Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

OT: Roadtripping tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Roadtripping tips?

I am planning of making a 20 hour one way drive to visit my aging grandparents. This trip will include hotel stays and stays at more than one family members’ homes. I haven’t ironed out the exact amount of time for everything but it will probably span the better part of 3 weeks. I’ve flown with all three by myself but this will be the first time I brave the drive.

Have any of you tried to do any school work while traveling? Any tips for traveling with children who require more?

TIA!
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

I'm planning an epic drive to the Texas coast, similar to yours. We can't miss 2 weeks of school, so we need to do some school.

Here's my plan, for now. Flashcards, reading, and recitation. Done.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Our kids have done 10s of thousands of road trip miles by now... We like to use road trip time for map exploration, alphabet car games, skip counting, Xtramath, audiobooks (perhaps shorter stories like fairy tales would be better if your kids are younger), sing along hymns and folk songs.

If there are interesting stop off points, that can help too - a short hike, a museum or historic site.

In our road trip experience, less stuff is better. If there is an abundance of toys, they always seem to want the one that is out of reach... We never get to as much book-school work as I think we will - a couple books per kid is always plenty.

You might consider neck pillows or something to help keep them comfortable. We found some at Aldi for $5 recently, and the kids slept more soundly in the car when their heads weren't flopping around.

Best of luck to you, and prayers for your grandparents!
      Amanda
      Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

We give each child a tote bag (like the reusable grocery totes you get for 1.99 at Meijer). They usually pack one stuffed animal or doll in it and then one or two activities they can do in the car without getting carsick (two of my kids with sensory issues are hyper-responsive to motion). This way, there’s enough to occupy but not so much that it ends up all over the car or lost.

if you have a car-sick prone child, OR aren’t sure how they’ll do on a longer trip, keep an OPEN box of ziplock bags in the back seat within reach of your oldest child (just don’t tell the kids what it’s for until someone starts saying they don’t feel well; power of suggestion and all...) Also keep a container of Clorox wipes and a bottle of hand sanitizer in the back pocket of the front seats and a change of clothes (including undergarments) for each child in a bag. Trust me. Do this.

Keep snacks in a cooler inside the car rather than the trunk so your oldest can pass them out at snack time.

When traveling, we keep the kids on their normal eating/sleeping cycle as much as possible. Rehearsal dinner? We’ll make an exception. Movie at the cousins? Sorry, the kids have to get to bed.

We haven’t really tried schooling on the road, but I agree with Amanda and Michelle: pick your top two or three essentials.

A friend of mine has traveled more during the school year and she tells her kids that they will be expected to do an hour and a half of schoolwork at the hotel each day before the family can go out and explore. Her kids are older so the length of time may be different but I can see where it would be great for keeping kids in the normal routine despite traveling.

A BIG thing is to set the kids’ expectations as far as snacks/meals/sleep/school. This will help ease anxiety about the trip because they won’t feel like their world is about to become a free fall.
        Last edited by jen1134; 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Wow! Such a wealth of info! I’ve started making my list of must haves.

I don’t feel like we can miss weeks of school either but don’t want to miss the time that I know is slipping away. Michelle, are you doing lit guides or just reading?

I like the idea of setting the expectations about school work and limiting toys. I picked up 3 plastic totes so I could rotate sets of books between the kids. I thought about having my older two keep a short journal of things experienced. Has anyone tried this?
          Heidi

2018-19
          dd- 3m
          ds- SC 1
          dd- SC B

Comment

I don't plan on doing lit guides. After you've done a few, you (the teacher) are pretty well trained in asking good discussion questions. If you feel the need to bring guides, id just bring the teacher guide to facilitate discussion questions.

Extra clothes. Yes. A full, labeled set in a Ziploc. Don't forget yourself! If you need to change someone's clothes, you'll want a sealable bag to put them in. Trust me.

A few trash bags. You can buy a little box for $1. It's amazing how much trash is produced.
            Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
            DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
            DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Working...
            X