Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

My boy is reading!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boy is reading!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm so excited. My little guy, who has undergone so many health obstacles of the body and mind, blended together his first few words today. We're halfway through SC B, and I have to admit, at times it seemed like the progress was so slow. The first week we started SC B, my 4 yo routinely launched the workbooks across the table in frustration. It got to the point that he would run and hide under the dining room table when I announced it was time for coloring. He had about a 90 second attention span for workbook-style activities, recitation and coloring those first few months. He could sit for maybe a 5 minute book. Fast forward to today, and he colored his FIRST whole page of Bible Stories to Color (R&S), including ridiculous amounts of sand and sky. He loved looking up the number-color key on the back cover, a skill I thought he'd never assimilate. He sat for the book and answered all the questions. He begged for more books, and we're up to 30-ish minutes of reading in one sitting (picture books only, but yay). He traced his letter of the week, number of the week, and colored the corresponding pictures, more inside the lines than ever before. He recited his prayers, scripture verses and recitation facts. We spoke about the weather and days and months. He now begs for more school, more reading, more everything!

Then, we got to playing with letter tiles my eldest had out for Traditional Spelling 2. Just for grins and giggles, I pulled out c, a, & t. I pointed. He said their sounds, and low-and-behold, he said, "cat!" I almost fell over. I drew over an f. "Fuh-a-tuh. Fat," he whispered. I pulled over an m. "Mm, a, tuh. Mat?" he questioned. "Yes!" I cried out. Then, I pulled an h, s, r, b and v. He blended so beautifully by the 2nd or third go that I shook his shoulders and picked him up to swirl him around the room. He had a grin the size of Texas on his face. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. When my mom came over, he repeated saying the sounds and blending together the words. Later, when hubby came home, he just straight up read the words without blending them. Woah!

I think we're going to stay the course and finish strong with SC B. I have SC C that I just ordered a few weeks back, and I briefly looked over the FSR Teacher Guide and A book. His ability to "write" and form letters is pretty minimal, so maybe we'll just keep practicing with the letter tiles and see how that goes, starting C in the fall.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in this beautiful curriculum! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Our friends and relatives are praising God for His grace and mercy and wonderful success in this Classical Christian education!
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Oh my goodness. So exciting! Brings back memories for me. It's nice to see all that work paying dividends to both of you. Keep up the good / hard work.

Yay!
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing this!
      -Laura
      2019-2020
      DD8, MP3/SC5-6
      DD6, MP1
      DD5, MPK

Comment

That is so wonderful! Congratulations to you both!
        Gina
        Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
        (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
        DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
        DD-9
        DS-8

Comment

Hooray!!! Plan to stay the course with B and C to keep foundations strong. Thrilling news for both of you!

Comment

So amazing!!! Congratulations!
            Emily J

2018-2019 School Year
            DD (11)-MP 5 core
            DD (9)-SC 4
            DD (8)-MP 2 core
            DS (6)-SC B

*Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task but you will succeed if you persevere: and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to obtain something beautiful is ever lost. ~Helen Keller*

Comment

Working...
            X