Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided โ€œas isโ€ without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New: Easy Reader Classics Collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so excited to see this! My boys are in SC 3 and just finished Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie. They really enjoyed that book, And the rereading practice is excellent for them. But I have wanted them to have some other good books on this level to practice. We/ they have read all the books our family has had at this easy reader level, so I will be excited to order the set when it is available. One is reading better than the other, so I may handle the books differently for each one. Any suggestions on this? My 10 year old can probably pick up one of these books and read it fluently, other than the unusual names, while my 11 year old struggles more, sometimes a lot, depending on the day. Cheryl, thank you for another great idea! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€ You and SC are such an encouragement to me!

Comment

Prior to reading scan the stories and cover any words you think will give your reader trouble. Practice decoding these first walking through the decoding process of looking for known phonetic chunks or breaking into syllables. Read through this list of words several times. This will build confidence when reading words in context and build phonic skills.

Comment

You are welcome, Lillian. You are an encouragement to us!

You might handle this by getting two different sets. Choose whichever seems easier or more interesting for your 11yo and teach that set to him, just as Michelle T described. Work through the other set with your 10yo. This may help to avoid direct comparisons. After they read those books well, you can switch or simply leave them lying around for either boy to pick up.

Another approach might be to teach the vocabulary in a given book to both boys, then schedule time to work only with your 11yo on reading the book aloud, and then allow your 10yo to read the book independently. You can give casual "quizzes" about content to check, or you can have the 10yo read to you privately. Whatever you think will work best --

As always, keep finding things your 11yo can do well and make a point to notice. These might be non-academic things, such as thorough sweeping, always remembering to take out the trash, or helping in the kitchen. Anything to build him up sincerely in other areas can help offset those struggles.

Comment

Will these only be sold individually? I'd love a set ;-)
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
            Will these only be sold individually? I'd love a set ;-)
            Right now they are grouped by series, with all books in a given series available from a single webpage, but we could make a single set for those who want all 18 books. That will take a few days though!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Right now they are grouped by series, with all books in a given series available from a single webpage, but we could make a single set for those who want all 18 books. That will take a few days though!
              Thank you, that would be wonderful!
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
              ds 23, graduated
              dd 15, 9th Grade
              dd 12, 6th Grade
              ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

How about on that same Wind and Willows page, etc there be a set of those books? So you can buy the individual Willows books or the Willows set?
                Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

I would love if we could buy them all together, for a little โ€œcoreโ€ discount!
                  Christine

(2018-2019)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                  DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                    How about on that same Wind and Willows page, etc there be a set of those books? So you can buy the individual Willows books or the Willows set?
                    Good morning,

We've only printed full sets for two of the our series, so we felt that at this time offering sets for some but not all the series would be confusing. We will however create a single set for all eighteen books across the four series.

HTH!
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

Hmmm...I'm glad I logged in and saw these. This might be helpful for Ligia who is still at about 3rd grade level reading? Or would it be too babyish for her? Or maybe with my 8 year old who is still not reading independently. Thinking...hmmm.

Comment

Yes! I was thinking of you because you had requested an alternate SC Extended Lit set. Here you go! If Ligia is like my daughter, she will enjoy these. Those challenging names kerp them from feeling too young. And the illustrations are compelling. You might try with just a few and see what you think.

Comment

I was wondering this too. We have just a few more chapters of Charlotte's Web left and we are definitely at the top of my boys comfort at this point. Our last book of the year is Homer Price and I hear that's supposed to be an easier level.

Do you think these are too easy for him?

I was thinking of Spring Break reading.

Comment

It depends. If he doesn't mind pictures and understands that these are not his Literature selections for studying, as with his Lit Guides, but rather Spring Break readers to keep his reading sharp, he might find a welcome ease in reading them.

When you receive them, you may be able to tell with certainty. If for some reason they are too easy or you think he will find them too young, you might ask him to read these to your youngest daughter. He could "practice" with you until he is fluent and then read to her. (That way you're givjng him good practice in fluency and inflection while not expecting her to have unrealistic amounts of patience.)

Here is a sample:

The Story of Doctor Dolittle, Book #6
                            Chapter title "Home at Last"

(first page of the chapter below -- spacing is much wider and pictures are plentiful)

Doctor Doolittle and the animals headed for home. After many days at sea they finally spotted the Puddleby shore. Happy and excited, the animals jumped up and down. "I wonder if things have changed," Doctor Dolittle said. "Or perhaps things will be exactly the same!"

Comment

Do we have an expected ship date?

I think he would love to read Dr. Doolittle especially. And who can't love a mischivious Tom Sawyer?

They seem all about 30ish pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                                Do we have an expected ship date?
                                They will begin being shipped by the end of this week.

HTH!
                                Michael
                                Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                                X