Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Latin for older ESL child

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin for older ESL child

I’m reading through the simply classical book, and really appreciate why Latin has been studied over the ages. I studied it for 2 years, So I completely agree that it is why I understand grammar, have a good vocabulary, and can learn other languages more easily.

I am wondering if this still applies to someone who is trying to learn the English language. Our daughter grew up speaking Mandarin, and has been in America for a year. I know Latin doesn’t start in SC1. I’m just wondering if someone is struggling to learn English pronunciation and grammar if this is helpful or more confusing.

Re: Latin for older ESL child

MP waits until second grade when MP students (neurotypical) have a firm grasp on English phonics & the English language.

SC waits until SC 3, second semester, to introduce Prima Latina orally. SC begins Prima Latina formally from the beginning in SC 4. This presumes good phonological and phonemic awareness from SC C, SC 1, SC 2.

If your student is still struggling to learn English words and sounds, feel free to wait. When the ESL student has concomitant learning disabilities, we suggest waiting just a little bit longer. When all is firm in reading and language -- e.g., at a solid equivalent to MP Second or MP Third, proceed with Latin for all the reasons you enumerated! The only difference is that we would still recommend beginning with Prima or Latina Christiana, even if by that time the student has reached 5th or 6th grade chronologically.

Does that help?

Comment

Working...
    X