Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

First Start Reading E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Start Reading E

Do I have to teach FSR E? I know it was not part of the original series. Clara absolutely detested FSR. It did teach her to read, but it was a huge battle every day to get her to do it. I finally gave up halfway through FSR D and it did not seem to harm her. Today was our first day of real school. I picked up SC3 and pulled out FSR for the first topic of the day planning to get it out of the way so that it would be done and we could move on. OMG! Our day started with screaming, crying, swearing (by Clara, not me), writing in the messiest possible way with the left hand (she is right-handed), ripping the pages of the book, putting holes in the page with the pen, throwing the book across the floor, throwing the pen at her sister, etc. It took well more than an hour to get her to calm down enough to be willing to do any more work. She then, very reluctantly and sulkily, did her cursive writing and Core Skills Phonics. She then saw the FSR book on the floor where she had thrown it, stomped on it, pretended not to know the very simple phonics flashcards I had out to review, and has since refused to do any more schoolwork as long as that "f---ing book" (yes, my child actually said that!) is in her house. I do not want to teach this book. I think it will cause more harm than good. I looked through the book and I am relatively certain that she can already read all of the words in it. She is able to read 4th grade level books, and now she will not even read a really simple book because she is so upset. In the time that Clara did one page of FSR, 5 pages of Phonics worksheets, and 2 pages of cursive, Stella was able to complete all of her school work, so this has been going on now for about 3 hours. I do not want to do this to myself, her, or her sister again. I can't. If she won't do her school work her father has said that she is being sent to public school, so this is really a huge issue here.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Re: First Start Reading E

Do the alternate SC3 phonics/Reading start — it’s in the front of the CM. You’ll do the ALS readers and Core Skills 3 for 8 weeks (or less if she wants/is able to move more quickly). Then she can start More Storytime Treasures.

ETA: Been there with similar responses to school. Praying for you.
    Last edited by jen1134; 08-28-2018, 02:48 PM.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Working...
    X