Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What are the must-haves to get started with SC2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the must-haves to get started with SC2?

Hi,
    I'm new to the board and new to SC. I am wanting to purchase SC2 for my teen son who has Down syndrome but I need to spread out my purchases to fit our budget. Are there items that aren't needed at the start that I could put off buying for a bit and add in later when they are introduced into the curriculum?

Re: What are the must-haves to get started with SC2?

Hi! Welcom! Does this post help?

https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...ents-New-Users

Excerpt from the above post:- note a few things to wait or skip in color

From SC 2:
    Simply Classical Curriculum Manual: Level 2 -- includes 4-day lesson plans with optional 5th-day “Review” or 5th-day “Delve Deeply”
    Moose Moments: Short Vowels
    Moose Moments: Silent E
    Moose Moments: Consonant Diagraphs
    Core Skills Phonics 2 & 3 only order 2 now
    Phonics Flashcards
    Simply Classical Spelling: Step-by-Step Words
    Core Skills Spelling 1 wait on this
    New American Cursive 1
    Cursive Practice Sheets
    Second Grade Art Cards skip
    Simply Classical Writing: Step-by-Step Sentences - CUSTOMIZE this to Bible edition
    Rod & Staff Grade 1 Math Student Book Part 2
    Rod & Staff Grade 1 Math Speed Drills
    Simply Classical Copybook: Book Two, Manuscript (Cursive edition available)
    Animal Tales CD wait or skip, but it is a favorite here!
    At the Farm
    Last edited by howiecram; 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and response, howiecram! I did find that post and made my "to buy" list from it but couldn't tell if everything is used from the get-go. From what you added it looks like I pretty much do need everything to start except Core Skills Phonics 3 and Core Skills Spelling 1. I had planned to pass on the art cards for now and can get the Animal Tales CD from our library. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sjansen View Post
        Thank you for the welcome and response, howiecram! I did find that post and made my "to buy" list from it but couldn't tell if everything is used from the get-go. From what you added it looks like I pretty much do need everything to start except Core Skills Phonics 3 and Core Skills Spelling 1. I had planned to pass on the art cards for now and can get the Animal Tales CD from our library. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for me.
        Make sure you call MP to customize your package! That way you get the best price! Oh I also forgot, At The Farm begins week 6. Yes, this level, pretty much everything is used right away. (You might find getting it all now saves you, though!) - that is why I suggest calling MP. They will quote and you can ask for several quotes to compare! (I asked for at least 5 or 6 when I was ordering! (Thank you Michael!)
        Last edited by howiecram; 09-12-2018, 07:29 AM.
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Howiecram gave you excellent advice!
          Three more tips:
          - "At the Farm" begins Week 6, so this might give you a brief window to find the book elsewhere.
          - If his fine-motor skills are strong and he enjoys writing, you might not need the Cursive Practice Sheets.
          - Consider reserving some of the science & history read-alouds from the library for your son. Even though you will not need them for writing, the information in them is good general knowledge for his education.

Comment

Thank you, howiecam and Cheryl! I will hold off on "At the Farm" for a bit when I purchase the rest. His fine motor skills are strong now but he has only written in manuscript thus far. We'll see how that goes. I've already scanned our home library for the books in the SC2 read-aloud set and have a list of the remaining ones that I can get from our local library. I can't jump in just yet but I'm looking forward to using SC with our son!

Comment

Working...
            X