Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Where we're at (9th grader, testing, etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where we're at (9th grader, testing, etc)

I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start!

On the testing front, the school psychologist called today and asked a few questions to help determine the assessments she’s leaning towards. She suspects the language issues may be due to memory retrieval but wants to leave things open for a speech pathologist screening just in case. She told me to go ahead and sign consent for “other needed assessments” so they have more flexibility in following the trail. What do you guys think?? I don't want to inadvertently allow anything/everything....

She has the consent forms ready for us and my husband will pick those up today. Hopefully things keep moving well!

As for other struggles he's having: I set up Quizlet sets for each declension, conjugation, adjective and pronoun forms, etc from First Form through where he currently is in Third Form. He's studying two declension sets and two conjugation sets each day. This week, he is starring anything he doesn’t know so that I can see exactly where he's at knowledge-wise.

I’m just not sure how to proceed with his MPOA quizzes for Third Form. He is four quizzes behind for the first quarter and they close on the 29th. I don’t see him being ready to do well on them that quickly. Plus, each week adds a new quiz that he may not do well on due to the cumulative nature of Latin. So, it keeps snowballing.

Would you have him take the quizzes for the sake of keeping up with them, but ignore the grades and hope for a large enough improvement later on? Or should I switch him to audit status for the course so the grades don’t show up on his transcript? I’m really not sure what to do.

I’m also stumped on Intro to Physics (Novare) which he is taking at our co-op. He eventually gets the material but not in time for the weekly quizzes. I didn’t have him take the quizzes over the fall semester and we then did a cumulative review last week to prepare for the mid-term. There were some problems but I think he’s got it now. The test is here at home tomorrow.

His physics teacher (a good friend of ours) suggested that I sit with him for the physics quizzes/tests just so I can say “stop and think before you go down that rabbit hole” or “are you sure that’s the word you mean to say”. Or maybe I should give them orally?

I’m really not sure what is best and the fact that these grades will appear on his record has me more concerned simply because I want to ensure he has options later on. If he doesn’t choose to go to college, that is perfectly fine with me; but I want to be sure I do my part to keep it as an option should he decide he wants to do so.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Hi Jen,

Happy new year to you as well! I don’t have a child that age so take my ideas with a grain of salt.

For the testing, that’s a standard statement in my experience. Is there room to write “other assessments as needed and with verbal permission from parent?” It would allow the psychiatrist not to have to fill out the form and obtain signatures for any additional testing but still give you a heads up.

For Third Form, I think auditing it makes sense. Complete the assignments and quizzes to the best of his ability knowing he will need to repeat the course in some manner before moving on. It could appear as a non-credit course on his Transcript. What are the cons of auditing for you?

For the Physics test, taking the test orally could be considered an accommodation. You aren’t influencing the outcome of the test but providing the means for him to complete it. Redirecting him or asking about answers or word choice would be more assistance. Does he need both?

Some high schools have special needs classes for the core coursework. The transcript notes the “level” of class, similar to AP classes. It’s something to think about for the transcript. I don’t know that it will limit his options. There are colleges that have programs to assist special needs students excel in their coursework, if he chooses to go that route.
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Comment

Hi Jen! I think the consent form is pretty generic, but know that you can withdraw from the process at any point, even after signing the consent form.

Catherine

2018-19
      DS15, 9th
      DS13, 6th
      DS11, 5th
      DD11, 5th
      DS6, K
      DD3
      DS 10 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
      2 using First Form series in school

Comment

With auditing Latin, he would lose any credit he otherwise would have had from the class. If he ends up doing well, I’d like him to be able to reap the benefits of that transcript-wise. But if he doesn’t...

He struggled on his pre-algebra midterm and the grade was worrisome but it ended up not hurting his overall grade much. His teacher said it’s obvious that he’s working hard, he’s asking for further explanation on things he struggles with in the class, and is trying to do well. That was really encouraging to hear from someone other than myself, lol!

He’s taking the physics exam right now without help other than having to reference a couple of formulas (he worked the others from memory). Here’s hoping!
        Jennifer

2018-2019
        DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
        DS-12 (6M)
        DS-10 (SC3)
        DD-8 (MP2)
        DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

While Heidi was giving you excellent information, I asked Mr. Piland, a fellow Missourian, about such a situation. He suggested auditing if the student simply cannot keep up with strong scores on quizzes. He just cautioned that the student try to keep up with knowledge acquisition to remain engaged in the live classes.

I do wonder if your hard-working son could receive credit for Latin through your homeschool rather than through MPOA, if you administer those quizzes at a different pace. Just a thought.

And, like Heidi, I would suggest writing in your preferred wording onto the contract before signing.

Comment

I think auditing sounds like a good option if you feel like he can keep up with participation in class. I could see it being easy to tune out if he is too far behind. I don’t think it is going to get any easier. Third form is notoriously hard for the relentless pace of the class. How did he do in second form? Might Mr. Piland allow him to switch to second form at the semester break and get an “official” grade for the second semester with a little less stress? It isn’t a bad place to be at the end of freshman year. Personally, my progress in third form is hindered by my shaky foundation in third and fourth conjugations and a few other topics like passive voice from second form. If you stick with third form, he doesn’t have to finish the book to get a credit if he has put in sufficient hours. Hope this helps a bit...discard otherwise.
            Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
            DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
            DS 10 - 5M
            DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

I’m currently sitting in the waiting room at the local high school while A takes the KTEA-3 achievement test (I think they’re doing the ASB Composite version). The results of this will determine whether they pursue further testing. He’s calm as can be — I’m nervous as can be!
              Jennifer

2018-2019
              DS-12 (6M)
              DS-10 (SC3)
              DD-8 (MP2)
              DD-6 (SC2)

Comment

Hope all went well today! :-)
                Catherine

2018-19
                DS15, 9th
                DS13, 6th
                DS11, 5th
                DD11, 5th
                DS6, K
                DD3
                DS 10 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP