Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Bathing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathing

Clara has started a new thing that I do not comprehend or know how to deal with. She will not bathe. This has been going on for more than a week. I have taken away her iPad and her favorite stuffed animals. I have offered to take her to her favorite restaurant and buy her dessert. We have told her that she does not smell good. I have gone over the importance of cleanliness. I just ordered Myself and Others 2. I do not know what else to do. I cannot physically throw her in a shower or tub because that would be child abuse (although the thought honestly did cross my mind). Has anyone else gone through this? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Well, there's the creative route. Perhaps a fun day trip to a community or rec center/YMCA indoor pool could be fun. Once you get there, there are the mandatory requirements for "showering before you enter the pool."

My son got 2-ish years of ABA, and this was their bread and butter. There's always something you can offer (reward or punishment) for doing as you say (taking the bath). First, ABA therapists always ruled out some kind of injury, pain or bonafide reason the child is avoiding doing what you want them to do. Second, they set an expectation. Sometimes you work in increments towards the goal (i.e., today you're going to take a warm, soapy washcloth to your face, underarms and private areas, then wipe/rinse with a warm, wet washcloth). Sometimes, if the goal is reasonable, you just make it the goal.

I do know that ABA (behavioral therapists) will consult for single issues if you have the cash. Some insurers also have up to 6 self-referred psychology session before needing a referral from a doctor. You could also make an appointment with your child's pediatrician. Sometimes they speak in a way that parents can't, whether it's because the child is embarrassed to have that issue in front of a stranger, or because they can warn them about what could happen if they don't do x, y, z.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by enbateau; 02-02-2019, 01:58 PM.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

Thank you for the advice. Clara has never really liked taking a shower and it turns out that the reason she wouldn't do this for more than a week is because her sister is not rinsing the shower afterwards and there is hair in the tub. I guess we need to have someone come snake our drain. I just think that this will be helpful because typically I have to beg her to take a shower after 2 days. Now I have a few ideas on it.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Working...
      X