Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Finished SC-C.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished SC-C.

My son finished SC-C last month, and I need a little direction on what to do next. Since we finished we have been going back through read alouds, Aesop’s, and recitations. He has real challenges with memory and even greater ones with comprehension, so this is working fine for now. We are moving ahead in math, reading, and copywork. Fine motor skills are not longer a problem. He has lovely handwriting for a 6 year old and is forming letters correctly. Math is going well. We started R&S 1, and it is perfect. I have the MP-K lesson plans as well as the SC-1 lesson plans and we do a bit of both. He gets hung up on a topic here and there, but we have been able to simply pause, address it, and move in without too much trouble. I am using All About Reading for reading instruction. We started using this while we were still working on SC-C. It helped him retain the letter sounds he was learning because he was using them daily in the reader. It is probably the only non-MP product we will stick with. I have been making his own copy work, but MP Copybook 1 is in the mail on it’s way to us. He writes and colors all day long for fun so I’m sure this will be fine.
    My question is whether I should continue in the SC curriculum or switch over to regular MP? I read the sticky thread (several times), and am still unsure since comprehension and memory (perhaps one in the same problem) are what my son struggles with, more than handwriting.
    We intend to school year round and I would like to have a clear road forward rather than piecing the old and the new together indefinitely. Thanks in advance.

Where are you at in AAR, and do you intend to complete all 4 levels?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

We’re on lesson 22 of level one. He’’’s doing well, but I’’m open to suggestions. I do intend to do all four levels, but we’re also not so far in that that’s set in stone.
      Last edited by Purcellski; 02-04-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I would use SC 1 next. He still has plenty of time to transition over to MP, but you want the transition strong, complete, & successful.

Our SC 1 Copybook & Recitation uses slightly shorter verses for memory work, so mastery is attainable; yet the depth and meaning remain. He will benefit from the SC 1 Phonics plan & progression. Most of all, you will have everything easily accessible for teaching all in one manual.

Next year you might transition to MP 1, but if he needs yet another year in SC, this is perfectly fine. SC 2 will revisit all of the phonics you have been teaching, but with a view to reading fluency. After that year he might be ready for MP 2 and move "full steam ahead" in the MP Classical Core. If not, you still have SC levels available.

A reminder: Our SC Readiness levels SC A, B, C and SC Primary levels SC 1, 2 work on oral language, language comprehension, and strengthening memory. Language -- both receptive & expressive -- is at the core of it all. The importance of this cannot be overstated as the foundation for later learning.

SC C - oral language, memory, pre-reading phonics/phonological awareness
        SC 1 - oral language, memory, phonics, reading, writing
        SC 2 - oral language, memory, phonics, reading, reading fluency, comprehension, composition

All are customizable, as you know, so you can insert any level of arithmetic you need. With the arithmetic you receive the SC Arithmetic plans that help memory work in arithmetic as well.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. We both loved SC-C. And I will be glad to stick with SC-1. Having everything in one manual will be nice and he while he is improving, he certainly still needs help with language and memory.
          Just a fun story. When he hears me coming to get him in the morning he asks,” “Who’’s that trap trap trapping over my bridge?”” The Three Billy Goats Gruff has been his favorite. Thanks

Comment

If you only have level 1, by doing SC1, you will actually save! By save, I mean in expense and time. If you add AAR to MP, it does mean you are doing a little double duty. (Even if you removed MP phonics). The great thing about MP is the integrative nature.
            Christine

(2018-2019)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
            DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
            X