Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Little House, Ch 1, part 2 activity- help “correcting”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little House, Ch 1, part 2 activity- help “correcting”

This is my daughter’s (age 9) “letter” using instructions on page 8 of the student guide. How would you grade, edit, correct this? (Mama needs guidance in coaching writing!). We mostly formed them together, meaning she had trouble even knowing what to say. I guided a lot! P.s. if there are spelling errors you see below it is my typing, not her spelling, I did check that already.

Dear Ruby,

It is butchering time! I like most of it. I do not like when they kill the hog. My favorite part is the bladder and the pig’s tail. Pa blows the bladder up and ties it with a string. Pa gives it to Mary and me to spat back and forth. We cook the pig’s tail over the fire and it tastes good. The other things that are good are the cuts of meat that we eat throughout the winter. It is getting cold, we have to spend a lot of time inside. I am looking forward to seeing you in the spring when we can travel again.

Love,
    Laura

(hard to push the closin pg far enough right on i-pad!

(She asked if her “teacher” could “grade” this!)

Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Oh my gosh! I'm sure Cheryl will give more feedback but this is EXCELLENT! I honestly don't see anything to change other than encouraging her to use her own words instead of "spat back and forth" since that is right out of the book. But I don't know if I would even bring that up this time around as this was her first attempt and she did an amazing job on everything else.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Totally agree. I would leave it. She did awesome. Even if you guided her a lot.

We're doing grade 3 literature with Intro to Comp. It took several weeks / months of me showing how to rewrite the answers into a paragraph and then suddenly it clicked for my son.

Just keep mentoring / demonstrating. Keep up the good work mama!

And this ''teacher' says slap a unicorn sticker on the top of that page, write 100% and give her a cookie. Ha!
      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

[QUOTE=Colomama;n109607

And this ''teacher' says slap a unicorn sticker on the top of that page, write 100% and give her a cookie. Ha![/QUOTE]

Ha! I love it! She is doing very well, being able to answer the lit guide questions, mammals, etc, but these “writing” assignments still seem to be a struggle. We had to work sentence by sentence. However, the value in this lesson far exceeded the writing skill (which she needed).

Jen - she actually used a different word for “spat” back and forth, but she thought since it was a vocabulary word, that using it was prudent?
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

I love this! And I love her reasoning for thinking "spat" was prudent. ☺

You might create a grading rubric. This keeps it objective and gives her a checklist.

You could try something like this or create your own to add anything she needs to work on, e.g., penmanship:

1. Did all of my sentences begun with a capital letter, end with the appropriate endmark, and make complete sense?

2. Did I include interesting details in my letter?

3. Did I use a good greeting and a good closing?

4. Was my letter free of grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors?

5. Did I capitalize all proper nouns?

For each of the above, you might give:

1-----2-----3-----4-----5

Total ____/25

Based on this rubric, her letter looks like 25/25 from here!

Or, as Colomama says, give the girl a cookie -- and her teacher gets a cookie too.

Nice work!

Comment

If she chose to use that because it was a vocabulary word, then give that girl TWO cookies! Way to go!
            Jennifer

2018-2019
            DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
            DS-12 (6M)
            DS-10 (SC3)
            DD-8 (MP2)
            DD-6 (SC2)
            DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Working...
            X