Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 5 & 6 is Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howiecram
    replied
    Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The games and instructions are actually included in both CMs. The games are simply scheduled more often in the Two-Year pace.
    So helpful!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    I want the one year pace, but with all the fun games. Ha!
    The games and instructions are actually included in both CMs. The games are simply scheduled more often in the Two-Year pace.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by Miah View Post
    Creating Art and Poetry for the Grammar Stage will be used over more than one set of levels, as well, correct?

ETA: I know math, Music, and Latin will be carrying over to 7-8, while science will not. It sounds like spelling and writing will not. Will they be moving on to Geography I or staying with States and Capitals? It sounds like they will be done with States and Capitals after 5-6, but not sure. That leaves Grammar and Greek Myths.

Would it ever be possible to include a sample of the last week of the Curriculum Manuals? Some of them begin deceptively easy, like Traditional Spelling I, but then progress rapidly.
    I was trying to remember this as well.

I think Latin, EGR I, Christian Studies I and Greek Myths will carry over to 7/8. (The equivalent to the MP 3/ MP 4 progression.)

Leave a comment:

• Miah
    replied

Creating Art and Poetry for the Grammar Stage will be used over more than one set of levels, as well, correct?

ETA: I know math, Music, and Latin will be carrying over to 7-8, while science will not. It sounds like spelling and writing will not. Will they be moving on to Geography I or staying with States and Capitals? It sounds like they will be done with States and Capitals after 5-6, but not sure. That leaves Grammar and Greek Myths.

Would it ever be possible to include a sample of the last week of the Curriculum Manuals? Some of them begin deceptively easy, like Traditional Spelling I, but then progress rapidly.
    Last edited by Miah; 12-07-2018, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    In the K-2 and previous SC levels, we have been listening to whole pieces.

In Music Appreciation, the course covers much more. Scroll to page 5 for a sample lesson. We have divided this course into "basic" (5&6) and "advanced" (7&8). For the basic studies, we will cover the name of the piece, the composer, I. Listen, and II. A Little History.

In 7&8, we will listen to hand-picked portions available only on the CD to illustrate III. Musical Concept. We will also cover IV. About the Piece, V. Music History, VI. Facts to Remember, and VII. Listen Again with a brief review from 5&6. Again the intent is a multum non multa approach, so that students will truly know these selections - and possibly a little music theory - when we finish. As always, we encourage students age 9 and up to begin singing chorally or learn to play an instrument for the greatest benefit of music for the mind. This course serves as a deeper study than we have attempted in the past, but the familiarity from previous levels will assist our students.

I hope that helps to clarify along with Michael's good clarifications!
    The "lights" are finally on! I looked at the sample page, and with your description of what is being worked on in each level, I get it!

(I've had a terrible ear infection I can't seem to get to go away (new dose of meds started today), so my head is a little in the clouds, trying to absorb all this has had my head spinning)

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

And while we have been chatting, Allie added the free playlist to our master list.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    I just want to be clear on this one. The actual music is necessary (this is a book I have not even remotely "looked" at" because it is not in the regular MP cores anywhere) to do the course as scheduled in SC5/6. The music could potentially be found elsewhere (you tube, amazon music, iTunes, etc.), so the CD may not be necessary for some families?

Also curious, trying to understand, etc, how is this course different from say, the K-2 enrichment where no CD is provided because of, understandably copyright issues?

(As an aside, I used to the Cultural Arts coordinator and one of the activities our community provided was a community band. We had to pay, through the nose (more money than any of our "concerts" provided for copyright) for us to be able to provide the concerts for the musicians to pay, so I "get it". I just don't understand this course, compared to the K-2 music selections, etc)
    In the K-2 and previous SC levels, we have been listening to whole pieces.

In Music Appreciation, the course covers much more. Scroll to page 5 for a sample lesson. We have divided this course into "basic" (5&6) and "advanced" (7&8). For the basic studies, we will cover the name of the piece, the composer, I. Listen, and II. A Little History.

In 7&8, we will listen to hand-picked portions available only on the CD to illustrate III. Musical Concept. We will also cover IV. About the Piece, V. Music History, VI. Facts to Remember, and VII. Listen Again with a brief review from 5&6. Again the intent is a multum non multa approach, so that students will truly know these selections - and possibly a little music theory - when we finish. As always, we encourage students age 9 and up to begin singing chorally or learn to play an instrument for the greatest benefit of music for the mind. This course serves as a deeper study than we have attempted in the past, but the familiarity from previous levels will assist our students.

I hope that helps to clarify along with Michael's good clarifications!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

I just want to be clear on this one. The actual music is necessary (this is a book I have not even remotely "looked" at" because it is not in the regular MP cores anywhere) to do the course as scheduled in SC5/6. The music could potentially be found elsewhere (you tube, amazon music, iTunes, etc.), so the CD may not be necessary for some families?

Also curious, trying to understand, etc, how is this course different from say, the K-2 enrichment where no CD is provided because of, understandably copyright issues?

(As an aside, I used to the Cultural Arts coordinator and one of the activities our community provided was a community band. We had to pay, through the nose (more money than any of our "concerts" provided for copyright) for us to be able to provide the concerts for the musicians to pay, so I "get it". I just don't understand this course, compared to the K-2 music selections, etc)
    To clarify, the Music Appreciation CD only includes the musical examples. Due to copyright laws and the associated costs, we cannot print a CD with the full pieces. The CD will not be used at all in Levels 5 & 6 (though one could add it independently) and will be used in SC 7 & 8.

Does that help?

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Music - You are right. In SC 7&8, we study more deeply and with special attention to music theory (quadrivium!), but in SC 5&6 you will still need to listen to the selections. I'm checking to see if we can offer a playlist or if we need to include the CD. We'll try to let you know soon on that question.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Also, the music CD. I thought I remember you mentioning that we go "deeper" in 7/8 and that's when it will come into play (literally and figuratively!). So, if trying to spend our $$ wisely, would NOT getting it in 5/6 work and waiting until 7/8?
    Yes, the playlist will be available for free under the Core heading, just as we offer in other levels. This, too, was designed to save $$ on SC 5&6.

In 7 & 8, we will be studying particular music theory forms and patterns from the partial selections available only on the CD, so you will need the CD at that time.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by once again View Post
    I noticed that on the SC5 and 6 one year plan, the student is assigned to read the first three chapters of Farmer Boy silently in one day. If the student is unable to read that much in a reasonable amount of time, should the student be using the 2 year plan instead?

Laura

This is steep, isn't it?! As you can imagine, the One-Year will be primarily for our older students who are more capable, have longer attention spans, and who need to move much faster to "catch up" to their personal goals, yet whose reading and writing levels are still significantly lower than peers'. On the other end would be younger students who are making great strides yet not quite ready for the full "meat" and demands of MP Third.

Also, keep in mind that students are reading simply to gain a first-time familiarity before we dive in more deeply. We do not expect full comprehension on this first pass through. In part we are training the habit -- new for some -- of reading silently. This is an easy way to do that.

Note that although we have students read silently before discussing the literature (whether in Two-Year or One-Year), we include a Teacher Note in the front of the guide with explanation:
    1. Students pre-read silently before we begin formally studying each lesson.
    2. The next day you will teach the official "pre-reading" vocabulary and reading notes.
    3. Then the student(s) reread the selection out loud.

The first time through is simply for exposure and enjoyment. If the student cannot read silently, parents can read to the student this first time through.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 12-07-2018, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

I had a question about that as well. I'm curious, if it is scheduled in the CM (I was wondering if it was not scheduled in 5/6, but maybe in 7/8 as with the SC3/SC4 Prima progression? why it is not "included" in the core, as in MP3, etc? I think people might miss that it is a key if it is only listed as a "suggestion"?

Also, the music CD. I thought I remember you mentioning that we go "deeper" in 7/8 and that's when it will come into play (literally and figuratively!). So, if trying to spend our $$ wisely, would NOT getting it in 5/6 work and waiting until 7/8?

Latin - We do recommend the DVD, but in trying to keep costs down we placed the DVD under "Recommended Supplements" with the less expensive CD in the core. As long as you have correct pronunciation and a means of reviewing aurally, the CD can suffice. This will be a personal preference. When I taught LC, MP did not yet have DVDs; even so, some might find these non-negotiable for their own teaching. Your call there. (And no, this is not the same as the SC 3 oral Prima intro to SC 4 teaching Prima. In SC 5&6, we begin teaching LC immediately.)

Music - You are right. In SC 7&8, we study more deeply and with special attention to music theory (quadrivium!), but in SC 5&6 you will still need to listen to the selections. I'm checking to see if we offer a playlist. We'll try to let you know soon on that question.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• once again
    replied

I noticed that on the SC5 and 6 one year plan, the student is assigned to read the first three chapters of Farmer Boy silently in one day. If the student is unable to read that much in a reasonable amount of time, should the student be using the 2 year plan instead?

Laura

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

We do schedule the pronunciation CD and instructional DVDs for students throughout the lesson plans in both One-Year and Two-Year.

We encourage parents to watch or listen to each lesson ahead of teaching or, at the very least, alongside their students. This will ensure your own proper pronunciation, so our SC students do not learn incorrectly and then need to um-learn/re-learn!
    I had a question about that as well. I'm curious, if it is scheduled in the CM (I was wondering if it was not scheduled in 5/6, but maybe in 7/8 as with the SC3/SC4 Prima progression? why it is not "included" in the core, as in MP3, etc? I think people might miss that it is a key if it is only listed as a "suggestion"?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    You're welcome, but all credit goes to our amazing Online Content Manager, Allie.
    Yes, Allie created our SC 5&6 math customization options too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X