Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

re thinking history for my ASD 9th grader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaggieAnnie
    started a topic re thinking history for my ASD 9th grader

re thinking history for my ASD 9th grader

I need to hash this out and it helps me to write it up...

So I know the first few weeks are always rough...each new book is well a new thing therefore stressful and so we only add one subject every day or so the first few weeks...even books I know he will love and ones he has asked to do are often tear inducing the first day or three of them...by week 4 we are usually in a good place...until the next term anyhow

That being said I have been very apprehensive about the 9th grade in general and the American History book particularly since receiving it...the print is excruciatingly small for someone with vision issues like my ds...This is the first time a text has been a problem. I can not read the list of presidents in the back of the book, I can barely read the back cover. Ds's eyes are a bit better than mine but while his tracking is mostly resolved it is still much effort to read for long periods and small print makes that even harder.

The first assignment seemed simple enough, read chapter one...ds took one look at that wall of text and just crumpled asking to postpone it a day. We have been dealing with toxic air quality due to forest fires keeping us cooped up and struggling with feeling ill even indoors so I knew it was not the day to push and I set it aside. He is now worrying about it though... I said we could go over it on Monday and make a decision.

It seems I have a few options...
    1. buddy read it with him breaking chapter one up into 5 or more sections and read one a day and hope after a chapter of two of doing that he finds some confidence in it
    2. find a less difficult book on American History (he did all the earlier MP American history with much enjoyment)
    3. drop it all together.

His school schedule for this year is:

Algebra
    Piano
    Science: Tiner's Exploring the World of Math/Chemistry/Physics/Astronomy - one per Term - he just loves these and is sad it is the last of them
    Classical Studies, we are doing the Odyssey since we missed it due to illness last year and he hopes to get to the Aeneid.
    Literature: the Ninth lit ,we are doing all of the Book of the middle ages it really bothers him to skip sections of things we might drop a whole book as needed
    Logic- just a semester over a year. Not an easy class from him but important I think
    Christian Studies: Story of Christianity plus an Orthodox psalms study.
    Latin- My choice
    German- his choice ha.

Looking at it all laid out...it is a lot, More than I realized!

Math and Science are easy for him, he loves the Classical/Christian studies...they are hard for him esp moving into all the "once central idea" level of work...but he works at it, literature in general is hard...he does love history but struggles with large blocks of text but will share new info for days...he does not like learning from video, it makes him anxious and he struggles with audio...he really enjoys foreign languages and progresses if very slowly. He comes across as a rather slow paced but good student. I always think of the gospel of Mathew and the son who said he would not work in the vineyard then repents and goes to work...that is ds.

He puts a lot of pressure on himself to do "regular work like (sister)" Even though sister has had her work modified for her learning issues...he can not help but compare. DD did an online American history class that is not an option for ds.

I understand why American history is important but I just wonder if it is just not a good option for ds. Perhaps it will make a challenging but doable schedule overwhelming. He has been very worried about "being a big high schooler" I want his transition to feel positive and successful, I know he will be challenged by the Lit and Classical studies...but is that enough?

I guess I am having odd guilt about the idea of letting things go...of not being able to help yet another kid be "on track."

Any thoughts? Is that schedule plenty full? I am not sure why I am still holding onto the idea of a "perfect" high school schedule instead of being ok with choosing the best and appropriate one for my kid. It is not any easier the second time around!

• cherylswope
    replied
    Re: re thinking history for my ASD 9th grader

Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
    MaggieAnne,

... Between Classical Studies and The Book of the Middle Ages in Literature, plus The Story of Christianity, you already have at least one history credit.

... Looking at your list, I can say it looks like a very rich 9th grade education for any child.

Good points and well said!

Leave a comment:

• ARoxieL
    replied

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if you could do a video course for American History? Watch the videos (I have a set somewhere that were fascinating documentaries about American History though I can’t currently remember what they are) then have family discussion time to think deeply about what you’ve watched. Depending on his writing capabilities, he could potentially write some comparing/contrasting essays or do a few projects and you could definitely call it a credit based on time in “class”.

Kindest Regards,

Roxie

Leave a comment:

• MaggieAnnie
    replied

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Why do I have so many little worries the first week or so? It is not just the dc ha
    I will look into some alternative texts and see if he is feeling overwhelmed by the load on Monday and either post pone until our summer session or just take it slowly slowly through the year and summer if needed.
    I will pop over to the other forum and ask for options.

Leave a comment:

• CatherineS
    replied

MaggieAnne,

What you listed for your son is very similar to what I’m doing with my 9th grader with ASD. We are not doing American history this year. Between Classical Studies and The Book of the Middle Ages in Literature, plus The Story of Christianity, you already have at least one history credit. I think it’s going to be too much for my son to add in the modern history thread, even though that worked in middle school. Our plan is to study US History in either 10th or 11th, and do less or no Classical history that year.

I really can relate to feeling like it’s not “enough” because it has to be modified from the MP/HLS standard. But looking at your list, I can say it looks like a very rich 9th grade education for any child.

And, I also always think of my son when I hear that parable from Matthew! So much anxiety, complaining, etc, and then once he finally gets to work he is so diligent.

I hope things settle into a good routine soon for you guys.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

MaggieAnnie, if you have not already cross-posted on 9-12 for recommended alternative texts, I would do so.

I would find a different text or wait till summer and tackle American history, or both. American history is important, especially if you live in the U.S.

He might be able to manage a summer American history tutorial either from this text or from a different one structured more closely to the MP American history studies he enjoyed previously.

We know from his Horatius accomplishment that this is a dedicated, hard-working young man. You can find an alternative, guilt-free, in this situation!
    Last edited by cherylswope; 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Do you need 4 years of history?

I'm partial to doing history this year even if he only needs three years. I'd feel it looming over me every year if we skipped it.

You say audio is hard for him. Reading is hard too. I would try audio before dropping it. Both are hard, choose the lesser evil. It will eventually have to be done one way or the other. He could listen to it and then read it, or visa versa, in order to help increase comprehension.

But there must also be plenty of other less intimidating history books out there. I too would love to hear those options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X