Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Myself and others coop class is a hit!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself and others coop class is a hit!!

Just a kuddos to SC for the Myself and Others curriculum addition.
    We use Fridays as our enrichment days and go to a co-op. This is our very first year to have a class specifically for kiddos with special needs. Most kiddos in our class have moderate to severe needs including Rhett Syndrome, Prater Willy with Autism and apraxia, down syndrome and nonverbal autism.

We have a 3 hour class (with breaks) and we are using the MO guide as the flagship to our day. The kids LOVE it! They love the cards and the simple lessons. They love the actions that we put with each card and they LOVE the stories. They are ALL attending well, even in a group.
    We introduce the book on Friday and then the following mon-thursday we do our own reinforcement one on one at home. Our son Jesse is really loving it and although he is considered non verbal, he will repeat all the cards and some of the lesson sentences i say. His speech has blossomed in the 3 weeks we have been using this.
    Thank you so so much for this. If anyone is wanting to do a social group or enrichment group with a few other families just to encourage social connections, this would be a fantastic platform!!
    Thanks Cheryl Swope!!
    Happy Schooling!
    Julie Paul

Re: Myself and others coop class is a hit!!

Oh, how fun, Julie! Kudos to YOU for embarking on your dream of a co-op for special needs for your son! What a blessing to those families --

And you are very welcome. We love to hear how Myself & Others is helping children!

Comment

Originally posted by Juliepauldesign@gmail.com View Post
      Just a kuddos to SC for the Myself and Others curriculum addition.
      We use Fridays as our enrichment days and go to a co-op. This is our very first year to have a class specifically for kiddos with special needs. Most kiddos in our class have moderate to severe needs including Rhett Syndrome, Prater Willy with Autism and apraxia, down syndrome and nonverbal autism.

We have a 3 hour class (with breaks) and we are using the MO guide as the flagship to our day. The kids LOVE it! They love the cards and the simple lessons. They love the actions that we put with each card and they LOVE the stories. They are ALL attending well, even in a group.
      We introduce the book on Friday and then the following mon-thursday we do our own reinforcement one on one at home. Our son Jesse is really loving it and although he is considered non verbal, he will repeat all the cards and some of the lesson sentences i say. His speech has blossomed in the 3 weeks we have been using this.
      Thank you so so much for this. If anyone is wanting to do a social group or enrichment group with a few other families just to encourage social connections, this would be a fantastic platform!!
      Thanks Cheryl Swope!!
      Happy Schooling!
      Julie Paul
      This is a really interesting idea. I have not yet purchased this curriculum, but maybe I could get our co-op to try it. Do you do 3 hours of lessons from M&O, or are there other topics? I would only have an hour to teach a class to a group in our co-op.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Yes, I’m interested in hearing more of what you do in those 3 hours. Also, which level(s) are you using?

Comment

Thanks Cheryl! Looking forward to talking more with you and others this year on cottage schools for our guys as well. Have a great week.

JeJe! I teach the Myself and Others during the first hour of our co-op. (We start with midline excercises, prayer, songs, bible verse and calendar and show and tell. Then we do MO(as we call it). It fills the whole hour with time at the end for mental break and restroom.
          Our second hour is music and third hour is art. All is modified for our kids needs and accomodations are made for each child.
          However, the Myself and others is the only hour I do Not have to modify the content myself....because Cheryl already made it teachable to various needs and levels!! Yay!
          I will say also that my son loves the Myself and Others at home too. It is what we do at the end of everyday as our last thing before we pray and finish school. We do it on the floor with pillows. Very laid back and relaxing. Our son sits beside me or on my lap when we read the book at the end and he follows really well now. Two years ago he couldnt attend for more than 3 minutes. Now, Jesse does school for 3 and a half hours every day with 3 breaks.
          I have followed the SC curriculum diligently and even though its been tough at times, the dedication and staying the course has really produced such great growth for him. The myself and others curriculum seems to be really adding to the already rich daily studies for him in a fun way!
          Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else that would help you for the hour at your Co-op.
          Have a great rest of thw week.
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by eachar View Post
            Yes, I’m interested in hearing more of what you do in those 3 hours. Also, which level(s) are you using?
            Hi, I am starting with Level ONE this semester and Level TWO next semester.

I replied above with how we do our first hour.

Here is some more info on the next two hours...we begin each hour with Brain Gym excercises which even our chair bound kids can do with assistance. We end each hour with a snack, water and restoom break and mental break for those that need it.

2nd Hour Music - we sing 3 songs (usually Bible verses put to music.) Instrument exploration and follow the leader with instruments..and then we focus on a peice of music for a few weeks (carnival of the animals, vivaldis 4 seasons, peter and the wolf, the nutcracker, swan lake, etc.)

3rd hour -Art
            We start with a nature walk or time outside for fresh air.

We do a simple craft that focuses on nature (ie, collage of items from nature walk, pasting pics of animals in like habitats, etc) or I use a craft from the SC craft books that goes with the current season or holiday.

We read our art story ...I use the "Katie" series . It is not MP or SC, but i havent seen that they have a program yet for art that is geared for our kids at the younger ages. BUT we do use the MP art cards to go along with the pics Katie finds in each story. This way we see other art that the same artists from the book created.The Katie series has been a big hit too with our group. After reading the story, we do the craft suggested at the end, but modify it to meet the needs of each child.
            They are easy projects to begin with so modification is pretty easy.

Thats it. I hope that was the information than you wanted. I use SC wherever I can at our co-op and use it soley at home.
            Let me know if there arw any others questions you might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliepauldesign@gmail.com View Post
              Hi, I am starting with Level ONE this semester and Level TWO next semester.

I replied above with how we do our first hour.

Here is some more info on the next two hours...we begin each hour with Brain Gym excercises which even our chair bound kids can do with assistance. We end each hour with a snack, water and restoom break and mental break for those that need it.

2nd Hour Music - we sing 3 songs (usually Bible verses put to music.) Instrument exploration and follow the leader with instruments..and then we focus on a peice of music for a few weeks (carnival of the animals, vivaldis 4 seasons, peter and the wolf, the nutcracker, swan lake, etc.)

3rd hour -Art
              We start with a nature walk or time outside for fresh air.

We do a simple craft that focuses on nature (ie, collage of items from nature walk, pasting pics of animals in like habitats, etc) or I use a craft from the SC craft books that goes with the current season or holiday.

We read our art story ...I use the "Katie" series . It is not MP or SC, but i havent seen that they have a program yet for art that is geared for our kids at the younger ages. BUT we do use the MP art cards to go along with the pics Katie finds in each story. This way we see other art that the same artists from the book created.The Katie series has been a big hit too with our group. After reading the story, we do the craft suggested at the end, but modify it to meet the needs of each child.
              They are easy projects to begin with so modification is pretty easy.

Thats it. I hope that was the information than you wanted. I use SC wherever I can at our co-op and use it soley at home.
              Let me know if there arw any others questions you might have.
              This is helpful. I am going to need to talk with our Coop about whether or not I can use this. they have me down to teach science and MP science is not what the coop members wants because they want experiments. I am hoping I can replace science with this.
              JeJe Greer
              Mom to:
              Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
              Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Julie -- so happy for you and for those children! What a gift you are giving them and their parents.

JeJe -- you might consider SC 5&6 science. See the book list from the sticky at the top of the forum. R&S 3 Science has a good overview, plenty of experiments, and strong work in science vobulary to build a general fund of knowledge. With My Nature Journal, you could be all set!

Re co-ops, ... we learned of a Christian special-needs co-op on the east coast that is using the Simply Classical Curriculum for children with Down syndrome. These are exciting developments for our children with special needs!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  Julie -- so happy for you and for those children! What a gift you are giving them and their parents.

JeJe -- you might consider SC 5&6 science. See the book list from the sticky at the top of the forum. R&S 3 Science has a good overview, plenty of experiments, and strong work in science vobulary to build a general fund of knowledge. With My Nature Journal, you could be all set!

Re co-ops, ... we learned of a Christian special-needs co-op on the east coast that is using the Simply Classical Curriculum for children with Down syndrome. These are exciting developments for our children with special needs!
                  Cheryl, THAT IS EXCITING INDEED!!

JEJE, I used R and S science with our older kids when they were in elementary and they really liked it. It has been taught several times at our co-op by others as well. Hope it all goes well!😊

Comment

Working...
                  X