Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help with Wikki Stix/Play-doh letters and numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Wikki Stix/Play-doh letters and numbers

I'm stuck. I can't get my little guy to make any letters or numbers with modeling dough or Wikko Stix. It's like he doesn't understand the concept. Hubby and I have shown him numerous times, but we pretty much have to do it for him. It's like he doesn't understand the end starts the shape. I have traced 4-inch numerals on a large laminated mat. He just has to match the snake or wax yarn to the shape. He cannot do it. Any thoughts? We've also tried to just ask him to make it without the template, and he throws a fit, I think because it's just not in his wheelhouse.

Thanks in advance.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Do you have these, or something similar? https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/045084
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

You still have to have the stix the right length, but perhaps you can demonstrate and then he tries? Oh for Playdough, make for him, for now the basic shapes. Make several snakes. A few make the “c” shape. He would then join the stick (on the correct side) of the “c”. An “a” would need a “c” and a short snake. Capitals might be easiest for now. The playdough really helped my son with the reversals b, d, p, etc.
      Last edited by howiecram; 02-14-2019, 04:10 PM.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Hmmm, we pretty much do a homemade version of the cards. I wonder if there's something magical about them that should make me pull the trigger. The length of my letters don't perfectly line up with all the stick lengths. Plus, if it doesn't fit perfectly, he gets all fussy. Or, if he wants a different color that is not cut to the right length, he tries to make it fit, but it doesn't. And when I insist he use the short one for cross pieces, he stubbornly shuts down. It's so frustrating for both of us.

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

He's only in B. You can wait on this.

You mention that he acts as if he does not understand, and truly he may not yet understand the representational nature of this task.

An alternate activity:
          -You set before him the "C" that you make from clay or playdough. Say "C" and have him repeat. With everything else you are doing in the full alphabet lesson, this may be sufficient to reinforce the idea that this letter before him is representing the sound you have been presenting in the lesson. (Done.)

A more advanced option:
          -After you do the above, he can touch it, trace it hand-over-hand with his forefinger, or simply look at it and say "C" back to you.

Still more advanced:
          ​-He make​​​​​s his own. But this really should be a fun thing to do. No need to push if it is confusing or distressing.

Note: If the very sight of the clay or Wikki sticks is now a trigger for frustration or gloom, consider 1) a set of lowercase and uppercase tiles or letter beads for the tabletop or 2) magnetic letter tiles and a slantboard. You can use such tiles for several years, so it will be an investment.

Feeling for you -- sometimes we just cannot anticipate the internal struggles that will occur in the minds of our little ones (or our big ones).

Sounds like a good night for a long soak in the tub -- for you if not for him!
          Last edited by cherylswope; 02-14-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            Hmmm, we pretty much do a homemade version of the cards. I wonder if there's something magical about them that should make me pull the trigger. The length of my letters don't perfectly line up with all the stick lengths. Plus, if it doesn't fit perfectly, he gets all fussy. Or, if he wants a different color that is not cut to the right length, he tries to make it fit, but it doesn't. And when I insist he use the short one for cross pieces, he stubbornly shuts down. It's so frustrating for both of us.
            Yes, my son was similar. I do not think I had the wikki stix for him. I believe the color choices, varying lengths would have frustrated him. I think we skipped it until level C/ SC1. My younger daughter loved it! (But she was teaching herself to write by herself.)
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow if he's in a good mood. I'm going to see if having them preformed helps. I might even model it first, undo it, then see if he can put it back together. If that doesn't work, we'll table it for a while.

SY 19/20
              DD 8-3A
              DS 5-SC C

Comment

Working...
              X