Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Starting 5/6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting 5/6

The mailman delivered the 5/6 curriculum today! Woohoo! I’ve been looking it over and thinking through how to transition from MP 3 to SC 5/6. Honestly, it feels as if we’ve gone a whole semester without any progress. I know it’s not true because I can see where E has completed work but sometimes it just feels like that.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I dialed school back quite a bit to find the point where E isn’t being overwhelmed. It looks like she is at about week 20 for Latin, math and literature. She’s at about week 10 for classics studies, Christian studies, composition, grammar and geography. We haven’t done any music appreciation or art, as it isn’t scheduled in MP 3. For science, I am planning to continue with Mammals when God’s Protected World is scheduled.

My goal right now is to add joy and beauty into our day while continuing to move forward. I see where she is capable but shuts down so quickly.

Janury is is already a little bit of a crazy month with her brother’s OT appts, her oral surgery and a grandparent visit.
    Does it make sense to try to spend some time catching up on the other subjects? Or should I continue jumping around in the curriculum manual and let it even out later?

Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

My summer babies...

(2009) I'll love to hear what advice others tell you. I feel like my oldest is just stuck and I'm not sure how to get her further. At the beginning of last fall, I decided to let her continue on in 3M, but aim for going as far as we can in 4M when she gets there (as she is "fourth grade technically" now). But I'm not even sure she is there yet. What I have opted to do is get all the individual subject lesson plans in one binder, since we were all over the place in weeks of different subjects. She just finished Greek Myths Test 2 (and it wasn't pretty), Exploring Arithmetic lesson 114, Christian Studies 1 lesson 8, Latina Christiana lesson 12. I've given up on Mammals, and I'm letting her pursue that on her own (outside of "school time"). We have tabled Grammar Recitation and IEW, for now, to try to catch up with other things. We had started Fables, but it is too hard for us both so I'm trying to get out of quicksand before pursuing further grammar and writing in general. (I did go back and buy Intro to Composition, thinking that a softer approach might help us.) She is on chapter 8 of Paddington in the work. We gave up on Farmer Boy and Charlotte's Web took the better part of six months. She loves to read and does so well and vivaciously, but ask for any comprehension and the sky is falling. She is still working through New American Cursive 3 and Copybook Cursive 1. I'm so tired of not moving forward, but we aren't currently mastering anything quickly. She is close to completing Adventures in Phonics Level C (alternate). She is on the second section of States & Capitals...

(2011) Add to that sister working on bits of 2nd and SC3 (I think). She just started NAC 2 and Copybook Cursive 1, Lesson 4 of Prima Latina, Lesson 5 of Traditional Spelling 1. She is still working on Unit 1 (of 5) for Working Arithmetic. She also just started a few weeks ago into Adventures in Phonics Level B (alternate). We have SC Writing 2 to start, but I wanted her to have a little more time in math first because she needs it. She never finished FSR, but has suddenly made a leap and CAN read (and I was starting to doubt that would ever happen).

I had both girls eager to start into Introduction to Astronomy, but we got about two lessons in before I decided we didn't have enough time in the day. I also am reading aloud for US History. Writing this all out is starting to feel depressing. Ha. Ugh.

I think I am planning to continue along with our individual lesson plans which are a combination of 3M and 4M courses for my AppleBlossom (9.5), but I'm sorely tempted to look into SC 5/6 and just start over to try a different speed and approach. My middle daughter is my special learner, my oldest is stubborn, but soon I think they may be on the same levels if not switched in acceleration.
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4
    DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre
    DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

VAMom, how is she doing in Latin, math, and literature? If she needs to review for mastery in all of these areas, you could back up to Week 10 in everything and move forward at a cohesive pace in SC 5/6 by reviewing orally the content in Latin, math, and literature. If she needed more, you could use extra practice sheets, blacklines, or quizzes. You will find extra games in the plans, such as in Latin vocabulary & translation, so the review will not seem tedious.

This would be the easiest approach moving forward and, because of your busy January, might ensure the most retention of material.

If, however, she is zooming forward with good understanding in any of those three areas, such as arithmetic, you might need to keep a marker for Week 20 in your planner and press forward in that subject.

Does that make sense?

Comment

CherryBlossomMJ, yes, too many moving parts seem to be hindering progress. I fall prey to adding "just one more good thing" to our days too. This is why I love the three-fold motto on the new MP webpage: Classical. Christian. Complete. It really is complete!

January is a good time to reassess. Would your two older children work well together? The competition might be good for your oldest. If so, a "Reset" as you describe might be a good plan.

I think I have mentioned here that a longtime homeschooling friend, now with three college grads, combined her older and less motivated daughter with her younger eager learner. They combined from about third-grade work well into high school. This motivated the older not to allow the younger to overtake her progress. It made teaching infinitely more manageable for my friend, so she was reading only one set of literature and teaching from only one set of plans at a time. This also gave her time to teach the next child whose academics would have been otherwise more neglected.

Whatever you decide it does sound like some regrouping is in order. But you already knew that.

Let us know if you need a sounding board to help figure out next steps to streamlining, so good teaching and learning can occur.

Comment

CherryBlossomMJ,

Your post struck a chord with me! I sympathize with the frustration of feeling like there’s no progress. I like the idea of the binder with individual lesson plans. I may go that route if we don’t catch up. I will be praying for you as you try to regroup.

I think writing the post helped me become more clear about our path forward. We are going to review Latin, math flash cards/speed drills and finish Farmer Boy while catching up on the other subjects for this month. Cheryl, she does have good retention and understanding but there are areas, such as writing neatly or in complete sentences, that could use some revisiting. My hope is to build some confidence and instill so joy back into the school day. In February Im planning move forward in all subjects and complete full days of the lesson plans.

We didn’t get to everything today but considering the disruptions and new things it went well. She was adamant she didn’t like music appreciation. Once I started reading the history of the piece, she was hooked. She asked me to play more! She wanted to learn more! I’m cautiously hopeful for what is to come.
          Heidi

2018-19
          dd- 3m
          ds- SC 1
          dd- SC B

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

Whatever you decide it does sound like some regrouping is in order. But you already knew that.

Let us know if you need a sounding board to help figure out next steps to streamlining, so good teaching and learning can occur.
            I need a sounding board desperately. I was trying to write an email to my sister (she uses some Memoria Press with Seton full curriculum) and found that I'm starting to ramble. I'm inputting my grades into Homelife Academy and questioning on whether I should be calling the Princess 3rd grade next year or not. In this past school year, I have verbally called the Princess 2nd grade. She is seven and will turn 8-years-old in August 2019.

As of this week:
            Prima Latina, Lesson 4
            New American Cursive 2, Lesson 17
            Adventures in Phonics Level B, pg. 68
            Literature: Little Bear, Little Bear's Visit, Wagon Wheels, starting Caps for Sale
            Traditional Spelling 1, Lesson 4
            Simply Classical Writing 2, Lesson 1
            Seton Religion 1
            Working Arithmetic 2, Unit 1, Lesson 23
            Notgrass Our Star-Spangled Story, Lesson 4
            Bookshark Level 3 (read alouds)
            The Good and the Beautiful Language Arts Level K
            Practice Monkeys Violin, Level 2
            Online: PictaDicta and miscellaneous
            Practice Monkeys Violin Level 2

To finish our original "2nd grade" plans for her:
            Finish Adventures in Phonics 130 pages?
            Literature: Caps for Sale, Blueberries for Sal, Prairie School, Billy & Blaze, Stone Soup, The Story about Ping, Keep the Lights Burning Abbie
            Rod & Staff Math Grade 2, Units 1-3
            Simply Classical Writing Book 2
            New American Cursive 2
            Prima Latina

That would be completing most of Simply Classical Level 3 (ages 7-9 average), I believe. I have individual lesson plans, not the Level 3 guide. We had Traditional Spelling 1 as a review product which she was doing fine with, so I did not step back to SC Spelling 2 as programmed. I was thinking about continuing on with SC Level 4 (ages 8-10 average) s written to pick up with Math Grade 2, Units 4-5, Traditional Spelling 1, Prima Latina, new Mammals, new Greek Myths picture books, alternate New American Cursive 2, Literature: Animal Folk Tales, The Courage of Sarah Noble, and Little House in the Big Woods.

Reading about all the excitement with SC Level 5/6, I wish this was available a year or so ago. I guess that takes it from options of 3rd Grade being Accelerated, Moderated, and now Simply paced.

About here is where I can pick up with "AppleBlossom". I have been calling her 4th Grade this year. Per the "3rd Grade" lesson plans, she has not finished. She is nine and will turn ten at the end of July 2019. We started 3M a loooong time ago.

As of this week:
            Christian Studies 1, Lesson 8 (-14)
            Rod & Staff Arithmetic 3, Lesson 120 (-170) [In the fall she did 70-120]
            States & Capitals, Delaware
            IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating: Damocles & the King
            Engish Grammar Recitation
            TGTB 3
            She's completed Farmer Boy and Charlotte's Web, but still needs to go through Mr. Popper's Penguins
            New American Cursive 3
            Latina Christiana, Lesson XII (-XIV) [in the fall she did 7-12]
            Greek Myths, Lesson 12 (-13)
            Mammals
            Notgrass Our Star-Spangled Story, Lesson 4
            Bookshark Level 3 (read alouds)
            Online: PictaDicta, GrammarPlanet.com
            Practice Monkeys Violin Level 4

Differences to the SC 5/6 add in Music Appreciation, Creating Art, Traditional Spelling 2 and a Rod & Staff science. I do have the Music. Memoria Press 4th Grade finishes all things started in 3rd except does Astronomy for science, Arithmetic 4 and Literature: The Blue Fairy Book and The Cricket in Times Square.

I do not own Creating Art or Traditional Spelling 2.

I plan to put her fully into starting over in Saxon 5/4 when she finishes with Arithmetic 3.

Memoria Press 5th Grade changes things up drastically, I doubt we will be ready for it this fall, even if I call her a Fifth Grader. (Again, I wrote this out to my sister.) It starts First Form Latin, Famous Men of Rome, Christian Studies 2, Geography 1, US Review, The Book of Insects, Classical Composition 2, Copybook Cursive 3, Lassie, Heidi, and Narnia. I do not own any of that yet (except of course the actual literature novels).

Overall, I am just so unhappy with our curriculum progress since that second year with Veritas Press Diploma messed everything up. We are now with HLA and can make our own choices. When I kept AppleBlossom in third for a second year. (I retroactively created K5, as that was the year she did MP1 and Seton 1st Grade.) I like the concepts we are trying to study with the things I have, but nothing is getting finished. I feel like nothing is being learned. In all honesty, I'm shocked the Princess is finally reading.
            Last edited by CherryBlossomMJ; 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot to fix something and add violin

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
            DD Summer 2011 · SC4
            DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
            DD Summer 2017 · Pre
            DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
            CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Yes, this is a long and complex list!

It might help to print the list and highlight only the non-negotiables. Because both of the children are still young, and because you have two additional children who are quite young, these non-negotiables include everything needed for good, strong reading, writing (including spelling), Latin, and math. Leave the others out of the list for the moment.

Then look at your own daily routine. Sometimes it can be helpful to schedule your own responsibilities rather than theirs. With this in mind, you might carve out time when you can (realistically) teach each of the non-negotiables to each of the older children. Play with that schedule or routine on paper until it works on paper.

If there is room for nothing more right now, that is ok. You will all benefit from seeing completed lessons and clear academic progress, even if only in those key areas through the winter.

Do only this for a time. After you find a rhythm, you might choose another area to add, or you might find that you teach the enrichment areas in less time-consuming ways, such as through family read-alouds rather than strictly scheduled formal studies. You can still log the hours, but this approach might alleviate the pressure.

A brief time with the JrK student each morning or twice weekly to start the day might be sufficient, and then the younger children will benefit from overhearing the recitations, literature, and conversations as they play nearby.

Of course there are many possible configurations. The key here seems to be setting a short list of priorities to make good progress in core areas. This will be much more satisfying for everyone this winter. When days are longer, you can add anything "for fun" and log those hours IF the non-negotiable work has been finished for the day.

Does that make sense?

As for "grades," we found it best simply to state the expected grade of the child based on chronological age whenever asked. (The notion of "grade" is a progressive-ed concept anyway, but it is so commonly used that it just saved everyone needless explanations!)

I'll check back on Monday. Maybe others will have suggestions in the meantime.

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

Here is an update of our last two weeks. I was very cheery when I wrote it. Ha. But it is full of long days...

https://creativemadnessmama.com/blog...ary-23rd-2019/
                It is time for a check-in! This is not a Saturday Post, but perhaps, I should start writing those again, too… Hello, friends! Welcome to the Creative Madness Mama blog and I’m glad you …

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
                DD Summer 2011 · SC4
                DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
                DD Summer 2017 · Pre
                DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
                CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Hi Margaret! I read your blog post and wow, I am amazed at all you can work on in a day. I am by no means an expert, but I just wanted to share that at the beginning of our journey with MP, I wanted to add to what I thought looked like “holes” in MP cores. There are so many wonderful and beautiful products out there now, and I would get overwhelmed and then excited about trying something new. And then we would be overwhelmed in our home because I tried to fit it all in. Due to our life circumstances, I finally realized I had to trust the core curriculum and not keep adding. We were stressed out as a family. My oldest daughter did the 3M core while my youngers did K and 1st. It was our best school year yet with my oldest. And now this year, I have my second daughter fully in a SC level due to her learning disabilities and it is shaping up to be a really good year for her. She is making progress, something that wasn’t happening when I ran myself ragged trying to accommodate MP levels for her. I can now focus my energy on making sure I get what is planned in the SC level done with her in each day. If we have extra time as a family after school is done, we hike, swim, go on excursions, listen to audio books, my oldest reads for fun, etc.

Everyone’s life is unique, but I just wanted to suggest that if there is a way to choose a level/core that is not too difficult, get your kids there and then follow a core with them as written, you might have more room to breathe, as well as seeing progress. I know there are tons of moms on here that could help for your kids into a level. Also, when my second DD was a bit out of sync with starting SC4 this year (she had already read Courage of Sarah Noble and Animal Folk Tales when I was modifying MP2 for her last school year), I just subbed Bears on Hemlock Mountain (I wrote an MP style study guide for it which I am happy to share) and the Beatrix Potter books into our SC4 plans, and now we are on track to follow SC plans from here out with her.
                  Emily J

2018-2019 School Year
                  DD (11)-MP 5 core
                  DD (9)-SC 4
                  DD (8)-MP 2 core
                  DS (6)-SC B

*Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task but you will succeed if you persevere: and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to obtain something beautiful is ever lost. ~Helen Keller*

Comment

Working...
                  X