Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Level B - Sandpaper Letters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jen1134
    started a topic Level B - Sandpaper Letters?

Level B - Sandpaper Letters?

I see sandpaper letters on the supply list for Level B, but I don't see them used anywhere in the lesson plans. I found where the sandpaper numbers are used, but not the letters. Are they actually used in this level or are they supplementary?

• Juliepauldesign@gmail.com
    replied
    Re: Level B - Sandpaper Letters?

Just to add another thought. We just finished B and are now doing C. We used the sandpaper letters as our main letters for identification bc the card was only a letter and no picture. Since they are tactile they make another sensory reference when playing "find the letter games" or doing tracing with a finger before we write the letter. I usually used them on Review weeks and every Monday we introduced a new letter. I plan on using them this year as well for find the letter reveiw games. I got ours on amazon for less than 15 bucks but that was 3 years ago. However, they still look great so if you think u will encorporate them i would suggest purchasing if u can. Any white space i can clear off to make my life easier (ie...buy not make) and it is fiscally responsible to my husband and family i say , yay.
    Hope that was helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    I’ll probably just have her do the table tracing or the whiteboard then. She’s only three and a half and NT and this is more for “Mommy and me” time than academics. Although she’s already copying her name...don’t know if we’ve ever had that before!
    I am convinced my two-year-old is a genius. She’s my only totally NT child so far. It feels weird! (But cool.) In some ways, she’s harder than her older special needs siblings. She notices more, talks about more, remembers more, demands more. It’s like arguing with an irrational, belligerent, incredibly charming adult. Hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied

We're using SC B this year, too! My little guy is doing so well already.

I have sandpaper numbers from LoE (and cursive letters, but I'll save those for SC1 or 2, whenever NAC is introduced). My DS LOVES dragging his finger over the number again and again. I have a hard time getting him to NOT use his finger nails.

The upside to the professionally made ones we have is that they don't get sand everywhere, they aren't dangerous to his skin (so far), and they haven't gouged out or become dull. I don't know how they did it, but they're awesome. It's almost like they painted OVER the sandpaper to lock the grit in.

I wish I could afford the block print or manuscript versions, but not this year. We came upon some tactile letter cards free from another mom. They're showing their wear, but we still use them when a new letter is introduced for the week. I like that mine have the uppercase and lower case next to each other, so he repeatedly sees them in pairs. We also use them like flashcards so he can trace over the letter with his finger as we review.

LoE separates theirs into capitals and lowercase letters, but they are written on a line with point by point stroke instructions on the back (i.e., "start at the baseline, curve up to the midline, roll back down around to the baseline, swing up to the midline, straight back down to the baseline, out"). My elder child needed those steps broken down. She traced, we practiced in the air, she drew with her finger on a white board, and then she wrote it down.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Agreeing with Anita...cost prohibitive. When we were doing B my oldest was starting cursive. I found some cursive sandpaper letters and chose to invest in that. And even those were predominantly un-used. I prefer the erase a letter on a whiteboard. Fewer things to buy and keep track of.

My kids have all loved writing in cornmeal in a baking pan too

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    Chiming in to say we never used sandpaper letters The purchase was cost prohibitive — even used. I still don’t understand why. You can make your own with cardboard, Elmer’s glue and sand. Or you can buy large stencil letters and glue fine grit sandpaper to the back so that the sandpaper can be felt through the stencil. However, I fully understand the time crunch one making “one more thing” for school. So the purchase may just be easier and more worthwhile. We opted out and did just fine. I used a white board and asked my kids to erase each letter with their finger to learn letter and number shapes instead.
    I’ll probably just have her do the table tracing or the whiteboard then. She’s only three and a half and NT and this is more for “Mommy and me” time than academics. Although she’s already copying her name...don’t know if we’ve ever had that before!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    Just chiming in to say that we LOVED wikki stix. My littlest still loves using them in K this year. Highly recommend that purchase.
    Chiming in to say we never used sandpaper letters The purchase was cost prohibitive — even used. I still don’t understand why. You can make your own with cardboard, Elmer’s glue and sand. Or you can buy large stencil letters and glue fine grit sandpaper to the back so that the sandpaper can be felt through the stencil. However, I fully understand the time crunch one making “one more thing” for school. So the purchase may just be easier and more worthwhile. We opted out and did just fine. I used a white board and asked my kids to erase each letter with their finger to learn letter and number shapes instead.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Just chiming in to say that we LOVED wikki stix. My littlest still loves using them in K this year. Highly recommend that purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Jen and Christine,

Cheryl is travelling, but she asked me to post that she hears you and will add instructions on how to use these letters to the CM.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Ok, then we just did both! When it said to do wiki, we also did the sandpaper.
    Actually, I just double checked and it doesn’t mention the wikki stix for letters — only numbers. No “feel the letter” exercises are mentioned either.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Yes, it explicitly plans the wikki stix
    Ok, then we just did both! When it said to do wiki, we also did the sandpaper.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    I do not have my B manual anymore. Are the wiki sticks explicitly planned? We definitely used them in B + C. I think at the front of the manual, it suggests various sensory “feel the letter” and maybe says “pick” one? I got mine from Rainbow Resources. There is a kit for level B. I used that as a guide, but did not buy the whole kit.
    Yes, it explicitly plans the wikki stix

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

I see sandpaper letters on the supply list for Level B, but I don't see them used anywhere in the lesson plans. I found where the sandpaper numbers are used, but not the letters. Are they actually used in this level or are they supplementary?
    I do not have my B manual anymore. Are the wiki sticks explicitly planned? We definitely used them in B + C. I think at the front of the manual, it suggests various sensory “feel the letter” and maybe says “pick” one? I got mine from Rainbow Resources. There is a kit for level B. I used that as a guide, but did not buy the whole kit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X