Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC3 Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC3 Science

Ladies,

I do not know why I feel petrified, but i do! I just need to jump in and start this thing! A question about science:

Do you ladies literally do Art Cards on Monday, Music on Tuesday, Science on Wed?

I see that we are learning about Oceans and Sailing. Is someone willing to give me an example of how they might do an Enrichment lesson? I envision something like this:

Read Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean. Look at globe and discuss how much of the Earth is made of water. Discuss differences between salt water and fresh water. Learn about sailing and sailing terms. Perhaps pick up a book from the library? Perhaps watch a short clip on sailing? We actually have a small sailboat, but obviously, we won't be able to pull it out until next summer...

I'm just trying to figure all this out. Maybe this could even be a fun activity for the weekend. Maybe family science time? My husband understands these thing even better.

I am just trying to figure out how to incorporate all these things into the week. I know everyone likely adapts them to fit their needs. Having never done MP before, I have no idea how this is going to go. This year will be heavily trial and error. Thanks!

Erika

2018-2019
    DS (13) - SC3
    DS (10) - SC3/Possible Barton Tutoring as he has done this the past two years now.
    DD (8) - MP1
    DS (5) MPK (a bit nervous as my son has done very little writing and is still trying to learn all of his letters and sounds.)

Re: SC3 Science

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
    Ladies,

I do not know why I feel petrified, but i do! I just need to jump in and start this thing! A question about science:

Do you ladies literally do Art Cards on Monday, Music on Tuesday, Science on Wed?

I see that we are learning about Oceans and Sailing. Is someone willing to give me an example of how they might do an Enrichment lesson? I envision something like this:

Read Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean. Look at globe and discuss how much of the Earth is made of water. Discuss differences between salt water and fresh water. Learn about sailing and sailing terms. Perhaps pick up a book from the library? Perhaps watch a short clip on sailing? We actually have a small sailboat, but obviously, we won't be able to pull it out until next summer...

I'm just trying to figure all this out. Maybe this could even be a fun activity for the weekend. Maybe family science time? My husband understands these thing even better.

I am just trying to figure out how to incorporate all these things into the week. I know everyone likely adapts them to fit their needs. Having never done MP before, I have no idea how this is going to go. This year will be heavily trial and error. Thanks!

Erika

2018-2019
    DS (13) - SC3
    DS (10) - SC3/Possible Barton Tutoring as he has done this the past two years now.
    DD (8) - MP1
    DS (5) MPK (a bit nervous as my son has done very little writing and is still trying to learn all of his letters and sounds.)

This was an area we did not do well. I got all the books and handed them to my daughter. I know she picked up on a lot, actually. It was my understanding that this was a year to teach “research”. MP added th books after release of SC3 because we asked!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Re: SC3 Science

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
      Ladies,

Read Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean. Look at globe and discuss how much of the Earth is made of water. Discuss differences between salt water and fresh water. Learn about sailing and sailing terms.
      Stop there. This is all that we intend. Through our non-fiction studies we want to build vocabulary for reading, increase knowledge, and encourage curiosity into the world around us.

With MP/SC we set some limits on such explorations because we have more business to do, namely coming back to build strong reading, writiting, spelling, and math. If you overextend Enrichment, things will start to unravel because you simply will not have enough time each day.

If any of your children voice interest in wanting to continue, e.g., the science selection or American history read-aloud (which is already quite long some weeks), the advantage of homeschooling is that you can simply make a note of this. You or your husband could take the interested child(ren) to the library to be the family researcher of all things sailing. Enjoy this if it happens, but do not feel obligated to make it happen.

Christine is right. We encourage student research during this level! If a child loves the science read-aloud and topics, you can provide tools for him to explore these areas more fully. We did this for my son. He received science books for birthdays and Christmas until he had a science shelf of experiments and reference books. When we were asked to provide one book per topic, we did. If you read this book with everyone in SC 3 and do a few things as you mentioned, you will be doing much!
      Last edited by cherylswope; 09-04-2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X