Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 5 & 6 is Here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    started a topic SC 5 & 6 is Here!

SC 5 & 6 is Here!

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that SC Levels 5 & 6 is now available on our website.

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

The greatest difference might be in Latin. As with my own children, we take more time and teach with more strategies each new group of 10 words, each new grammar form, all new English vocabulary derivatives, and each new Latin saying. With this method we spend 4 years on LC in the Two-Year Standard plan. This may sound surprising, but it allows us to truly master the Latin grammar while continuing our necessary work in English reading, spelling, and writing. All of it works together. By the end of SC 11&12, students will have completed First Form Latin, and this will be an enormous accomplishment.

In a nutshell, there are five major differences with SC 5&6:

1) Writing and Spelling - Writing is both greatly minimized AND targeted. Along with EGR I and Core Skills: Language Arts 3, we target writing through the extensive yet simplified spelling lessons in Traditional Spelling II (which MP 3 students already completed in MP 2) and the literature-correlating Intro to Composition. We are teaching writing in these areas but not requiring it in "content areas."
    2) Content - Some of the content is intentionally different, such as adding the practice of thankfulness (gratitude) and including a broader science course.
    3) Multisensory Teaching - We add non-writing games and activities for practice and review.
    4) Pacing - The pacing is slowed to allow for more practice, more review, and more multisensory teaching strategies along the way.
    5) Oral teaching - Because many of our SC students have low stamina, yet we do not want to keep them from studying great things, we teach several courses orally.

Similarities:
    - MP Third Lit, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, Christian Studies I, English Grammar Recitation I. (However, note that ALL of these are taught without the extensive written portions. We use visuals such as the Timeline Program, maps, flash cards, art, and working on the board, but we do not have daily written lessons in these areas, nor do we expect memorization of all things memorized in MP 3. This lessens the workload tremendously.)
    - States & Capitals - We teach these as written, maps and all, because our SC students have been well-prepared for this by SC 3 and 4.

Differences:
    - As mentioned, much of the above is taught orally with visual aids. This allows our SC students to study and review the more challenging content but without the extensive writing requirements of MP Third. We will offer an "Additional Writing Practice Set" with Student Guides for all subjects for those who prefer to have them.
    - Our writing consists only of these: Latin, Arithmetic, Poetry, Core Skills: Language Arts 3, States & Capitals, and Spelling. For most of our SC students, this will be plenty!
    - In math, Latin, and most subjects, our lessons are shorter each day because we are dividing them over more time. This reduces the daily workload.

Latin -- As mentioned, Latina Christiana is taught with full writing expected but at quarter-pace (Two-Year) or half-pace (One-Year). We will cover 1/2 LC in 5 & 6, 1/2 LC in 7 & 8. To help with memory, we add non-writing practice, games, and time for both initial and cumulative review. This is more in keeping with what we did in my home and it worked well for all of us.
    Greek Myths -- We do not expect knowledge of all Greek names, places, and myths. We teach the myths, but our accumulating recitation is of only the 12 major gods, goddesses, and their symbols. We believe this will serve our SC students sufficiently in literature studies in the years to come, although more advanced students may use the flash cards to master much more as time permits.
    Science -- As you noted, science is substituted. We wait until 7 & 8 to cover Astronomy after students have a good exposure to Greek Myths, terms, and names. Astronomy will help to review Greek Myths. Our SC 5 & 6 Science includes experiments and activities to help teach basic knowledge (scientia) about the world that our students may not "pick up" otherwise. Our Science also includes health & hygiene so necessary for most of our students. We covered Mammals in SC 4, so we do not include Mammals.
    Writing -- We do not use ATFF; rather, we use MP's new Intro to Composition coordinated with the literature selections. This allows our literature to serve "double duty", assists comprehension of the literature, and teaches outlining with content directly from their lit selections. This reduces the workload because students are working with the same material both for oral literature studies and for their Intro to Composition rather than studying new passages for outlining in a separate program. This difference is significant.
    Music -- We will use the playlist & book only in 5 & 6, adding the CD with more complex musical theory in 7 & 8 after they have a good background knowledge, history, and familiarity with the selections. This greatly reduces the workload and time spent, yet students will benefit from the music.
    Art -- We use Creating Art to allow for students' own artwork to coordinate with their classical and literature studies. This reinforces the studies and is interspersed throughout. Students will not study art daily, but they will receive art instruction. This is a difference that is added to 5&6.
    Arithmetic -- We take two years for mastering R&S 3 (Two-Year Standard) through shorter lessons. We add non-writing games, a Demo Clock, and other visual aids to the lessons to assist mastery and memory.
    Spelling -- MP has moved to SWO by MP Third, but we are working through Traditional Spelling to teach and review phonics, word patterns, prefixes & suffixes, and masterfully created word studies.
    American History -- We do not include formally in 5&6 because we covered American history in SC 3; however, we offer the SC American history read-aloud set as our Extended Literature for anyone who missed it or who wants to review. (We recommend the accompanying SC Enrichment Guide for anyone who has time to add the accompanying discussion questions, vocabulary, and related enrichment topics.)
    Grammar -- We complete the wonderful exercises in EGR I, but we work them orally, with recitations, and on the board.

It does look like a lot of components, but keep in mind that the only book you need to keep accessible is the Curriculum Manual. You will devote an entire shelf or two to the components in the order you teach them each day. (We have a suggested order in the Curriculum Manual.) The materials will be pulled off and returned after each subject. I still do this at home with my daughter. We are working through First Form Latin together. We keep everything on the shelf, pull off what we need for the lesson, and then put it all away when we finish. We do not leave all of our books out. Somehow by shelving everything after our lesson is over, it not only keeps things neat and manageable, but it makes everything more inviting for next time.

I'll leave any further comparisons & contrasts to howiecram, our resident curriculum analyst!
    I now have the 3A curriculum guide, and the SC5/6 one year plans. I do not have 3M, 5/6 two year plans or 4th for new users. I think these two manuals 3A and SC 5/6 are probably the closest. I am not sure I can contribute much more than Cheryl’s extensive comparison, but I did find a few things.

To review: the book differences between 3A and SC 5/6

Spelling: Spelling Workout D (note according to the publishers, this is a 4th grade book) in 3A. Traditional Spelling 2 in 5/6. (This is scheduled in MP2)

Writing: All Things Fun & Facinating in 3A, Intro to Composition in 5/6. In SC 5/6, this course is essential, as writing is minimized in other subject areas. I have seen it mentioned when families are having difficulties with the workload in 3A, that the ATF&F can be dropped as writing occurs elsewhere.

No specific “enrichment” in 3A. Creating Art, Music Appreciation scheduled in curriculum guide for SC 5/6. Science is a text from Rod and Staff in 5/6, where 3A has Astronomy (this will be in 7/8)

Latin- LC is covered entirely in 3A, vs only 1/2 in SC 5/6. There are many more activities scheduled in the guide.

Cursive, 3A schedules NAC3 and alternates Copybook 2, cursive. SC 5/6 uses NAC3 + intermediate Thankfulness Journal. The Thankfulness journal especially helpful for the SC child.

The quizzes and tests are very similar, but they are not the same, the SC ones are “lighter”.

Literature pace for both is similar, but as the writing is reduced in SC 5/6, there are more checkboxes, and the work is distributed a little differently.

Core Skills 3 is scheduled in both guides, but it is daily in SC5/6. In 3A , 4 pages are scheduled on Friday. In SC 5/6, the core skills is done in order of the workbook, where in 3A, the pages must go by the grammar topic taught in English Grammar Recitation (I do not own any books yet, so, taking an educated guess on that one!) as they are not sequentially scheduled.

The most notable differences will be found in the curriculum guides + quizzes & tests. They are similar, but there are more teacher helps, games and multi-sensory components to the SC 5/6 manual. They really are worth the purchase!

There are 33 weeks in 3A and 34 weeks in 5/6. This means that even within a subject like math, where there are not that many differences in the weekly lessons, the extra week means that if you look at week 10, Thursday, you will be at different lessons. The daily schedule for Christian and Classical Studiesis also notably different. In 3A those subjects are basically scheduled 1 day a week in the guide. It is noted in the front part of the manual to review through out the week, but there are not actual check boxes daily, like there are in SC 5/6.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    Is core skills LA just doing a page or 2 a day from start to finish or does it jump around to match English Grammar Recitation topics?

Do you recommend choosing just one of the read-aloud sets: American History Supplement or the read-aloud set (Mary Poppins, etc). Is it too much to do both? I remember from SC3 that some of those books get long. I'm thinking maybe just have the read-aloud set on hand, but not schedule them per se.

Also, my son will be in middle school next year and I will have to turn in a weekly athletic eligibility form with courses and grades. Would you consider Greek Mythology as history? How would you list it?
    Core Skills: Language Arts --
    We are progressing through the book as it is written, rather than matching the pages to EGR, simply because it will be easier for mom/teachers to manage this way and easier on our children's minds. I know it would have boggled my daughter's mind to complete page 36, then 89, etc., so we proceed in the order CS:LA gives us. This will still be topical and logical for SC.

Readers or Read-Alouds --
    Yes, we are recommending one or the other for the very reasons you mentioned. Of course we encourage additional oral & silent reading from the MP/HLS book lists, but those books can be found at the library.

History --
    If you use the Ext.Lit. books, you can list American History: A Chronological Overview. If you prefer, you can list Classical Studies: Ancient Greece as his history, because he will study Courage and a Clear Mind: The Greeks as well as Greek mythology. If you're using both of these elsewhere, you can list Old Testament History as his history/geography course. You have several options!

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Is core skills LA just doing a page or 2 a day from start to finish or does it jump around to match English Grammar Recitation topics?

Do you recommend choosing just one of the read-aloud sets: American History Supplement or the read-aloud set (Mary Poppins, etc). Is it too much to do both? I remember from SC3 that some of those books get long. I'm thinking maybe just have the read-aloud set on hand, but not schedule them per se.

Also, my son will be in middle school next year and I will have to turn in a weekly athletic eligibility form with courses and grades. Would you consider Greek Mythology as history? How would you list it?
    Last edited by Colomama; 12-13-2018, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
    If we are not sure if we can complete 5/6 in one year, even though we desperately want to, should we buy both the one and two year lesson plans? I like to be able to look ahead, and want to get one for a Christmas present (for me!).
    Hi, Jeje. Maybe you could purchase the One-Year plans now and spend some time with them. You can see whether the pacing and workload seem realistic. This version is your preference, so you might start there.

Then if you decide that it will be much too fast or much too challenging, you could order the Two-Year when you order the full package.

Of course if you would prefer to look at them side-by-side before that time comes, you will need both. Your call.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
    If we are not sure if we can complete 5/6 in one year, even though we desperately want to, should we buy both the one and two year lesson plans? I like to be able to look ahead, and want to get one for a Christmas present (for me!). Also, if I order a curriculum manual now will I still be able to get the package discount when we are at 5/6 next year (God willing) or the year after? I neglected to ask this question before buying SC 4, and now I am near needing it, so just wondering and know that this should be a different strand, but did not want to make one for it.
    If a single order for the rest of the package is placed within six months of purchasing the curriculum manual, we can still extend the package discount despite the CM being in the separate, prior order.

Leave a comment:

• jejegreer
    replied

If we are not sure if we can complete 5/6 in one year, even though we desperately want to, should we buy both the one and two year lesson plans? I like to be able to look ahead, and want to get one for a Christmas present (for me!). Also, if I order a curriculum manual now will I still be able to get the package discount when we are at 5/6 next year (God willing) or the year after? I neglected to ask this question before buying SC 4, and now I am near needing it, so just wondering and know that this should be a different strand, but did not want to make one for it.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Boom! Ordered SC 5/6. I'm stoked!

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Good afternoon Colomama,

If all you need is the SC 5 & 6 CM (One-Year or Two-Year), we can offer free shipping on it during this December promotion. I'm not sure the system will automatically apply it though. Go ahead and try, as Cheryl suggested, but if it doesn't work, just send me an email (michael@memoriapress.com) and I will take care of your order when our office reopens tomorrow.

HTH!
    I sent a quote request to Sales on Friday when shipping automatically applied to my cart. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that individual lesson plans will come with 1 or 2 year options? Is there an ETA on them? I don't need them yet...just curious ;-)
    Yes, you are correct! The individual plans should follow shortly. I believe that many are already done, and I can give you an exact ETA when we reopen Monday.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    The announcement email said shipping was free for SC 5/6. I only need the CG as I ordered the other components I needed last month. Is there a free shipping code I need to enter or is it free shipping only if I order the whole set?
    As for Colomama's shipping question, you might try to proceed with the order and see if it calculates as "free shipping."
    Good afternoon Colomama,

If all you need is the SC 5 & 6 CM (One-Year or Two-Year), we can offer free shipping on it during this December promotion. I'm not sure the system will automatically apply it though. Go ahead and try, as Cheryl suggested, but if it doesn't work, just send me an email (michael@memoriapress.com) and I will take care of your order when our office reopens tomorrow.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied

Am I correct in assuming that individual lesson plans will come with 1 or 2 year options? Is there an ETA on them? I don't need them yet...just curious ;-)

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Ohhhh! I thought in previous threads it was said that Greek Myths and Christian Studies would be completed over 5/6 and 7/8. MP does that in 3/4. I misunderstood!

That makes my choice easier. I was thinking with 5/6 we would still not be done with those subjects and I would have to be working two manuals. THIS will keep us at SC for another year! I will still need to decide on spelling, but I will wait until we finish TS2 before “worrying” about that! I really like having only 1/2 of LC done. It is all coming together here now! Ha!

What are your thoughts again on the Ludere supplement? Here, I am specific to my oldest. We plan to work in a group again. You mentioned some challenges with it.
    We thought about both options, so you didn't misunderstand; we just made the decision to proceed this way!

As for Ludere, yes, I believe that adding that supplement in 5&6 will not be necessary because we will cover similar content through our non-writing games more suitable for our SC students. The parsing in LL is especially mind-boggling for our SC students at the 5&6 level.

I do have a surprise for everyone that will help with Latina Christiana for SC 7&8, however. I'm excited about this and will share more when we are closer!

As for Colomama's shipping question, you might try to proceed with the order and see if it calculates as "free shipping." If you already tried this, I will defer to someone more knowledgeable in such matters!

[I'll be back on Monday if anyone has more questions. I had to call it a day late afternoon when both children came home from respective staff parties brimming with stories to share. One who shall remain nameless was covered top to toes in a spilled tray of baked beans, but a quick clean-up and hot shower resulted in a fun evening. Thanks for all of the good questions. We are so thankful to be able to offer SC 5&6. Today my Michelle & I are organizing books for 7&8. Have a great weekend!]
    Last edited by cherylswope; 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

The announcement email said shipping was free for SC 5/6. I only need the CG as I ordered the other components I needed last month. Is there a free shipping code I need to enter or is it free shipping only if I order the whole set?

Anxiously waiting to push "buy" on my shopping cart 😁

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

When time permits, we'll share an overview of 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12 so you can see the full progression. Eventually we may include a full curriculum map in the Simply Classical Journal, just as in The Classical Teacher.

For 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12 we intend to cover much of the correlated material in MP Third-Sixth. This is one reason we chose to conduct some material orally, so we could hasten the pace in order to complete the full progression.

We finish all of these in 5&6:
    Creating Art
    EGR I
    Chr St I
    TS Spelling 2
    R&S Arithmetic 3
    States & Capitals I
    R&S Science 3
    Core Skills: Language Arts: 3
    D'Aulaires' Greek Myths
    Intro to Composition
    5 Literature Selections
    NAC 3
    My Thankfulness Journal
    Courage & a Clear Mind (Greece)

We continue these into 7&8:
    Music Appreciation
    Latina Christiana
    Poetry & the Grammar Stage
    Golden Children's Bible
    Timeline
    Ohhhh! I thought in previous threads it was said that Greek Myths and Christian Studies would be completed over 5/6 and 7/8. MP does that in 3/4. I misunderstood!

That makes my choice easier. I was thinking with 5/6 we would still not be done with those subjects and I would have to be working two manuals. THIS will keep us at SC for another year! I will still need to decide on spelling, but I will wait until we finish TS2 before “worrying” about that! I really like having only 1/2 of LC done. It is all coming together here now! Ha!

What are your thoughts again on the Ludere supplement? Here, I am specific to my oldest. We plan to work in a group again. You mentioned some challenges with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X