Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

I saw a suggestion on another thread to use Traditional Spelling for a struggling speller. I thought this was a great idea, and I intend to do this with my 10 year old - I strongly suspect dyslexia, but still waiting on evals.

Is there a plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series? and if so, is there any timeline on when book 3 would be ready?

Thanks!
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

Good morning! For now we have only Traditional Spelling One and Two, but this will be sufficient for at least two, possibly three, years of intensive spelling and word study.

In SC we teach Traditional Spelling One in SC 4 as a one-year course. Then we teach Traditional Spelling Two over SC 5&6 as a two-year course (with a one-year accelerated option) for three years of incremental work with phonemes, prefixes, suffixes, word patterns, and more.

Someone else from MP may update on any future levels of Traditional Spelling, but I just wanted to assure you that even if the series ended with One and Two, the existing levels are worth investing your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
      Is there a plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series? and if so, is there any timeline on when book 3 would be ready?
      Good morning Amanda,

We do plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series, but we do not have an ETA for Level III at this time. Because Levels I and II are still new, we are currently focusing on supporting their launch and evaluating feedback so that we can ensure Level III only improves on the series' strengths.
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Cheryl and others ......

Is there a decision tree for going with Traditional Spelling versus Spelling Workout, with regards to older students?
        DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
        DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
        DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
        DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
        http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Good morning Amanda,

We do plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series, but we do not have an ETA for Level III at this time. Because Levels I and II are still new, we are currently focusing on supporting their launch and evaluating feedback so that we can ensure Level III only improves on the series' strengths.
          This is fantastic news! I love that all these lovely things will be ready for Captain (M) when he is needing them but sad they aren't here now so my older kids can benefit from them.
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

So, to be absolutely clear, there are no plans to have TS3 ready for Fall of 19/20? I'm drooling over MP3, but I would totally wait until August of next year if TS3 were in the works.

I'm loving TS2 with DD. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to extend the examples for mixed up letters through all 15 words. I have considered post-it notes for future children, as it takes enough time to keep the consonant teams together and still scramble the words. The missing vowels/vowel teams is much easier to extend.

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
              So, to be absolutely clear, there are no plans to have TS3 ready for Fall of 19/20? I'm drooling over MP3, but I would totally wait until August of next year if TS3 were in the works.
              Unfortunately, there is no way we will be ready to launch TS3 by the start of the 19/20 school year. We would love to release it ASAP, but we want to work methodically and in conjunction with the HLS 3rd grade teachers to make TS3 the best possible next step in the Traditional Spelling series, however long that takes.
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                If I could make one suggestion, it would be to extend the examples for mixed up letters through all 15 words. I have considered post-it notes for future children, as it takes enough time to keep the consonant teams together and still scramble the words. The missing vowels/vowel teams is much easier to extend.
                Hello again,

I completely missed this comment when I responded. Mea culpa!

We can certainly try to add more examples for this activity, though not every lesson has room for more. That TM is packed!
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                  Cheryl and others ......

Is there a decision tree for going with Traditional Spelling versus Spelling Workout, with regards to older students?

Currently this is the plan:

SC 1 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns
                  SC 2 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns, plus Simply Classical Spelling One, Core Skills Spelling 1
                  SC 3 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns, plus Simply Classical Spelling Two, Core Skills Spelling 2
                  SC 4 - Traditional Spelling One
                  SC 5 and 6 - Traditional Spelling Two (Two-Year Standard option spreads the study of TS Two over two years to allow for plenty of practice; One-Year Accelerated pace will be available)
                  SC 7 and 8 - tbd
                  Last edited by cherylswope; 10-22-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X