Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Black and White thinking - help with vocabulary!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and White thinking - help with vocabulary!

I need a little help, helping my black and white thinker. Errr, really Mom just needs help with patience, probably! Today, the example is trying to explain "petticoat". I explained it as a poofy slip you wear under your dress. First, I had to explain "slip". Then, I showed her a picture of a petticoat and she said - that just looks like a skirt I wear, how is that a "puffy" skirt? "This skirt I am wearing (a Children's place uniform dress) poofs out a little. Also, most of my Mass dresses poof out..."(I finally get that she can not distinguish between a skirt and a slip......). I say "sometimes you have petticoats sewn into your dresses. The dress you are wearing does not have a petticoat. She finally said "oooooh!!!" This went on for at least 10 min.......

I remember a similar experience trying to explain "gust". Literally, I took her outside and God helped. A "gust" of wind came through and she could feel it! That was 20 mins of me trying to explain it!

We have trouble when she doesn't get something immediately. She starts to get angry, very quickly. It raises my blood and I get angry back. It is not the way to help her, I know!

Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Yes, this is tough!

I would recommend NOT trying to teach the entire definition, as this will be too wordy for her to process. Instead, maybe you can try one- or two-word descriptions using words she knows. "Gust" = "strong wind".
    "Petticoat" = "fancy underwear." This might be plenty for now. You could keep it less frustrating by going through the vocab ahead of time and writing these mini-definitions in margins to cue yourself when the time comes. If you can find a picture, as with a petticoat, this will be very helpful to accompany your mini-definition. Plan to have this ready. All of this falls under the heading of "an ounce of prevention...."

Comment

Btw, I do understand. It seems that just at the moment they need for us to talk less, we talk more!

Comment

We struggle with this too (not just in school settings.) It is frustrating for everyone! Especially if more than one person jumps into to try to explain it. One of my solutions is to table it for a bit. Usually some time for him to get to think about it and for me to think of another way to explain it or just for us to calm back down. I agree with Cheryl that pictures are helpful when they are available. Would a visual dictionary be helpful?

I’m looking forward to hearing other people’s ideas.
        Heidi

2018-19
        dd- 3m
        ds- SC 1
        dd- SC B

Comment

Working...
        X