Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Suggestions for abnormal behavior days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for abnormal behavior days

hi! I could use some help for those days when it is clear that your child will not cooperate? I am thankful these are becoming less and less, but I could use a plan of action to follow to be consistent. I knew it was going to be rough when the tantrums began with simple requests for normal daily “chores” (dressing, putting dishes away, brushing teeth, etc). We already worked through these tasks and generally he is cooperative and rarely even needs reminders. He has a cold, so I had planned to lighten up a bit on the load today, but we did not even make it down the stairs before the nonsense began. I ended up asking him to go to his room. He did go (screaming, but he went without me taking him there) and I just moved onto the girls. When I was at a good stopping point, I asked him to come out and begin his phonics lesson. He was very calm, reasonable. He had spent 30+ minutes playing with his cars and magnatiles. He clearly needed this “down” time, but I also want to make sure he is not rewarded for his ridiculousness.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

It sounds like you handled it well. Prevention is helpful, of course, if you can anticipate such days.

We had a "light day" schedule during sickness. This lessened both over-reactions and manipulations.

Fevers = full exemption

I found it helpful to require make-up work for anyone who seemed to be malingering over time, but a one-day "light day" or even a "late start" was preferable to no work at all.

Comment

My little guy is getting a cold right now, too. It's always in hindsight that I'm figuring out why the day before was rather rough.

Anyway, today he needed a lot of mommy time. He sat on my lap while I worked with big sister. She read to him from her chapter book while he doodled. I sat with him while he colored. We did lots of oral recitation. We read a few books. Normally, my lil guy loves answering questions about books, but today he was rationing his words, so I didn't push it.

I don't know about your kids, but if I ignore school and don't push it, they will come begging and pleading for school out of sheer boredom. It's my secret, reverse-psychology plan. ;-)

Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
      DD 8-3A
      DS 5-SC C

Comment

I had “planned” something similar, but just getting through the normal morning was the problem! Ugh! He ended up doing all his work and was pretty calm the rest of the day. Go figure!
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
        X