Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Getting bogged down with long division

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting bogged down with long division

My current 6th grader has struggled with multi digit multiplication and long division since 4th grade. (He might also have some degree of dysgraphia)

We’ve conquered the multiplication issue using an alternative method (the area model) but long division continues to frustrate him. He simply cannot remember all the steps of the algorithm and alternate methods have not worked.

He is very gifted in other areas of math so this is really confusing me! On the Stanford, his mathematical concepts score was around 10th grade equivalency but his computation was around 4th grade. I’ve tried so many different things and am wondering if anyone else might have ideas to teach this particular concept.
    Last edited by Insertcreativenamehere; 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM.
    DS13: Mix of MP 7/8
    DS11: MP 5M
    DD9: MP 2/3 mix
    DS6: Public school 1/2 day kindergarten, plus outside OT, PT and speech

Re: Getting bogged down with long division

My son and daughter, both with low working memory, found long division difficult, so we created a chant:

Divide
    Multiply
    Subtract
    Bring down

We recited this again and again, especially before a long division page. Eventually I (or they) wrote on a card to keep nearby:

D
    M
    S
    B

If it does not add to the confusion, some use Dad/Mother/Sister/Brother, but in our home my children would have remembered only those instead!

Comment

Working...
    X