Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Homeschool Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeschool Mom

I’m new to homeschooling and I’m totally overwhelmed!!!! My daughter is 10 and has apraxia (we have OT and Speech therapy twice a week) and also sensory processing issues. She was homeschooled last year but we hired someone to come to our home and teach her. They use a spiraling curriculum last year and she is now confusing addition, subtraction and multiplication. Yes, I felt they were going too fast for her and now I’m sure! It introduced cursive to which she became frustrated with. Two years prior she was attended a Montessori school. The first year was fantastic, the second a disaster due disruptions in the class and a teacher who couldn’t handle it. So here we are.....I’m trying to figure out if Simply Curriculum would be a good fit for her or should I try a curriculum with math manipulatives with different colors ? She is definitely a hands on/visual learner so I’m looking for something to keep her interested. ANY suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!

Re: Homeschool Mom

Welcome, Marla. It sounds as though you have already identified important factors you want to change!

Take a look at the free readiness assessments for SC 2 and 3. See how she scores and report back. We can help you with placement or customize where needed. Rest assured, we teach with visual & tactile & colorful tools, but not so much as to be a distraction. Our focus is the same as yours: teaching for mastery.

Let us know if we can help further --

Comment

For the Level 2 Assessment, she scores less than 80% in Writing and Spelling (she isn't writing her own sentences yet so she's close to the 80%) and Arithmetic. For the Level 3 Assessment, she scores less than 80% in all categories. So I should place her in level 2?

Comment

Yes, SC 2 for her reading, writing, spelling, and cursive. Teach writing from the Bible version and obtain the Bible text (of stories) for additional reading practice.

Omit the read-alouds (too young) and SC Storytime (too young), and teach the Enrichment only if time permits. Focus on mastery in the core areas, her therapies, and plenty of time for practice to retain what she learns this year. Then you can reassess.

This year, teach math from whichever R&S level she needs. You will see a Customize tab when placing the SC order. Scroll to the level needed (milestonebooks.com has a scope & sequence), select the level she needs, and then the pricing will recalculate with everything you need.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help! I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders!!!

Comment

Working...
          X