what do I do for Enrichment for everyone? We usually combine them all in one level, so E is currently doing MP2 Enrichment with her brother and sister. But next year, her sister will be in 3A (so no Enrichment with that), and C will be in SC4.

I'm not sure if SC4's Enrichment would be too much for E, plus it would be a bit of overkill for her sister who will be doing D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. I'm not sure which of our options is best (or if there's one I'm not seeing):

1. Do SC4 Enrichment for C and E, but have daughter in MP3 do the Third Grade American History Read-alouds instead
    2. Skip Enrichment until E starts Level 3 and then have them do Level 3 Enrichment together (optional for C since he'll have his own with SC4)
    3. Focus on Me, Myself, & Others with everyone instead of Enrichment (but keep SC4 Enrichment for C)
    4. Pick up Level 2 Enrichment for the girls after we finish the one from MP2 (C can join in if he wants to)

This post seems completely convoluted...I hope it makes sense!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

I would make this a non issue! Keep going with MP2 enrichment. In the fall, if you have SC3, go ahead and do it, since it reviews the art cards. I would not worry about the MP3 history read aloud, just read SC3 to both. If you get the art cards and music done, great! I kept the science read aloud out and I just had the child “read” them at his/her leisure. This “neglectful” approach was really fruitful, actually! (My kids love them, so they enjoyed reading them!)
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

We're planning on doing SC3 enrichment (which is read-aloud in SC 5/6) with my core 3 child and SC 5/6 child.

I'll also have a first grader. If we do her picture books and science things...amazing. if not, it will be Christine's 'neglectful' enrichment style. Books are out and available.
      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Agreed. SC 3 will offer art, music, science, and the AmHist read-alouds that anyone can hear you or the student read. This will keep it all cohesive, allow you to review K-2 Art Cards, if only by displaying them, and give you flexibility, just as howiecram & Colomama described. This could be the simplest and most comprehensive option.

The main point is not to over-emphasize the importance of Enruchment but treat it like dessert. Make sure you first plan enough time for the basics. Friday afternoons might be Enrichment time?

Given your busy household I would try this before adding Myself & Others into the mix, unless you already see an open time each day to teach M&O. If you know where in the schedule you might teach it, here is a tip: Book One of Myself & Others is quick & easy, with no writing, so you could try this with the younger ones without too much extra effort and, we hope, with plenty of gain!

Comment

Michelle, what have you decided you are doing for the classical/Greek/science? I am up in the air and also feeling a little overwhelmed. I am looking at MP1, MP2, 5/6 or 3a. The only reason 3a is coming to mind is our “co-op.” We are planning to give LC a try in 1 year and we will do the Lit as scheduled in MP3A. We are doing Intro to comp with it. If I “only “ spend 20 min with each kid doing spelling, math, phonics (Latin for the oldest) that is 3 hours.

(Sorry to hijack your post Jen!)
          Last edited by howiecram; 02-19-2019, 09:30 PM.
          Christine

(2021/2022)
          DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
          DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
          DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I'm doing 5/6 with both my olders together. My daughter will do Spelling Workout D (3a). My son will do Traditional Spelling as scheduled. My daughter will do lit and comp as scheduled. My son, either lit 4 or something else entirely. Math is different for both, daughter has blossomed with Saxon, son is doing MathuSee this year. We'll see. I added in Copybook 2. We'll see on that.

That's the plan for now. I've toyed with LC1 online for the daughter and SC 5/6 for the boy as scheduled. Hmm.
            DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
            DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
            DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Working...
            X