Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help with SC placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eachar
    started a topic Help with SC placement

Help with SC placement

I'm looking at SC 1 or 2 for my adopted daughter from China. She is 10, has cerebral palsy, and was only in orphanage school for about 1-1/2 years. She's been home 1 year. We've used AAR1, and will continue since we have all of it. She seems to meet 100% of the SC1 readiness criteria, but less than 80% on the SC2 readiness screening, so I don't know where to start. She essentially is just getting ready to learn blends and silent e, so the 4th book of FSR is where she is. Cause and effect is tricky for her. "Why" in general is tricky. If the 3-4 step instructions are get dressed, put your clothes in the hamper, go potty, then she is fine. If they are write your name, number 1-10, and draw a picture, that would be questionable.

She can do simple math with objects, but counting to 100 independently is emerging, if it's oral (she can definitely fill in a 100's chart). She sometimes can do simple +1s in math on paper, but not in her head, and not always consistently. We have MathUSee, but wouldn't mind seeing if R&S is a better fit. We're waiting on feedback from the neuropsychologist about how to approach math.

I'm also planning to get Me, Myself & Others because it just seems perfect for her LIMITED life experience and understanding of the world around her.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, is the science enrichment scheduled in the curriculum? I see the read alouds, but didn't see the science in the sample.

• cherylswope
    replied
    Re: Help with SC placement

I never taught from AAR, but feel free to use this as a summer supplement if you already have the components. By using SC 1 Phonics & Reading, you will not need anything else. The readers, lessons, word lists, multi-sensory review, etc. are all built in, so that will streamline things for you and for your student.

As for library books, this will work for the read-aloud sets but will be harder for the Core books. For example, we teach from A Child's Book of Poems every week. A few of the Core books, such as The Creation Story, occur less often, as does This First Thanksgiving Day which is, of course, seasonal. Most of the Core books are taught throughout the year. In the back of your Curriculum Manual you will see a list of the read-aloud books and the weeks they are covered. Those could be ordered in sequence from the library ahead of time if your library offers this option. You could do this successfully with the storybook Read-Alouds and the Science, History, Geography, & World Read-Alouds.

Leave a comment:

• eachar
    replied

Cheryl -

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am curious, if I already have all about reading, which I used with my daughter this spring, saved from my bios, which parts of SC1 would that replace, and which parts would you keep or use as over-teaching? I already have too much curriculum in my house, so I only want to purchase what I need. I have been overlapping AAR, explode the code and reading eggs, and even occasionally bob books.

Also, the books in the core. Are they used throughout the year, or if I can borrow from the library, for up to 12 weeks, is that feasible?

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    You identified the key factor in the decision: her limited experience. While she meets the readiness, she lacks the background in English and in life that many children possess when starting SC 2. For this reason, I would begin with SC 1.

Teach as written the first 4-6 weeks. If she is capable of accelerating, you might begin to combine Mon/Tues into one day. (In other words, complete the Mon and Tues lesson in Phonics & Reading. Then complete the Mon and Tues lesson in Arithmetic.) By Weeks 8-10, you might also combine Wed/Thurs into one day. You have the flexibility to do this, if you would like.

If, however, she is doing well with the pacing and content, you might teach SC 1 as written to give her the daily discipline of concentrating, absorbing, and learning. In Science, for example, she hears about processes and cause & effect in books such as Milk: From Cow to Carton. This, by the way, is taught in Wonder, Beauty, & Imagination. You will be giving her the language, thoughts, and experiences she needs to be a stronger reader and more capable thinker.

You can think of it as firming her foundation, so you can build upon it. Even though she will review CVC words in FSR A-C, she will be learning to print, spell, and study as she goes. It sounds as if her fine-motor and writing abilities would benefit from slow-and-steady daily practice anyway. Better to do this with familiar review than with overly challenging newness.

Given everything she has endured in her young life, SC 1 seems to me like the place to start. As her confidence and abilities grow, she may then blossom tremendously in SC 2 when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

You identified the key factor in the decision: her limited experience. While she meets the readiness, she lacks the background in English and in life that many children possess when starting SC 2. For this reason, I would begin with SC 1.

Teach as written the first 4-6 weeks. If she is capable of accelerating, you might begin to combine Mon/Tues into one day. (In other words, complete the Mon and Tues lesson in Phonics & Reading. Then complete the Mon and Tues lesson in Arithmetic.) By Weeks 8-10, you might also combine Wed/Thurs into one day. You have the flexibility to do this, if you would like.

If, however, she is doing well with the pacing and content, you might teach SC 1 as written to give her the daily discipline of concentrating, absorbing, and learning. In Science, for example, she hears about processes and cause & effect in books such as Milk: From Cow to Carton. This, by the way, is taught in Wonder, Beauty, & Imagination. You will be giving her the language, thoughts, and experiences she needs to be a stronger reader and more capable thinker.

You can think of it as firming her foundation, so you can build upon it. Even though she will review CVC words in FSR A-C, she will be learning to print, spell, and study as she goes. It sounds as if her fine-motor and writing abilities would benefit from slow-and-steady daily practice anyway. Better to do this with familiar review than with overly challenging newness.

Given everything she has endured in her young life, SC 1 seems to me like the place to start. As her confidence and abilities grow, she may then blossom tremendously in SC 2 when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X