Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Faster pacing for More Storytime Treasures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster pacing for More Storytime Treasures?

C (10yo) has really hit his stride! He’s begging to read the More Storytime Treasures books in one sitting (which he can do) and he would like to work through the Student Guide more quickly (I’m not letting him skip). Has anyone quickened the pace in More Storytime? What framework did you follow for it? His comprehension is solid but the phonics/grammar work is all new (and needed) so I don’t want to rework things the wrong way and make it overwhelming.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Are you doing MP1 or SC3?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Oh wait I see now! sC3. We finished all of that last year (including Prairie School ) about this time last year. I think we read one day, then did about 20 min in the student guide the next day. If it is not done in one sitting, I would re-read the next day and then finish the student guide.
      Christine

(2018-2019)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        Oh wait I see now! sC3. We finished all of that last year (including Prairie School ) about this time last year. I think we read one day, then did about 20 min in the student guide the next day. If it is not done in one sitting, I would re-read the next day and then finish the student guide.
        I wouldn't have thought of just doing a set amount of time each day. *facepalm*
        That will be much easier than trying to break up the work by topic or whatever. Thank you!!
        Jennifer

2018-2019
        DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
        DS-12 (6M)
        DS-10 (SC3)
        DD-8 (MP2)
        DD-6 (SC2)
        DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

I pretty much operate on a “time allotment” for each subject. This means my SC4’er, who would claim to be done with Latin in 7 minutes, is actually learning and retaining her latin now. Math, she can only do about 1/2 a lesson, but is remembering her multiplication! When we did SC3 read aloud last year, some of the reading was too much and some too little. I decided 20 min everyday, and we were able to stick with it! (I tried originally “keeping up” with the guide and felt defeated). Ocassionally, I deter from the time allotment, when needed, of course. I use Laura Berquist suggested time per grade. I have been pleased, because for the most part it seems to be spot on for not getting too far off the guide.
          Christine

(2018-2019)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
          DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

howiecram, I am very sorry for inserting myself here, but I do not know how else to ask my question. I am completely new here. I saw a post from you that mentioned how to use AAR alongside MP's materials. I am wanting to move into MP, but we have already started with AAR, and are finally finding our stride. Could you help me find our place?

Comment

Yes, I can try and help! . Where are you at in AAR, and do you suspect any learning challenges?
              Christine

(2018-2019)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
              DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

We are in AAR's PreReading program. It is beneath my daughter, but when I purchased it she still had some issues with letter confusion. I realize that we are not ready for MP K, but I am wondering how far along we need to be in AAR before beginning MP. My daughter has high functioning autism, dyslexia, dysgraphia, and SPD, especially APD, so, yes, there are language delays. She is very verbal and has an advanced vocabulary, but is asynchronous in her language development. THANK YOU!!!

Comment

You might consider Sc-c, instead of AAR. You can actually use the pre-reading alongside SC-C. I did like some of the games in the pre#reading level. I did follow the Sc-c letters, instead of the AAR sequence. If Sc-c was learning letter “b”, I did all the corresponding “b” pages. AAR does uppercase, then lowercase, but I heard many moms say the just did one letter at a time, and it worked.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...culum-level-c/
                  Last edited by howiecram; 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM.
                  Christine

(2018-2019)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                  DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                  X