Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

PS Testing, continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Testing, continued

It wasn't clear to whom I should address the evaluation request, so I emailed two staff members in our district's special education department. One responded saying that I should call/email their secretary and she would get the process started. I emailed a fully formatted letter and copied my husband and Mr. Piland (MPOA) on it. Would you send a printed letter as well? Or will that gum up the countdown clock?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Re: PS Testing, continued

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    It wasn't clear to whom I should address the evaluation request, so I emailed two staff members in our district's special education department. One responded saying that I should call/email their secretary and she would get the process started. I emailed a fully formatted letter and copied my husband and Mr. Piland (MPOA) on it. Would you send a printed letter as well? Or will that gum up the countdown clock?
    Apparently I won’t need to send a printed letter. She just emailed me the intake/history questionnaire!
    Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
    7M with:

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

Re: PS Testing, continued

Apparently I won’t need to send a printed letter. She just emailed me the intake/history questionnaire!
      I hope this goes well for your family! Be sure to check with your state’s homeschool association or HSLDA for anything specific to your state for this process.
      Catherine

2019-20
      DS16, 10th with MPOA
      DS14, 7th
      DS13, 6th
      DD13, 6th
      DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
      DD4, JrK
      DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
      2 in classical school

Comment

Thank you, Catherine! I checked HSLDA based on your advice and they only say that homeschoolers are eligible for evaluation in Indiana. But your note prompted me to revisit the state info and it was a good thing I did! I realized that I should have sent our request directly to the district’s special education director; so I emailed a copy of it to her with the other communications I have had with her office. The secretary has been amazingly helpful and proactive but I wanted to make sure no one could sideline our case down the road based on where the original request was sent.

They have assigned us to a school psychologist and are in the process of assigning a state testing number but we have to take in a copy of his birth certificate for that. Thankfully, the office is just a few blocks away from us so we can take it in today.

The state says they have 10 school days to send us notification of their decision on testing so I’m assuming that will be a notice from the psychologist herself rather than the “”we have referred you to so and so who will schedule testing”” note that I already received??

For anyone else who goes this route in Indiana:

The state has a helpful guide available here: https://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default...-june-2017.pdf

And here is a copy of Article 7, the part of the Indiana Education Code that deals with special education evaluations. Rule 54, Sections 1-9, deals specifically with private school students, including homeschoolers: https://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default...5-2017-spi.pdf
        Last edited by jen1134; 12-21-2018, 10:08 AM.
        Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
        7M with:

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Thank you, Catherine! I checked HSLDA based on your advice and they only say that homeschoolers are eligible for evaluation in Indiana. But your note prompted me to revisit the state info and it was a good thing I did! I realized that I should have sent our request directly to the district’s special education director; so I emailed a copy of it to her with the other communications I have had with her office. The secretary has been amazingly helpful and proactive but I wanted to make sure no one could sideline our case down the road based on where the original request was sent.

They have assigned us to a school psychologist and are in the process of assigning a state testing number but we have to take in a copy of his birth certificate for that. Thankfully, the office is just a few blocks away from us so we can take it in today.

The state says they have 10 school days to send us notification of their decision on testing so I’m assuming that will be a notice from the psychologist herself rather than the “”we have referred you to so and so who will schedule testing”” note that I already received??

For anyone else who goes this route in Indiana:

The state has a helpful guide available here: https://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default...-june-2017.pdf

And here is a copy of Article 7, the part of the Indiana Education Code that deals with special education evaluations. Rule 54, Sections 1-9, deals specifically with private school students, including homeschoolers: https://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default...5-2017-spi.pdf
          I'm so glad that was helpful. It is a different process for us (contact the neighborhood school's special ed director), so I'm glad you found the correct information. I would assume you'd hear from the psychologist herself after Christmas break. We were contacted both by the school psychologist and an educational diagnostician to set up an initial meeting where I signed all the consent forms, and the school nurse performed a hearing & vision test on my son. Then the psychologist gave questionnaires for both my son and me to fill out, and she met with me individually and him individually (I stayed in the room though) for an interview about his challenges. The diagnostician administered all the cognitive and academic tests, which took two 4 hour sessions. She also gave us forms to fill out regarding a plan for post-high school. We just finished up this week and should get the report as soon as school starts up again. I hope everything continues to go smoothly for your family!
          Catherine

2019-20
          DS16, 10th with MPOA
          DS14, 7th
          DS13, 6th
          DD13, 6th
          DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
          DD4, JrK
          DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
          2 in classical school

Comment