Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 5 & 6 is Here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    The extra “stuff” that comes in the SC guides makes them all worth it for us here!

    However, keep in mind that at MP3, most children should not be writing independently. It is still guided writing. (The question is discussed orally, a consise sentence is then spoken aloud, and then the “teacher” writes the child’s answer on the board (or somewhere) for the child to copy. ). Tanya indicated at Sodalitas 2017, that this continues until part way through the 4th grade. Tanya said “accept a 3rd grade answer, do not try to get them to the teacher’s guide answer. That is there for you to make sure child is on track!
    Thanks for the reminder about the extra stuff. I do like it in SC C and 1.

    We do model writing. She values her independence so I do try to give her some where it’s appropriate. The act of putting the pencil to paper is the struggle. For some reason it is overwhelming (?) and is a trigger. Today she had to write her rough draft in ATFF. She dictated to me 2/3 of the story and she wrote three sentences. We had no meltdowns (yay!), she completed something new and did well.
    Heidi

    2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

    Comment


      #17
      Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Arithmetic -
      Yes, good point! We can add this customize option for the upper arithmetic levels as in other levels. Michael's point remains that we cannot switch between MP/SC at this time, but for arithmetic levels, we can customize up or down.

      As in the past, the SC plans for them will not yet be available for those arithmetic levels, but you will be able to customize and teach as written.

      Manuals -
      And yes, there is a difference in the two manuals. You may remember this from our 5&6 Sticky:

      The Two-Year Manual will include extra practice, review games, and "delve deeply" items that will not be possible to include at the accelerated pace. This could make it difficult for a user to determine which to include or omit when accelerating. The One-Year Manual streamlines rapidly and removes those extra items to accelerate in a manner closer to the MP pacing.

      Furthermore, the Two-Year plans provide more breathing room with catch-up and review days. These are all built in to the plans. Everything is spread out as two "volumes" within one large manual. You begin with Level 5 and work through Weeks 1-34. Then Level 6 Weeks 1-34. Largely the extra cost is for the extra size (printing, shipping, etc.), but also for the extra activities included in the Two-Year Manual as mentioned above.

      For anyone who wants to teach in 18 months, customize in other ways, or simply have the extra teaching games & activities at your fingertips, I recommend the Two-Year Manual.
      Thanks for this explanation, Cheryl.

      Off to change my cart BACK to the two year pace. I want the teaching games/activities.
      Plans for 2019-20

      DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

      [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

      Comment


        #18
        Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

        Aahhh. I want both. I want the one year pace, but with all the fun games. Ha!

        I think I'll go with the one-year pace, but buy the PDF of Latin at the two-year pace. I think four years for LC is a better choice for us.

        The DVD is listed as an optional supplement for Latin, but it's not scheduled (at least not in the sample). When should we watch the DVD?

        We've become Prima drop outs. Maybe we'll start again in January. Will being prima drop outs affect us in SC 5/6? Honestly, we did Prima in SC 3, second semester pretty much as scheduled. We started again from the beginning this year with SC 4, but dropped it after maybe 3 weeks as we focused on math, lit, and spelling.
        Last edited by Colomama; 12-06-2018, 11:32 PM.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

        DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

        We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

        Comment


          #19
          Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

          Question about the SC 5/6 Reviews and Tests:
          Are these materials included in the big 200+ pg Curriculum Guide? And then separately for ease of use? Are they available as a digital download?

          I'm trying to figure out if I need this or not. I have all the other pieces (TMs, Student Guides, etc)
          Plans for 2019-20

          DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
          DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
          DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DS6 - 5 - MP K

          [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

          Comment


            #20
            Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

            Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            Question about the SC 5/6 Reviews and Tests:
            Are these materials included in the big 200+ pg Curriculum Guide? And then separately for ease of use? Are they available as a digital download?

            I'm trying to figure out if I need this or not. I have all the other pieces (TMs, Student Guides, etc)
            The Reviews & Tests are completely separate from the CM in order to keep the size of both books manageable. The physical copy comes free with either CM in either SC 5 & 6 package and includes a complimentary download of the blank quizzes and tests. (The key, of course, is only in the physical book.)

            HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

            Comment


              #21
              Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

              Originally posted by Colomama View Post
              Aahhh. I want both. I want the one year pace, but with all the fun games. Ha!

              I think I'll go with the one-year pace, but buy the PDF of Latin at the two-year pace. I think four years for LC is a better choice for us.

              The DVD is listed as an optional supplement for Latin, but it's not scheduled (at least not in the sample). When should we watch the DVD?

              We've become Prima drop outs. Maybe we'll start again in January. Will being prima drop outs affect us in SC 5/6? Honestly, we did Prima in SC 3, second semester pretty much as scheduled. We started again from the beginning this year with SC 4, but dropped it after maybe 3 weeks as we focused on math, lit, and spelling.
              We are recommending the Two-Year pace, just so you know, for most of our students and especially for those with intellectual/cognitive challenges. (So if you start the One-Year and feel it is progressing too quickly, you'll know why!)

              Missing Prima will not be a disadvantage especially with the Two-Year (1/2 Latina Christiana) plans. You might consider opening the day with Latin this time. Then everything else will seem easy!
              Last edited by cherylswope; 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM.

              Comment


                #22
                Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The Reviews & Tests are completely separate from the CM in order to keep the size of both books manageable. The physical copy comes free with either CM in either SC 5 & 6 package and includes a complimentary download of the blank quizzes and tests. (The key, of course, is only in the physical book.)

                HTH!
                I'm still having my coffee --- so forgive me if I seem a little dense this morning.

                I have the 2 year SC 5/6 plans in my cart. When I push that order through, the Reviews and Tests will be added on over on your end?
                Plans for 2019-20

                DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

                [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

                Comment


                  #23
                  Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

                  Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                  This is very exciting! Is it possible to customize the spelling and math to cross over to MP levels? (Math 4 or 5, for example).
                  You can now Customize math via the webpage: downward to R&S 2 or upward to R&S 4, 5, or 6!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

                    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                    I have the 2 year SC 5/6 plans in my cart. When I push that order through, the Reviews and Tests will be added on over on your end?
                    No, we're still finalizing all the settings on our website, though we plan to have these two products bundled by the end of the business day. If you'd like to order sooner than that, you'll need to call or email. Sorry for the inconvenience!

                    ETA: We finished earlier than expected. If you remove the CM in your cart and add this one, you should be good to go.
                    Last edited by Michael; 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM.
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      No, we're still finalizing all the settings on our website, though we plan to have these two products bundled by the end of the business day. If you'd like to order sooner than that, you'll need to call or email. Sorry for the inconvenience!

                      ETA: We finished earlier than expected. If you remove the CM in your cart and add this one, you should be good to go.
                      Done! Thank you, Michael. <3
                      Plans for 2019-20

                      DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DS6 - 5 - MP K

                      [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Re: SC 5 &amp; 6 is Here!

                        Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                        Done! Thank you, Michael. <3
                        You're welcome, but all credit goes to our amazing Online Content Manager, Allie.
                        Michael
                        Memoria Press

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Re: SC 5 &amp; 6 is Here!

                          Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                          The DVD is listed as an optional supplement for Latin, but it's not scheduled (at least not in the sample). When should we watch the DVD?
                          We do schedule the pronunciation CD and instructional DVDs for students throughout the lesson plans in both One-Year and Two-Year.

                          We encourage parents to watch or listen to each lesson ahead of teaching or, at the very least, alongside their students. This will ensure your own proper pronunciation, so our SC students do not learn incorrectly and then need to um-learn/re-learn!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Re: SC 5 &amp; 6 is Here!

                            Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            You're welcome, but all credit goes to our amazing Online Content Manager, Allie.
                            Yes, Allie created our SC 5&6 math customization options too!

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Re: SC 5 &amp; 6 is Here!

                              Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                              We do schedule the pronunciation CD and instructional DVDs for students throughout the lesson plans in both One-Year and Two-Year.

                              We encourage parents to watch or listen to each lesson ahead of teaching or, at the very least, alongside their students. This will ensure your own proper pronunciation, so our SC students do not learn incorrectly and then need to um-learn/re-learn!
                              I had a question about that as well. I'm curious, if it is scheduled in the CM (I was wondering if it was not scheduled in 5/6, but maybe in 7/8 as with the SC3/SC4 Prima progression? why it is not "included" in the core, as in MP3, etc? I think people might miss that it is a key if it is only listed as a "suggestion"?

                              Also, the music CD. I thought I remember you mentioning that we go "deeper" in 7/8 and that's when it will come into play (literally and figuratively!). So, if trying to spend our $$ wisely, would NOT getting it in 5/6 work and waiting until 7/8?
                              Christine

                              (2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                              Previous Years
                              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Re: SC 5 &amp; 6 is Here!

                                I noticed that on the SC5 and 6 one year plan, the student is assigned to read the first three chapters of Farmer Boy silently in one day. If the student is unable to read that much in a reasonable amount of time, should the student be using the 2 year plan instead?


                                Laura

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X